Talk

Advanced search

To think advent calendars waste too much plastic

(67 Posts)
Itsgonnabeacoldone Fri 01-Dec-17 10:57:26

I would have made one out of something reusable, but we've had some as gifts. The plastic seems pretty damn thick and the stuff can be hard to get out.

daisypond Fri 01-Dec-17 11:03:01

Just get a cardboard one with pictures behind the little doors. That's what we have.

Itsgonnabeacoldone Fri 01-Dec-17 11:06:53

I've actually only seen that on father Ted, as I say they were given so no choice. I'd have a candle

ScipioAfricanus Fri 01-Dec-17 11:20:28

The other thing I don’t get about them is how sad they look when their gift/chocolate is out. Just a plasticky misshapen hole.

And yes, they waste so much plastic. Packaging has gone insane.

NewtsSuitcase Fri 01-Dec-17 11:25:03

Come over to the small steps thread about doing something to help the environment each day. Lots of discussion about plastics and how we can change things.

My DC were bought a chocolate calendar one year. I reused the plastic inside as a mould and made more shaped chocolates which we use to decorate cupcakes. Its still going strong after three or four years.

If you get any more you could donate them to foodbanks

Itsgonnabeacoldone Fri 01-Dec-17 12:05:10

Small steps thread, thank you I think I may have found my people.

I'm still pissed off at myself for buying a pr avocado a few weeks ago in a shit load of packaging.

kinkajoukid Fri 01-Dec-17 13:30:01

Yes some of them do. Makes me feel a bit sick sad

We haven't had one for a few years, but wanted one this year so got a card one in a nostalgic style and its really made me feel all warm and cosy! Especially as it can be just put into the recycling afterwards - but we might just keep it.

Perhaps if you have a plastic one then re-using it is the way to go.

SilverySurfer Fri 01-Dec-17 13:52:09

It's obviously easy isn't it? Don't buy plastic ones - there are plenty of cardboard ones and reusable ones made of wood.

woollyjumperseason Fri 01-Dec-17 14:52:58

We have a fabric one that my mum sewed up when I was a kid. You just put in your own sweeties in so pre kids it had rum barrels in. In but now we have kids so its theirs! envy

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Fri 01-Dec-17 15:15:50

Pls can someone link small steps? Can’t seem to find it confused

Frederickvonhefferneffer Fri 01-Dec-17 15:20:09

I Agree. I don’t buy them. I have a fabric one which I fill every year and the children take turns with it

ArcheryAnnie Fri 01-Dec-17 15:43:09

We've got a reusable one - thanks all for reminding me I have to fill it up before DS comes home! (Lemon sherberts and chocolate penguins.)

TeenTimesTwo Fri 01-Dec-17 15:47:04

We have a lovely one we got from Phoenix Cards around 10-12 years ago. It is a nativity scene and each day you slot a cardboard character into the scene, starting with the star and finishing with baby Jesus. That is our 'proper' Advent Calendar.

Mind you, they also get chocolate ones too.

gigi556 Fri 01-Dec-17 18:40:21

@NewtsSuitcase can you link to the small steps thread?

NewtsSuitcase Fri 01-Dec-17 18:45:07

Sure

This is the small steps thread

Small steps

It came out of the consumerism thread which I will also link to. I think that blue planet episode affected a lot of us sad

NewtsSuitcase Fri 01-Dec-17 18:46:24

Consumerism thread

consumerism

TheWickerWoman Fri 01-Dec-17 18:50:15

I’ve never been keen on the chocolate ones, they’re so dull and uncrismassy.. we still use the traditition ones with the picture.

I was talking to the lady on the till in Tesco about it yesterday, she said it’s a shame, she never see the picture ones in shops anymore as the chocolate ones seem to have taken over. I gave her my contacts 😄

MiaowTheCat Fri 01-Dec-17 19:06:16

We've got a picture one (I got it from someone who had been doing Phoenix Trading before they went kaput), and a re-fillable one I got earlier the year as a wooden blank and I've gradually decoupaged and painted it (not bloody finished but give me till about 2019) and then they do have a Playmobil one each as it's stuff that will get played with in future months to come - my youngest is obsessed with the bloody stuff.

XmasStartsInNovember Fri 01-Dec-17 19:18:10

NewtsSuitcase the mold idea is brilliant. I can’t believe I’ve never thought of that.

LittleBirdBlues Fri 01-Dec-17 19:23:24

I made one this year. Pairs of socks on a string attached with wooden pegs. I put cookies or little boxes of raisins in, or pretty spoons. The best thing is that he kids can wear the socks after, and we can reuse the pegs, so hardly any waste at all.

InDubiousBattle Fri 01-Dec-17 19:24:25

I'm so completely jealous of woolynow!! I saw one in a similar style but not half as nice the other week and it was £150!

rcit Fri 01-Dec-17 19:25:26

All those saying don’t buy them - they are given as gifts!

Crumbs1 Fri 01-Dec-17 19:36:19

I have an embroidered, fabric one with little pockets to fill each year. It’s much prettier than the plastic tat, the presents are nicer, it links to nativity. Much nicer.
I’ve also got a wooden one that looks like a Scandinavian house with flaps in the roof to pop presents in. It’s lit by candles and is much loved by the children. We have a large dice that goes with it that has each child’s initials to decide who gets to open the flap or pocket each day.

I agree the disposable Peppa Pig or similar bear no connection to Christmas and are environmentally very unsound. They don’t bring much joy at all.

Clarioncall Fri 01-Dec-17 19:45:18

I fell for the hype and "treated myself" to a L'Occitane advent calendar last year, I think I hoped it would cheer me up a bit. Unfortunately it had the opposite effect as the number of little plastic bottles and tubes made me feel very guilty, I would never buy another one.

milliemolliemou Fri 01-Dec-17 20:10:25

Am I alone in thinking Christmas calendars should be about Christmas, not chocolate, perfumes etc? If you disagree but hate plastic, don't buy them - the manufacturers will soon(ish) get the message. Someone gave me aeons ago a felt Christmas calendar with little pockets which at least is reusable.

As for Jo Malone and its £300 calendar stuffed with mini perfumes and candles - hope they donate half or more to those in poverty.

Yours crossly, MMM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now