Talk

Advanced search

Egypt in january

(11 Posts)
CrabappleCake Fri 01-Dec-17 16:26:28

Anyone been to Red Sea area in January. Is it OK for snorkeling?

NewtsSuitcase Fri 01-Dec-17 16:35:09

You might have a bigger problem on your hands than good snorkeling if you travel to Egypt atm. getting travel insurance for one thing. Foreign office advise against all but essential travel.

guestofclanmackenzie Fri 01-Dec-17 16:37:11

We've been in February to Sharm and it was fantastic weather, and great for snorkelling.

That was before the terrorist attacks though...

NewtsSuitcase Fri 01-Dec-17 16:39:45

I've been loads but you can't easily fly into Sharm and you can't travel cross country so you're pretty restricted.

exLtEveDallas Fri 01-Dec-17 16:45:49

Yes you can snorkel in Jan - we snorkeled last year in Dec and the sea was fine. In Jan you probably want to wear a long sleeved rash vest if you are just floating around.

Hurghada is perfectly safe and lots of snorkelling in and around the town or Makadi Bay.

If you want to go to Sharm you’ll have to fly into Hurghada and either get a domestic flight up to Sharm (costs about £60 and takes 40-45 mins) or you can book a taxi/tour guide for about £90 but it’s a good 8 hours. The flight is much better!

Bambamber Fri 01-Dec-17 16:49:35

Went to hurghada in December a couple of years ago, snorkelling was beautiful. Went scuba diving as well and a couple of dolphins swam with us for a couple of minutes, was a lovely experience

specialsubject Fri 01-Dec-17 17:08:21

Fco advises against all non essential air travel to sharm airport, and through the land area north of it. The resort itself is OK.
That means no travel insurance, bad idea.

Hurghada?

Mycarsmellsoflavender Fri 01-Dec-17 17:12:15

Went diving in Sharm in January about 15 years ago. Weather-wise it was fantastic. Food was a bit limited - it's a desert. Not much fresh fruit.

Aridane Fri 01-Dec-17 17:19:51

Have been to Hurghada last two years, this year in January and last year in February.

Loved it but fuck was it cold in February two years ago at night. Took 'winter sun' clothes and it went down to 10 degrees!!! (though apparently unseasonably cold). This year I bought warmer clothes for the evening.

TBH - I found it too cold to swim in the sea.

I had a lovely time both years - definitely recommend!

Sunnydays365 Fri 01-Dec-17 18:01:35

Fco advise not to go to sharm. Hurghada u is NOT on the restricted area, all tour ops are still flying into Hurghada. It's fabulous for snorkeling by the way

CrabappleCake Sat 02-Dec-17 04:02:00

Hurghada is fine to fly to and you can fly into Sharm from Cairo. Went to Sharm about eight years ago and as I’m not really a lie by the pool person (long story why I was even on the holiday) I loved the snorkelling so was keen to see if ok in January. Think I’ll take a rash vest just to be on the safe side. Only there four days this time.

Food was good in Sharm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now