Talk

Advanced search

To think this an odd choice of names?

(100 Posts)
Hadenoughoftumble Fri 01-Dec-17 14:34:15

I was joined on to a ‘mummy’ group on Facebook and lots of it is people posting pictures of their ‘gawjus bubs’ and asking advice. A woman posted pictures of her twin sons from their newborn photo shoot with the caption ‘my gorgeous boys Ronnie and Reggie’.

Now Aibu to think it’s really strange to give your sons the same names as the Kray twins? There were lots of comments along the lines of ‘After the Krays?? Love it!! So cute!!’

Lots of people seem to glamourise the Kray twins and think of them as ‘proper gangsters’ and think of them fondly for some reason. One of them stabbed someone in the face and neck with a carving knife and used to rape men; the other stalked his first wife after she left to the point that she killed herself (I know that is disputed).

Aibu to think it’s not an association you would want for your twin sons?

LloydColeandtheCoconuts Fri 01-Dec-17 14:37:49

An odd choice, agreed! But nowt as queer as folk!

ILoveMillhousesDad Fri 01-Dec-17 14:39:00

Absolute idiot.

ILoveMillhousesDad Fri 01-Dec-17 14:39:18

The parents. Not you OP

thewisestoldelf Fri 01-Dec-17 14:39:18

Weird.

I'd rather not name my twins after two psychopaths

Jerseysilkvelour Fri 01-Dec-17 14:40:22

That's nothing compared to what some people call their kids round where I live. Hipster central. I've stopped asking babies' names for fear of snorting with laughter. But each to their own right!

Do you remember a few years ago an Australian woman called her twins Benson and Hedges?

Atticusss Fri 01-Dec-17 14:40:59

Absolutely agree, I can't understand why they are idolised. Nothing cute about those names at all!

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Fri 01-Dec-17 14:42:16

After the Krays? So cute!. Do people really say this? hmm. How could it possibly be cute?

Monr0e Fri 01-Dec-17 14:44:39

I once met a set of twins called Bonnie and Clyde.

There's nowt as queer as folk.

Willowthewasp Fri 01-Dec-17 14:47:41

It will be Ian and Myra next. Not a good choice YANBU

AlwaysSpellingMyName Fri 01-Dec-17 14:51:55

I know a woman who called her youngest Kray. Nickname Kray Kray confused

DoesHeWantToOrNot Fri 01-Dec-17 14:52:58

I saw someone on a mum group on fb ask for help with a name that goes with Leo as she already has two boys:

Jimmy-Leo
Tommy-Leo

(Not real names)

Ivehadtonamechangeforthis Fri 01-Dec-17 15:09:52

Weirdly I met two little brothers about a year ago and they ere called Ronnie and Reggie! I do find it a bit of an odd choice.

NineFortySixPM Fri 01-Dec-17 15:14:46

I think maybe it’s generational- I bet younger people haven’t heard of the Krays and so Ronnie and Reggie are both just names that are reasonably popular at the moment and do sound nice together as a pair.

Frederickvonhefferneffer Fri 01-Dec-17 15:17:16

Muppet

Crunchymum Fri 01-Dec-17 15:19:37

I know of someone who has a Bert and Ernie.

Killerfiller Fri 01-Dec-17 15:19:40

generational- I bet younger people haven’t heard of the Krays and so Ronnie and Reggie are both just names that are reasonably popular at the moment and do sound nice together as a pa

Not true the tom hardy film was massive everyone raved about it. They are defo aware.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 01-Dec-17 15:25:37

I just think people are mind numbingly stupid, IQ's of sweet potatoes

But then I realise I sound like an elitist twat thinking that and have a word with myself

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Fri 01-Dec-17 15:26:54

I suspect it’s because of the film that was out a few years ago about the krays. (Tom Hardy played both) I was on a Tom Hardy fab page and they started posting all this shit fawning over the krays. The last straw for me was when they posted a petition to have Charles Bronson released from prison hmm

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Fri 01-Dec-17 15:27:28

(Should clarify that Tom Hardy also starred in a film about Charles bronson.

Abouttoblow Fri 01-Dec-17 15:27:37

Is she maybe joking and these are not their real names?
My friend has twin boys and if they are playing up she calls them Ronnie and Reggie.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Fri 01-Dec-17 15:28:31

Fab=fb

Killerfiller I hated the film!

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Fri 01-Dec-17 15:29:10

Me too peppa and I’m a huge TH fan.

Mummaofboys Fri 01-Dec-17 15:31:17

Wouldn’t be my first choice in names at all but least they’re not made up names, in this day and age you need to be thankful for small mercy’s!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now