Talk

Advanced search

Opening the windows

(83 Posts)
Moussemoose Sun 03-Dec-17 12:57:50

My DP tells me I shouldn't open the windows if the heating is on.

I think he is odd AIBU.

dudsville Sun 03-Dec-17 13:02:25

Different strokes for different folks. We usually have bedroom and bathroom windows open at least a smidgen even in winter.

chipsandpeas Sun 03-Dec-17 13:03:17

i dont think its odd, the heating is being wasted with the windows open imo

LadyLoveYourWhat Sun 03-Dec-17 13:05:12

Depends on why you're opening the windows. If you're too hot, turn down the heating, if you want a bit of fresh air then maybe it's OK if they're not open too long. We sleep with the window open, but the heating is off by the time we go to bed. I can see his point - why pay to heat the outdoors?

Gingernaut Sun 03-Dec-17 13:05:44

If you're too hot, turn down the heating.

You want fresh air in the room, switch off the heating in that room, keep the door closed and then open the window.

If you do this, don't keep batting back and forth, from room to room letting the heat from the rest of the house/flat escape.

Oysterbabe Sun 03-Dec-17 13:06:36

I agree with him.

onalongsabbatical Sun 03-Dec-17 13:07:24

Because heating works on a thermostat. If you use the open window to let heat off you just encourage the thermostat to keep trying to bring the heat back up, thus wasting heat and money. It's like continuously filling a bucket with water even though the bucket's got a hole in it.

OliviaStabler Sun 03-Dec-17 13:07:33

YABU. If you need the window open then presumably it is too hot so the heating should be turned off.

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 03-Dec-17 13:07:53

We've always got our bedroom windows open even in the coldest days of winter. Surely you still need fresh air to circulate around your home even when it's colder?

SemperTemper Sun 03-Dec-17 13:08:22

YABU unless you're actually trying to heat the outside world.

DorisDangleberry Sun 03-Dec-17 13:09:12

Why are you trying to heat the outside? Do you actively want a sky high heating bill? I am struggling to understand why you'd put the heating on then open the windows

mumof22017 Sun 03-Dec-17 13:13:38

I have my heating on a timer during day so it does it itself as have no thermostat and i always open all windows only slightly for 10 to 30 mins every morning regardless of if heating is on and then i leave the upstairs and bathroom window open only a couple of cms all day till the evening then all are shut all night. Houses need airing

CuriousaboutSamphire Sun 03-Dec-17 13:16:49

My windows are currently open and the heating is on. I do it most weekends over winter.

We have an old house and 2 rooms air really poorly. So I use physics to pull air through the house - hot air rises, pulling cold air through!

We get damp smelling patches otherwise!

kaytee87 Sun 03-Dec-17 13:17:57

It's actually a good idea to do this occasionally in the winter to combat damp. Houses should be aired frequently.

Bambamber Sun 03-Dec-17 13:20:38

I open all the windows in each room for 20 minutes each day regardless of how cold it is

Moussemoose Sun 03-Dec-17 13:26:42

The bedroom smellsshock

I don't like air freshener.

I want a bit of fresh air but I don't want the house to be cold.

RoseWhiteTips Sun 03-Dec-17 13:29:21

The windows should be opened in the bedroom daily. Everybody needs fresh air. We always have a bit of the window open every night and when the room is being tidied daily.

AlessandroVasectomi Sun 03-Dec-17 13:37:38

MIL never opens windows. Never. Too cold in winter - OK perhaps - but in summer it lets flies in and if you keep the windows closed it keeps the heat out. (Wtf?) Visiting for the day can be a real trial in hot summer weather.

Chewbecca Sun 03-Dec-17 13:39:55

YANBU

Heating is to keep you warm, windows are to let air in & freshen up the room.

Auldspinster Sun 03-Dec-17 13:40:21

I only have the heating on first thing in the morning and at night before i go to bed so i usually open the windows to air the place in the afternoon.

PurpleMinionMummy Sun 03-Dec-17 13:40:59

It's a waste to open them whilst the heating is on. I open mine late afternoon before the heating kicks in so we still get some fresh air in but don't lose all the heat.

FuzzyCustard Sun 03-Dec-17 13:43:05

Windows are open daily for fresh air but never when the heating is on.

MsWanaBanana Sun 03-Dec-17 13:45:51

I open all the windows in the house as soon as we get up for about 10/15 mins in winter to get in some fresh air. In summer I leave all the windows in the house open all day and put them on ventilate overnight. The heating does come on timer in the morning so I suppose I am wasting heat but it's only for a short while just to air the morning smell out the bedroom

Pinkpeppermintteaforme Sun 03-Dec-17 13:46:48

Heating off during the day and windows open in bedrooms .
Hate a stuffy house

Moussemoose Sun 03-Dec-17 14:00:19

Only me with the smelly bedroom then?

I live in a with 3 men - DP and 2 DS. They regard being cold as a moral weakness. When I put the heating on they roll their eyes at me like I'm committing a crime.

When I sneak the windows open for fresh air - they use it as an excuse to berate my lack of moral fibre for feeling the cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now