Talk

Advanced search

Is this a known Scam?

(17 Posts)
Mollie85 Sun 03-Dec-17 08:29:26

Sorry - posting for traffic. More of a WWYD? smile

Had the attached email In my inbox this morning. Obviously I’ve not purchased this game. Checked online banking and nothing has been taken from account or indeed pending.

Should I ignore?
Thanks for any advice fgrin

Gingernaut Sun 03-Dec-17 08:30:38

They want you to log in so they can get your log in details.

Gingernaut Sun 03-Dec-17 08:31:23

It goes without saying, do not use any links in the email.

Elmleaisnotcream Sun 03-Dec-17 08:31:33

Yes it is check a scam. Check the actual email address and you’ll see it’s not Apple

scurryfunge Sun 03-Dec-17 08:31:38

Yes it looks like a scam. Don't follow any links and delete it. The giveaway is the poor English.

streetlife70s Sun 03-Dec-17 08:32:05

‘And Checking Your Account Data’

gringrin Yes MASSIVELY obvious scam. Ignore and don’t ‘confirm your account data’ at all. Move the email to spam.

QuitMoaning Sun 03-Dec-17 08:32:08

Yes, scam. I have had this one. They want you to click on the links where you will be asked to enter your Apple ID and password. If you compare it to a normal one from Apple you can see the differences.

It is a very good one as I spent some time checking whereas I normally spot them instantly.

SaucyJack Sun 03-Dec-17 08:34:33

Yes, there is a scam that does that.

Best thing to do to check if an email is legit or not is to click on the bit that says "from" which will then bring up the proper email address that the person calling themselves "Amazon" or whatevs is from. If the return address is a load of gobbledygook from somewhereorother.com you can safely ignore it.

Ameliablue Sun 03-Dec-17 08:45:26

It has all the trace marks. Permanently delete email but if concerned log directly into your Apple account, not through any links in the email.

daisychain01 Sun 03-Dec-17 08:46:06

Anything that asks you to click on a link

Anything saying you've won something (other than the Premium Bonds through the official NS&I App)

Anything that asks for your account details, PIN, password or credentials

Anything that's asking you to send money because they are stranded on holiday and will pay you back later

Any of the above also having poor English spelling and grammar

Is a big fat hairy SCAM so don't fall for it!!! Delete, report to abuse@hotmail.com and never click on URLs without hovering over them and looking at them, 99.9% of the time they are unrecognisable, dodgy as fuck and need to be trashed.

daisychain01 Sun 03-Dec-17 08:49:21

Copy and paste the message into Google and include the words Is this a scam? Google will direct you to one of the many Scam lists and discussion Boards that identify these scams.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 03-Dec-17 08:49:57

The English used in this is poor (Thank you for purchase) and is a scam.

daisychain01 Sun 03-Dec-17 08:51:26

Lol I just checked the Premium Bonds App and I have just won £25.

No begging letters please

Thank you.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Sun 03-Dec-17 08:54:03

"Thank you for purchase"

Great English.

NOT! Of course it's a scam.

Stiddleficks Sun 03-Dec-17 08:55:44

Click on the senders email, that always gives them away as it won’t be a genuine email address. I’ve had four of these this week!

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 03-Dec-17 09:05:40

Report it as a phishing scam. You will get these scams from all sorts of "valid" companies - eg PayPal and Amazon (we have processed your order for £459.99 etc) trying to panic you into contacting them, thus confirming that they have reached a real and active e-mail address, and giving them the chance to get further details.

Mollie85 Sun 03-Dec-17 09:10:52

Thanks everyone! As I thought. I haven’t clicked on anything and yes the email it was sent from is a bunch of nonsense grin

I shall get on with my day cakebrew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now