Talk

Advanced search

To say the threat of N Korea is very scary.

(14 Posts)
lightlite Fri 01-Dec-17 15:57:39

Try not to watch the news but sometimes i accidentally catch something. The latest being N Korea has a missile thought to be able to reach Washington. The latest test fire was successful. Bloody hell, is it worth planning for Christmas, Can anyone offer any reassurance, i feel very unsettled and quite scared.

Rebeccaslicker Fri 01-Dec-17 16:01:13

I may be catastrophically wrong but I'm actually more worried about drones being used to drop bombs or diseases on the public by terrorists as that seems more likely. I don't think kim is insane enough to actually fire a missile at the US.

The drones worry me, however.

Rebeccaslicker Fri 01-Dec-17 16:01:30

Ok so that wasn't remotely reassuring, sorry!!!

lightlite Fri 01-Dec-17 16:02:58

Maybe not rebecca but my fear is that Trump decides enough is enough and launches a first strike.

wasonthelist Fri 01-Dec-17 16:03:55

I am not worried - everyone (except Kim) has too much to lose to start anything daft.

Also their missiles are about as much use a chocolate kettle in the reliability stakes.

I suspect China holds the keys to this - and they really really don't want a war breaking out.

Rebeccaslicker Fri 01-Dec-17 16:06:07

Trump? He's literally all fart and no poo.

Trust me. It's the drones you want to worry about!

Kursk Fri 01-Dec-17 16:06:35

Drones are a concern, Kim is unlikely to launch a nuclear strike. A EMP strike is much more likely and easier.

wasonthelist Fri 01-Dec-17 16:07:19

Trump is a narcissistic idiot, but he isn't generally interested in dying - and he is surrounded by people who are brighter and less self-absorbed.

What will stop him launching a first strike is that there's nothing in it for him.

cathyclown Fri 01-Dec-17 16:07:43

Missiles can be intercepted in flight by either side, hopefully to fall in the sea (unpopulated area).

It is brinkmanship. Kim is a highly educated individual and is playing games to keep him in absolute power, so that the army doesn't "coup" him like Mugabe recently. It's all a game.

Anyway, I don't think about it. Typical men. Mine's bigger than yours, no it's not na na na.

I think the NK missiles are fakes anyway. Plastic tat from China. wink..

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 01-Dec-17 16:09:33

No I don't think either Jong Un or Trump has any intention of firing anything (and also suspect those around them pulling the puppet strings are likely to block it should they every take it upon themselves to think "fuckit, I'm killing the lot of them").

What worries me more is the damage Trump is doing in other ways. The fact that America has seen several high-profile sackings amidst the Weinstein scandal but allows it's Commander In Chief to remain in office despite many, many allegations against him. How? How on earth can anyone trust or rely on someone so wholly devoted to serving himself?

wasonthelist Fri 01-Dec-17 16:12:03

To do any serious damage with drones you'd need a very large number of them or some very big ones. Accumulation of either would be likely to attract the attention of the spooks. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not that likely IMHO

Kursk Fri 01-Dec-17 16:12:20

WhooooAmI24601

Because there is no alternative to Trump right now

lightlite Fri 01-Dec-17 16:13:57

I think the NK missiles are fakes anyway. Plastic tat from China. wink..
Haha, brilliant, that's exactly the kind of post i'd hoped for. love it.

Fortybingowings Fri 01-Dec-17 16:15:58

Quite possibly but we can’t waste our energies worrying about the risks over which we have no control.
Risk perception is a funny thing. We have a tendency to worry about nuclear strikes but not the risks right in front of our nose. For instance the risk of cancer associated with obesity, smoking and alcohol. Those we CAN do something about. FWIW I’m a non smoker with normal BMI but I like a drink grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now