Talk

Advanced search

sleep: to be jealous of other people?

(15 Posts)
PurplePillowCase Sat 02-Dec-17 00:09:07

I need 7 hours to function, 8-9 ideally.
dh much less.
I'm jealous.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Sat 02-Dec-17 00:19:13

I'm like you OP. I literally can't cope on less than 7...if it's less than 6 then I'm basically useless.

Also, if I get woken up at night even once, I am so tired the next day that I can't manage and have to have a nap!

When my DC were smaller, I stopped waking up once they hit three...I just failed to rouse unless there was absolute screaming. I'm not proud of that...but I think my body just said "Nope!" DH did all night wakings from about the age of 3 from then on.

DH also did around half of the baby wakings.He's fine on broken sleep and can cope on about 5 hours a night well.

KeepServingTheDrinks Sat 02-Dec-17 01:08:02

Got a little one? I know. I feel for you. It gets better. In a weird way, you'll kinda miss it!

TurnOfTheShoe Sat 02-Dec-17 01:12:18

Are you jealous of him generally needing less or is it that you’re not currently getting enough?

I need less than you but also have insomnia so I’m not currently getting enough. I have massive sleep envy of other people quite regularly because of that.

BackBoiler Sat 02-Dec-17 06:40:15

Sleep is important. 4hrs does me but then i need a catch up night where i have 12.

MinervaSaidThat Sat 02-Dec-17 06:42:17

I think you should count yourself lucky you can sleep 8-9 hours. Lots of insomniacs out there.

BackBoiler Sat 02-Dec-17 06:43:19

I did have a night after surgery of sleeping for 5 mins (deeply and thinking it was longer) out of every hour. Id sleep for 5 mins after pressing my morphine button.

The next day i was really confused. It was scary!

TrinitySquirrel Sat 02-Dec-17 06:43:41

I've put on about a stone in weight because lack of sleep has totally fucked my body.

I must be the only person that can do sw or ww or whatever else and put on 3lbs that week.

I should be in a medical journal.

Sirzy Sat 02-Dec-17 06:45:13

Sleeping 7 hours sounds like bliss to me!

dudsville Sat 02-Dec-17 07:15:11

I'm an insomniac. I once had a friend, new mother, complain when she asked me how I was and I said I was struggling as I was in a bad patch (bad for me is a couple of hours in total broken into bits through the night). I can't remember who quote but something along the lines of my complaint was out of order to a new mum. I never spoke about it again but all I could think was that I'd always been this way and always will be. You only have a few years per child. It's totally worse being awake AND having to parent, but I will never get an 8 hour sleep and I fantasise about what life would be like on that in terms of my brain, my skin and health. Oops, meant to say I get the jealousy!

Ellisandra Sat 02-Dec-17 07:24:11

I don't feel jealous, as such.
But I do get irritated by the comments I get from colleagues (we travel together a lot, which is why they know my sleep habits!)

- light weight! (when leaving the bar first)
- you're really not a morning person are you? (I sleep as long as I can, I don't 'potter' in the morning)

They might sound like throwaway comments and that I'm over sensitive, but trust me over the years I've become bored with people feeling the need to comment and sometimes there's a definite undertone of suggesting my need for sleep is a weakness.

One colleague definitely thinks she's morally superior because she fucks about watching TV from 06:30 confused

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Sat 02-Dec-17 07:30:34

I'm jealous of people who can fall asleep and stay asleep so they can get enough rest. I can function on 4 hours of broken sleep because I have to - many nights that's the best I can get. I just about function though. It's not good for me or for those around me!

Enjoy your sleep and long may it last OP!

Eolian Sat 02-Dec-17 07:32:58

It's pretty normal to need 7-8 hours sleep, and almost everybody probably does need that much even if they appear to function on much less. Barring babies or insomnia, getting 7-8 hours sleep should be pretty achievable.

CheckpointCharlie2 Sat 02-Dec-17 07:50:47

duds that's horrible. Presumably you've tried everything? A friend of mine has insomnia and the sleepy lotion from lush has helped her, as well as meditation but as above, I presume you've tried those.

I can't function on very little sleep either, and often need to sleep at the weekend to catch up.

Merida83 Sat 02-Dec-17 08:01:28

I used to say I needed min 8 hours to feel rested happy and able to function.

Then dd was born and while I'm no longer rested or happy (jk) turns out I can function on much less 😂

Always been jealous of dh who could always easily function on 6. Tho now with dd he is less able to function than I am. Makes no sense tbh none at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now