Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be a bit irritated?

(18 Posts)
WellWhyNot Sat 02-Dec-17 16:26:58

First of all, I should say that I know this is absolutely none of my business. I completely get it's nothing to do with me whatsoever, but it has left me feeling a bit annoyed.

I was at a party a few days ago, with a few close friends but also some friends of friends.

I'd met one of these friends of friends before. She's nice, but can come across as being quite self-centred. For example, she never asks people how they are, and instead always talks about herself and what she's doing - e.g. how much she's earning, how she always gets to stay in lovely hotels, how her DC are in very good schools, how she's kind of seeing this guy but not really etc etc etc.....

Anyway, the other day, she was saying that she was getting really concerned because she hasn't paid her council tax bill for three months and she was really worried that this would count against her. She works in banking, so was saying that it's stressing her out particularly because in her profession, she needs to show that she's an upstanding citizen and reputable. Paying the bill (or not paying the bill) is totally in her hands though, isn't it?

I just felt a bit irritated (didn't say anything though, as I know it's NONE of my business) because she's the only person stopping herself from paying the bloody bill....! AIBU to feel a bit irritated? (Wanted to vent on here as can't vent in real life!!)

Bluntness100 Sat 02-Dec-17 16:28:54

Honestly I’m not sure why it bothers you or you remotely give a shit. She’s not even your friend, she’s a friend of a friend, honestly why do you not only give a shit but a huge one at that?

PurpleDaisies Sat 02-Dec-17 16:29:15

What did you say during the conversation? I don’t think I could have not asked why she hadn’t paid it if she’s already said she was earning loads.

WellWhyNot Sat 02-Dec-17 16:32:45

She told everyone why she hasn't paid it. Apparently she's waiting for a council tax discount as she's living on her own. But she still needs to pay the council tax she owes before she gets the discount, doesn't she? She just didn't want to pay, so hasn't paid anything so far. It just fucks me off - I find it really irresponsible and entitled.

Everything always has to be about her, and it really, really pisses me off.

HeavyMetalMummy Sat 02-Dec-17 16:33:19

Unless there is an actual financial barrier stopping her from paying it, I'd stop being annoyed and just marvel at her stupidity. Not paid it for 3 months, good grief what a plonker.

traviata Sat 02-Dec-17 16:34:09

she sounds extremely insecure and very annoying.

WellWhyNot Sat 02-Dec-17 16:34:39

My thoughts exactly HeavyMetal!! There's no financial barrier, according to her - she's on a brilliant wage (she told everyone how much she's on, of course).

WellWhyNot Sat 02-Dec-17 16:35:15

She is traviata.

sooperdooper Sat 02-Dec-17 16:35:42

If they haven't calculated the discount she might not have had the bill through from them yet, they'll calculate it against the remaining months won't they? But meh, it's her issue, it wouldn't bother me either way

WellWhyNot Sat 02-Dec-17 16:37:38

sooper she has no idea if they've sent her anything, as she doesnt check her post.

RavingRoo Sat 02-Dec-17 16:38:20

As she works in banking she probablyknows the system and knows the council makes a final demand before it goes to court. Dh did a similar thing when council were overcharging him- after 6 missed payments before the council sent a demand letter and a rebate for the total amount owed on the same day.

HoundOfTheBasketballs Sat 02-Dec-17 16:40:14

Council tax is the only bill where, if you go to prison for non-payment, you still owe the money when you come back out again.
With any other bill the prison sentence is served in lieu of payment. Not council tax.
Maybe mention this to her the next time you see her.

WhoWants2Know Sat 02-Dec-17 16:40:42

Do you mean that it’s taken 3 months for the council to re-issue her updated bill after she applied for a single person discount? That’s a bit different from repeatedly ignoring a notice of non-payment.

In any case, she can be sure that one way or another, the council will get their money.

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Sat 02-Dec-17 16:40:57

Why do you care? You don't have to see this person she isn't a friend and it doesn't affect your life.

WellWhyNot Sat 02-Dec-17 16:41:53

WhoWants - I mean that she's repeatedly ignored the notice.

WellWhyNot Sat 02-Dec-17 16:43:14

Lola - I care because this person asks me what they should do about it, because they were getting really worried. And I was pretty pissed off at how irresponsible they were being. It felt like they were trying to show off that nothing had happened to them yet, so they could just try it on. They haven't paid their TV licence either.

Bluntness100 Sat 02-Dec-17 16:47:43

Clearly, we are different people. You obviously dislike her intently, so personally I’d just shrug it off and not engage, i certainly wouldn’t give it any headspace. I genuinely don’t know why you give a flying fuck if she pays her bills or not, if I found I couldn’t leave her company and she was droning on, I’d just make sympathetic noises but be thinking of something else.

Sorry, I’m really not getting it.

The80sweregreat Mon 04-Dec-17 16:27:55

Its really her problem. move on - she will pay it i bet. Just was looking for some attention probably.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now