Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about DD

(10 Posts)
carmelsundae Sat 02-Dec-17 10:27:08

Aibu to be worried about my Dd. She's 15 months and doesn't walk or talk. She is able to cruise holding furniture or a toy but can't stand unsupported or showing any interest in walking.
She can't talk, she says Dada to everything and that's pretty much it. She does follow some instructions, but doesn't do things like wave.
My hv is totally hopeless. She saw her at 8 months and at that point said she was fine as could sit and had a pincer grip. My DD had a few non serious health things when she was young which has left me quite anxious about her. When I previously said to my hv I was worried about her development she said it was all due to my anxiety.
Should i be worried at the lack of walking/talking at 15 months or is this 'normal'

Sunnyshores Sat 02-Dec-17 10:39:51

There are many variations of 'normal' but youre obviously worried, so I would go back to your GP, or ask to see another HV.

BarbarianMum Sat 02-Dec-17 10:40:39

Lack of walking and talking at 15 months us totally normal. She's clearly on the way to walking anyway, given that she's cruising.

Can I ask why you were concerned about her development a few months ago? Have you always had concerns?

EmmaGrundyForPM Sat 02-Dec-17 10:44:35

Sunnyshores is right. What you're describing sounds within the normal range to me ( ds1 didn't walk until 18 months and didn't have many words at 15 months and he grew up fine). But if you're worried then talk to a HV.

Also, remember that language isn't just about talking. My ds didn't talk much but he did understand what I said a lot of the time. Simple stuff, obviously, like "would you like some milk" or "where's teddy?" Rather than nuclear physics!

Yellowheart Sat 02-Dec-17 10:46:00

My little boy is 15 months and not walking either. I just figure he’ll get there eventually. I’m trying really hard not to stress about it. A doctor told me up to 18 months is within normal range

Myheartbelongsto Sat 02-Dec-17 10:48:15

My first walked at 15 months and my second at 9 and I can't remember when the third did anything!

My first was a late talker also.

I'd wouldn't be worried at all op.

Abetes Sat 02-Dec-17 10:48:38

If you are worried about her, definitely go back and see your GP, but also consider if she is hitting other milestones which you can access from a baby development book or the internet.
My dd started walking at 16 months - no tottering little steps, just nothing and then practically running. She also didn’t say much until she was 2 and then it was pretty much full sentences right from then. She has recently got all A stars in her GCSEs and is a very normal teenager in every way. So, it is very possible that your dd is taking her time as a baby like mine did. It is very frustrating when you see other babies tottering about and saying words, but if you are worried then I would definitely take her to see someone to put your mind at rest and, if she does have additional needs, the earlier you find out the better.

carmelsundae Sat 02-Dec-17 11:26:11

Thanks all. I've always been worried about her, but Tbh most of it is unjustified. I've been getting some help for the anxiety I have, but I still have a niggle that something isn't right with her and No one is listening to me.
I can't think now, what has previously worried me... She didn't roll till she was over 6 months, she couldn't tolerate tummy time at all, she didn't start making any sounds till nearly a year, didn't crawl till she was about a year.
She now is following some instructions... the other day I said about putting her shoes on and she came back with her shoes! She can use a spoon to eat (messily) and can point to some body parts.
But the lack of global development still worries me and unsure if I'm just being irrational or not. It sounds like I possibly am!?

LordSugarWillSeeYouNow Sat 02-Dec-17 11:33:50

Hi op I really wouldn't worry though I understand how hard it is not to...

I have 2 dc and they couldn't have been more different.

Ds is now 14, he walked at 12 months, didn't talk much until he was 2 and was toilet trained at 2.

Dd is now 6, she also walked at 12 months, was talking in full sentences a few months later but massively struggled with toilet training and was well over 3.

My dp didn't walk until he was 22 months!

There is absolutely no "normal" flowers

BlackeyedSusan Sat 02-Dec-17 12:27:39

the not waving thing is the interesting thing for me.

she defintely understands, so that is good. (shoes)

she sounds very like dd who walked at 17.5 months. I was gearing up to go back to the health visitor, so remember.

she did not say much until about 22 months. (there was a lot of oh my goodness she is not going to make the 50 word at 24 months assessment) then onh my goodness did she talk. and get really interested words, and numbers... confused

however, she does have hypermobility syndrome, (bendy and weaker muscle strength) and still has issues with movement and coordination. she hated tummy time, was at the later end of normal for physical milestones, bruises easily.

she also is getting assessed for autism. (the not waving, or asking to be picked up or pointing at objects were the early signs, but there were not enough to put together until she was 9 yrs to seek referral)

however, I would not worry yet. your dd is still in the range of normal. concerns need to be taken to the gp if she is still not walking at 18months and not talking sufficiently at 24 months. (ds had speech therapy as he did not hit the 50 word milestone)

and do not assume that your dd is like mine. just because mine was similar does not mean yours will have the same conditions.

my cousin did not talk early or much, then came out with a whole perfectly formed sentence when out with my mum, much to everyones amazement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: