Advanced search

Loud music

(7 Posts)
MrsKTx Fri 01-Dec-17 23:29:58

I live in a flat and the man below us plays loud very bass heavy music most nights. He will play this past 11pm on a weeknight and currently has it going now!
For those that have been to work all week and are really tired and just want to go to bed, this really pisses me off.
I don't really know what to and don't want to make enemies or appear a busy body with my neighbours...
WIBU to say something to him? What could I do?!

Justadh Fri 01-Dec-17 23:33:04

Knock on his door and explain!! That's what I did!!

BackforGood Fri 01-Dec-17 23:39:40

It would seem a good place to start - a polite "I don't know if you are aware quite how much your music carries into our flat - is there anyway you could turn it down, and also stop the noise earlier in the evenings please?"

I'm not convinced anyone who plays music like that can not know they are disturbing people, but it is the first place to try. After that, I'd keep a diary - a note of when you have asked and then a note of the times / days/ how often, and build up some evidence.

Meowstro Fri 01-Dec-17 23:40:11

Knock and explain nicely and calmly (it may help to do it after the incident has passed of you're wound up at the time). Next step if ignored is a polite reminder letter that is dated and time recorded and take a picture of the letter and evidence of you putting it through. Last step is local authority's Noise Nuisance team - not all in one day of course give it a couple of days.

Chrys2017 Sat 02-Dec-17 00:05:17

I'd always start with a polite letter first, and give him the opportunity to "not realise" how loud his music is. People sometimes get defensive when confronted face to face. Maybe suggest that he get a set of wireless headphones (or offer to buy him some if you can afford it) then he can enjoy his music and you can enjoy your peace & quiet.
If that doesn't work you can complain to your council's environmental services, and/or the landlord.
Good luck. It's a horrible situation to be in.

MrsKTx Sat 02-Dec-17 08:35:58

Thanks everyone 😊

jaseyraex Sat 02-Dec-17 08:46:52

I have this with my neighbour. Knocked on his door at 1.15 in the morning to ask him to turn it down (not even off, just down!), he called me a nosy cow and said no because it wasn't even late hmm I phone the noise pollution team every time now. He's had a fine, had his stereo system confiscated, and is on a final warning. Anymore issues and he'll be evicted. Have a word with your neighbour and hope they're nice enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now