Talk

Advanced search

To offer a stranger on the train a tissue?

(35 Posts)
CarbyDiem Sat 02-Dec-17 09:06:04

It’s either that or stabbing him through the brain with a fork.

Sniff Sniff Sniff Sniff Sniff Sniff Sniff Sniff Sniff

JollyGiraffe Sat 02-Dec-17 09:07:28

YANBU.

It's probably annoying him more than it is you (although why do so many people with colds not carry tissues with them?!)

Battleax Sat 02-Dec-17 09:08:16

It would be kind. Try to do it kindly?

Thishatisnotmine Sat 02-Dec-17 09:08:21

Do it. He will most likely be very greatful.

juls1888 Sat 02-Dec-17 09:09:05

I've done that's before...it was like torture, constantly sniff, sniff, sniff. Silly bint said no and looked all huffy and offended but did stop sniffing!

CarbyDiem Sat 02-Dec-17 09:10:14

Stab him or offer a tissue?

LemonShark Sat 02-Dec-17 09:11:16

YABU. He knows he's doing it and probably can't help it. You've never had a cold so bad that blowing your nose does literally nothing? Once I was on a train in this position and no matter how much I blew my nose nothing worked and it was either sniff or let the snot run out of my nose and down my face. A woman in the next aisle gave me a few filthy stares and I couldn't help myself so ended up sat not sniffing holding a tissue to my nose to just let it drain out constantly. Grim. Wish I'd had the balls then to ask her what her problem was and say I was doing my bloody best

Battleax Sat 02-Dec-17 09:11:54

Throw the fork out of the window now, before this takes a bad turn grin

YouStoleTheBowlFromTheRoom Sat 02-Dec-17 09:13:26

Sure, as long as you’ve got a good poker face grin Can picture you now, delivering the line with all the warmth of a Terminator asking if he’s Sarah Connor!

BakedBeans47 Sat 02-Dec-17 09:13:36

YANBU

This would make me feel standby

And of course he can help it, if he had a hanky he could wipe his nose

BakedBeans47 Sat 02-Dec-17 09:13:50

stabby

RedRedBluee Sat 02-Dec-17 09:17:13

This happened to me last week blush
I gratefully accepted. I was listening to music and didn't realise how annoying it must have been.

Frazzled2207 Sat 02-Dec-17 09:17:29

Definitely offer

TangledInTinsel Sat 02-Dec-17 09:18:00

Maybe he left his tissues at home? I don't think I'd have the guts though! Do you have an unopened packet you could spare?

BobbinThreadbare123 Sat 02-Dec-17 09:18:48

I stab them in my mind. I have given (usually male) people a tissue before. Usually grateful. Often apologetic. We have a moment of sympathy about the hay-fever/cold etc.

Tartyflette Sat 02-Dec-17 09:19:16

I was sitting next to a woman on a train and she was clearly struggling with a bad cold, streaming nose and one already-sodden tissue. I offered her a small handy pack of tissues and she was very grateful.
Good deed fot the day sorted. grin

AnnettePrice Sat 02-Dec-17 09:26:42

It seems normal now.
Also coughing without covering the mouth.
Wish there was another gov 'coughs and sneezes spread diseases' health campaign.
I'm thinking of plastering my office with these posters.

They wonder why uk productivity isn't what it should be, it because we are constantly ill, being infected by thoughtless people.

if you see any plastered around train stations.....no it wasn't me 😇

Originalfoogirl Sat 02-Dec-17 09:26:57

Do it. It would be a nice thing to do.

flissfloss65 Sat 02-Dec-17 09:28:11

If he was bothered surely he'd go to the loo and use the tissue paper there?

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sat 02-Dec-17 09:31:02

I've done it before. He looked confused but as I continued to stare encouragingly at him he eventually said "Uh...thank...you..?"

Then 5 seconds later... "SNIIIFFFF!"

I moved.

nonetcurtains Sat 02-Dec-17 09:32:40

STB

MarthasHarbour Sat 02-Dec-17 09:34:11

FFS just give him a tissue. I suffer with sinusitis and always carry tissues but have been caught short in the past. It is fucking miserable to deal with. I have had both shitty looks and kind folk offering me a tissue. I have always been so grateful.

Have some compassion people hmm

Mrsmadevans Sat 02-Dec-17 09:37:14

Is he sniffing due to a cold or is it from Sniffing substances?
I didn't realise until now that cocaine and glue sniffing makes the person sniff terribly. I avoid ppl like the plague now if they sniff not just because of the catching a cold .I phoned BT for their Black Friday deal broadband and the man on the end of the phone was sniffing and sniffing . I stopped the transaction and rang another time to get someone who didn't sniff. Perhaps I am being SNIFFIST mwah haha. Go or it op give them a tissue and well done , good deed for the day !

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sat 02-Dec-17 09:39:15

God, I'd be delighted if I thought my fellow commuters were sniffing because of their coke habits and not because they are simmering with snotty infectious ness!

Moussemoose Sat 02-Dec-17 09:43:37

Stab

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now