Talk

Advanced search

feeling disappointed

(12 Posts)
hatethus Sat 02-Dec-17 19:07:36

Hi,
I'm currently a supply TA in a school I really love and I've been here a year. There are two other people here in a TA role also on supply. They've been here since July. I found out that one of them has been offered a job and has handed in an application form. Nothing has been advertised and I didn't know they were looking to appoint. I have asked previously if any jobs were to become available I would be interested in applying. Am I right to feel disappointed?

Ijustlovefood Sat 02-Dec-17 19:09:09

YANBU

JediStoleMyBike Sat 02-Dec-17 19:10:50

YANBU, I'm really sorry. That's shit. Any idea why they haven't advertised or why they got offered it - family or friends in school or?

hatethus Sat 02-Dec-17 19:46:28

No idea. Feel really down about it and I don't want to go back into work.

Heratnumber7 Sat 02-Dec-17 19:55:33

Isn't that illegal? I thought all jobs had to be advertised, internally and externally.

Percephone Sat 02-Dec-17 20:08:05

They can't just give someone a job without advertising and having interviews, especially in a school.

SenoritaViva Sat 02-Dec-17 20:14:02

I work in a school. Adverts HAVE to be advertised internally not just offered so what they've done is illegal unless you missed it on the staff noticeborad.

spanieleyes Sat 02-Dec-17 20:14:11

Yes they can! There is no legal reason why they HAVE to advertise and interview-not even for Head vacancies. It might be best practice to do so, but it's not illegal

hatethus Sat 02-Dec-17 20:29:38

The other person on supply who wasn't offered a job feels the same as me, although he keeps talking about discrimination. I feel so down about this.

spanieleyes Sat 02-Dec-17 20:33:29

That is a problem with NOT advertising, it does leave the school open to claims of discrimination.

Lanaa Sat 02-Dec-17 20:36:44

This happened to me once, I was really upset but it was a genuine oversight. I actually got the job in the end. Have you spoken to the head? If not call your agency and have them chat to them.

Hopefully it will sort itself out. Yanbu to be upset. It's an awful feeling.

hatethus Sat 02-Dec-17 20:52:13

Thank you for the advice. I will see if I can have a chat with the head. I like to think I am a hard worker and I am really invested in the wellbeing if the children I work with. I've been trying to come away from supply to have a bit if consistency in life. Especially now I am looking after a sick relative.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: