Talk

Advanced search

Stealing from self service tills

(175 Posts)
user1498912461 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:54:40

Dh has started to steal from self service tills. Mostly small items such as chocolate bars or cans but today he came home with a new wallet! He bragged about how the wallet was free. He has also on occasion come home with blind bags for ds. He'll pay for one but take 3! I basically told him he was shoplifting and we had a big argument over it. He said "everyone does it" and that I'm no better as we were under charged in a restaurant once and we didn't say anything. I told him he could easily be caught but he doesn't see the big deal in it. AIBU?

Rebeccaslicker Fri 01-Dec-17 13:55:56

He's disgusting. Sorry OP.

cakesandphotos Fri 01-Dec-17 13:56:27

Of course it’s shoplifting! Even if it’s a chocolate bar it’s still theft

RebootYourEngine Fri 01-Dec-17 13:56:56

That is stealing in my opinion.

Anthony warrol thompson the tv chef did this and he was caught and im sure he was charged with theft.

specialsubject Fri 01-Dec-17 13:57:01

So he is a crook who can't think for himself. Nice.

Frederickvonhefferneffer Fri 01-Dec-17 13:57:36

he will eventually get caught and will be extremely humiliated, is it worth that for a chocolate bar?

RNBrie Fri 01-Dec-17 13:58:13

It wouldn't matter to me if he gets caught or not. I wouldn't want to be married to a thief.

AlpacaLypse Fri 01-Dec-17 13:58:25

Everyone DOESN'T do it. Only thieves do it.

teaortequila23 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:58:51

Yes it’s stealing but I find it weird that your outing him on here.
Surely u didn’t need ask if it was wrong

Mulberry72 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:00:24

He’s a thief, plain & simple. I hope he gets caught, he won’t be bragging then!

What’s a blind bag OP? I’d be furious with him giving DS stolen stuff! He really is horrid OP!

Namechangetempissue Fri 01-Dec-17 14:00:38

What a twat. Sorry OP.
Of course it is stealing, I don't see how anyone could think it wasn't. Hope he gets caught.

Shadow666 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:01:25

I seem to remember with Anthony Worral Thompson, they had been watching him on CCTV for a while, recording each of his visits, so to build a stronger case against him. Worth bearing that in mind.

Jerseysilkvelour Fri 01-Dec-17 14:01:33

How could this not be shoplifting/stealing?

If he won't stop it he'll get cocky and get caught. Sounds like he is already!

As for likening it to the restaurant thing, the fact you did that doesn't make it ok for him to steal, or mean that you have to be complicit and condone it.

allthgoodusernamesaretaken Fri 01-Dec-17 14:01:38

No, everyone doesn't do it

BenLui Fri 01-Dec-17 14:01:38

Everyone does not do it.

It’s shop lifting.

Get him to imagine what being arrested would feel like.
Get to imagine what his name in your local paper would feel like.
Ask how he would feel explaining it to his boss.
Even if a conviction didn’t mean he lost his job, his integrity would be forever in question thereafter any time anything went missing at work.

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 01-Dec-17 14:01:44

Jesus what a twat.

thedowntontrout Fri 01-Dec-17 14:02:32

I don’t know what a blind bag is but your husband is a thief.

SparkleFizz Fri 01-Dec-17 14:02:46

YANBU.

It’s shoplifting, and if he keeps doing it, then he’ll get caught sooner or later.
Is it really worth all the bother of getting caught shoplifting, and all the consequences that go with that, for the sake of a chocolate bar or can of pop?

And no, not everyone does it.

madein1995 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:03:01

YANBU - It is stealing. Also I would warn him to stop now before he gets caught. No 'everyone' does not do it, and the staff on self serve will watch him. The staff are not blind - they will pick up on what is happening, and will go and stand nearby and watch him, the staff on self serve are normally the more experienced staff members.

Also the bagging/conveyer area are weighed throughout the transaction - so the supermarket will know if something in the loading area wasn't scanned, or if something made it to the bagging/packing area that wasn't scanned or in the loading area. I'm also suprised that the wallet wasn't security tagged - items such as that usually are, so are things like meat.

It's a bugger of a position you are in. You're right to be mad, but you can't physically stop him. You can though make it a deal breaker in that you won't put up with it, and that if he does get caught he can expect zero sympathy or help off you. I also wouldn't give DS any goods that has been stolen - so the 1 pack of toys he paid for, yes give - the other 2 that were stolen, don't let your ds have.

HuskyMcClusky Fri 01-Dec-17 14:03:20

Wtf is a blind bag? And why are you married to this criminal twat?

PotteringAlong Fri 01-Dec-17 14:03:55

Definitely stealing. Everyone definitely does not do it

Mulch Fri 01-Dec-17 14:04:24

He's in for a shock when he gets caught

SparkleFizz Fri 01-Dec-17 14:06:18

A blind bag is where you get a small random toy in a bag.

E.g. a Thomas and Friends blind bag has one Thomas and Friends mini train in it, but you don’t know which mini train you’ll get until you open the bag.

AnnetteCurtains Fri 01-Dec-17 14:06:41

I don't do it
He's an idiot

Itsonkyme Fri 01-Dec-17 14:07:47

He's being really stupid. He is stealing and No other people do not do this.
What is wrong with him? Tell him to grow up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now