Talk

Advanced search

To be exasperated at PPI Complaint response?

(11 Posts)
RadtoShayer Thu 30-Nov-17 17:47:41

I made a complaint about a mortgage I had from 2010 -2012. Before I submitted the complaint the bank confirmed that I had four 🤔 Separate policies during the period.

Now 8 weeks later they have responded (2 days before the deadline) that although I applied for ppi no premiums were received and therefore there is nothing to refund. I have just tried to ring them and was on hold without an answer for an hour.

I don't have paper copies of my statements from that period but I'm going to try to get hold of them. I KNOW I paid the premiums. One was £84 a month! 😱

I'm annoyed with the service I've received. Does anyone have any tips for getting some progress?

Neverender Thu 30-Nov-17 17:55:10

Get your old statements and prove it, then they won't have a leg to stand on

Grumblepants Thu 30-Nov-17 18:02:44

Go to the financial ombudsman service. They investigate impartially.

decentchap Thu 30-Nov-17 18:10:50

I for one feel they are avoiding paying. I had a mortgage with PPI and they said it was a condition of the loan and therefore PPI was legit. I said at the time I didnt need it as we both worked but no, sorry,go away we have real PROBLEMS!

RadtoShayer Fri 01-Dec-17 16:24:36

I managed to find my bank statements for the relevant period which clearly show that I was paying the premiums.

I rang them and they still tried to tell me that I hadn't paid. I've had to post the statements to them today (of course you can't email them) and apparently have to wait 5-7 working days for them to be received.

They will then reopen my complaint. Really bad service!

I know they will have lots of other complainants but to simply tell me the incorrect information is just annoying. They have access to my statements. It wouldn't be hard to check!

Penguin27 Fri 01-Dec-17 17:29:43

If you've had their "final response" to your complaint, you don't need to go back to them and ask them to reopen it. Just take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service who will look into the complaint and make an impartial decision about whether you were mid-sold and calculate any refund and/or redress. I hope you only sent copies of the statements!

Brainwashed Fri 01-Dec-17 17:40:23

We had lie after lie when we tried to claim back PPI. Kept at it and got the financial ombudsmen involved. Banks carried on trying to stall saying they couldn't find various accounts etc. They eventually had to pay us back with hefty interest added. Took over 2 years...you have to be very persistent.

Bringmewineandcake Fri 01-Dec-17 18:58:21

Penguin’s right and to be honest they’ve shot themselves in the foot by waiting till the 8 week period was up before responding. You are now perfectly entitled to go straight to the FOS without waiting for anything further from your bank.

Glumglowworm Fri 01-Dec-17 19:22:06

I agree after their final response or the 8 week deadline you have the right to refer to the ombudsman and they should be informing you of that right as part of your final response, so if they haven’t done that it’s just another point against them.

Go to the Ombudsman, don’t bother to-ing and fro-ing with them anymore since they’re clearly doing everything they can to avoid paying.

Hauntedlobster Fri 01-Dec-17 19:23:22

Keep copies!

StressedtoHellandback Fri 01-Dec-17 19:37:18

I hope you have kept copies and notes. Always ask for the name of the person you are speaking to, and note the date and time that you are on the phone. Send all correspondence by Recorded Delivery. The People at the Ombudsman's office are extremely helpful and willing to talk things over as often as you like.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: