Talk

Advanced search

lap strap and coach travel

(9 Posts)
Crustyoddsocks Fri 01-Dec-17 11:42:11

I know its not illeagal but would you be happy to let your 3 year old child go on a hour long (each way) coach journey on a coach with only a lap strap for a school trip?
I dont want to make a fuss about this as so far nobody at the school can see the issue with it and a 'safe' bus may cost too much money so dont want to jeapordise the trip or make it unafordable for less well off families.
AIBU reasonable should I just go with it?

easyReader Fri 01-Dec-17 12:32:57

Yes. Go with it.

Crash ratings in vehicles are against immovable objects. In most real accidents the collisions are between movable objects. Do you think it's especially important what someone in a coach is wearing when it hits a family hatchback?

Would you let them on a bus with no seatbelts?

Our fleet of school minibuses have lap belts and we're yet to have a complaint.

Be rational.

Waffles80 Fri 01-Dec-17 18:06:24

I wouldn’t be happy. And my lack of pleasure at such an arrangement would not be an indication of ‘irrational’ thought.

EB123 Fri 01-Dec-17 18:24:31

No I wouldn't be happy with that.

Jubejube1 Fri 01-Dec-17 22:25:42

Jeopardise it then by insisting they find a bus with seat belts & then you can fit scar seats in it & everyone will safe. You will be very unpopular.

FlouncyDoves Fri 01-Dec-17 22:42:21

Reminds me of a time a mother said her son wasn’t allowed to sit next to any strangers on the public bus we were taking to a museum (primary school outing). I had 60 children to look and by the time I took my seat he was happily sitting next to some old chap have a lovely chat!

Let it go.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 01-Dec-17 22:47:16

Due to last minute train issues, my then 3 & 6 year olds ended up using lap belts on a National Express coach for a 4 hour journey.

A coach is a much safer vehicle than a car due to lower speeds and its size.

MidniteScribbler Fri 01-Dec-17 23:08:55

You don't have to send your child on the trip if you aren't happy.

Fattymcfaterson Fri 01-Dec-17 23:51:48

How to people manage using buses!
Honestly, you're being a bit ott

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: