Talk

Advanced search

Pay in a small company

(14 Posts)
Mancs1979 Fri 01-Dec-17 19:38:31

First, I must prefix this AIBU with an acknowledgement that in this climate I should be lucky to have a job. Never the less, this is how I feel....

I work for a small company - just the owner, her husband and me.

I've been there just over a year, and was employed to replace a previous employee who I'm told was dismissed. Being such a small company, the owners told me their version of events, and the various shortcomings of the former employee.

Coming from a different type of business, I've brought a lot of new experience, techniques and knowledge. I've implemented new policies, software, methods - all designed to make the business more resilient, efficient, and in better shape to increase turnover.

Imagine my surprise when today I found out that the previous employee not only started on more than I earn today, but they effectively earn 30% more than me when inflation is taken into account.... and according to the owners, this person was lazy, incompetent, did the bare minimum, etc.

AIBU to be really pissed off at this?

AIBU to stop doing anything more than I was actually employed to do?

Part of me thinks I should continue with my level of performance and seek a new job. I don't know. I'm just not sure I can do this - especially since one of the projects I proposed, and I'm leading, will be bringing the company more than my annual salary in the space of 3 or 4 weeks. And no, there's been no mention of any bonus.

Why should I continue to help their business when there's no incentive to do anything more than the bare minimum. Hell, the previous person got more than me, and apparently managed to be substandard for years :S

TaggieRR Fri 01-Dec-17 19:42:09

I would look for another job with no guilt at all. If you can get a better salary and a better role, go for it!

Cornettoninja Fri 01-Dec-17 19:43:01

Have you asked for a pay rise/bonus?

YouCantArgueWithStupid Fri 01-Dec-17 19:44:21

I was in this position when I wrote tenders on a consultancy basis. They paid me £10.50 an hour and I used to bring in £1m PA tenders.

WillowWeeping Fri 01-Dec-17 19:44:37

Just ask for a pay rise confused

Mancs1979 Fri 01-Dec-17 19:47:22

I asked for a pay rise about 6 weeks ago, coincidentally, to close to what my predecessor asked for.

They claimed they couldn't afford this - but in such a small company, I've got enough of an overview of the finances to know this isn't the case (and if it was, there are other areas that can be cut back)

RaeSkywalker Fri 01-Dec-17 19:49:58

How did you find out?

I’d start looking for something else.

Julie8008 Fri 01-Dec-17 19:53:00

Maybe they paid the previous employee to much and have realised their mistake. I think asking for a performance related pay bonus would be fair and if they dont come up with something you can live with, then hand in your notice.

But it would be childish to stay and not give it your best.

Julie8008 Fri 01-Dec-17 19:53:44

Obviously you thought the pay was enough when you accepted the job, nothing has changed other than your perception.

Caroelle Fri 01-Dec-17 19:54:58

Try again and show that you will not be fobbed off. Could you write a list of the work that you have done and the benefits to the company that you have brought. Show the additional skills that you have used and how this has benefitted them. Suggest that your salary be increased to the salary the previous incumbent was on when they left plus another 5%. Show them what they will lose if you move on. If they say that they can’t afford it identify where savings can be made. If they then say no, look for another job.

Millybingbong Fri 01-Dec-17 19:57:39

I don't really see the issue. You were appointed to d a job at a salary you agreed with. Previous arrangements are not really relevant. It would be different if there were a number of you employed there now doing the same job on different wages.

I might however seek a performance related increase and if that were not forthcoming I might start to look elsewhere.

Trills Fri 01-Dec-17 19:57:52

What the previous employee made is not a particularly relevant data point here.

It was a different time, a different person, possibly a different job.

What you will make elsewhere when you leave, if they don't pay you properly, is relevant.

timeisnotaline Fri 01-Dec-17 20:00:01

I think try again as caroelle suggests minus where else they could save, as you know they don't need to and its not your problem. They need to pay people what they are worth or they can't run a business. Im mainly suggesting because it's such a good opportunity to practice negotiating and selling yourself. Start job hunting.

foxyloxy78 Sat 02-Dec-17 11:32:08

How did you find out what the other person was on? Start looking for a new job. There's no real future in this company. They are clearly taking advantage of you and don't value you. They will beg you to stay when you hand in your notice, but stay strong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now