Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how common gaslighting is?

(5 Posts)
Hiptrip Sat 02-Dec-17 11:01:33

www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-41915425

ConciseandNice Sat 02-Dec-17 11:09:31

I was with someone for 4 years who did exactly what is talked about in this link. It makes for depressing reading.

I also wasn't allowed to lock the bathroom door. or even go in there alone.

I wasn't allowed to sleep. If I yawned I got hit.

I wasn't allowed to listen to music I liked, nor admit to liking anything just in case it didn't meet with his approval.

I wasn't allowed to say no to sex.

I was alone with no family or friends, because he managed to get me entirely isolated.

The list goes on......

DesignedForLife Sat 02-Dec-17 11:16:39

Concise, so glad you got out, that sounds hell.

I was with a guy once who was like this, but not quite so extreme. But he was trying his best to make & keep me ill and say that I couldn't cope without him. Thank goodness I saw the light quickly and got out after 6 months. Those 6 months were the worst of my life.

mustbemad17 Sat 02-Dec-17 11:17:31

I think it's more common than people realise - the terminology is fairly new, but the reality is ages old. I'm glad this is slowly being recognised as a very serious issue

ConciseandNice Sat 02-Dec-17 11:29:48

So, prompted by this thread I just looked up my narcissist ex on Facebook. Why oh why did I do that.

It turns out he is now living his life as a woman. His FB is full of links to women's groups and feminist stuff. I hate him so much, my stomach is full of acid.

This man raped me with a broken bottle.
He destroyed me physically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now