Talk

Advanced search

AIBU in my thinking when it's comes to nurseries & 30 free hours?

(22 Posts)
MissMudskipper Thu 30-Nov-17 14:33:14

Okay so I'm new to this whole 30 free hours funded place as it wasn't around when my eldest was young and we had to shell out more than our mortgage to send her each month. Subsequently I went part time working evenings as we could no longer afford it!

My youngest is due at nursery this Jan and having spoken with the nursery they have said they can offer 2.5 days funded place (which runs pretty much with school holidays so she won't be in every week). Great I thought and started dreaming about working during normal office hours again and getting back to normal after 5 years of evening work!

Having spoken with a different department of my work (as can't do days in my current dept) they have said they'd love to have me 3 full days in the week - they would consider 2 but ideally 3.

So I emailed the nursery to ask if there was the option of my daughter going to nursery for 3 full days and we would pay for the additional half day. We would also pay for that half day even when she wasn't in due to the funded place not being there during the school holidays.

So basically they said no and gave me the breakdown below - bear in mind a one half day a week is about £35.

1st Jan 2018 – 31st December 2018 = 52 weeks in total

Normal fee is £123.00 per week = total for 52 weeks £6396.00

Funding available for the year period would be £4514.40

Difference owed = £1881.60

Divided over 12 months = £156.80 per month

AIBU here in my request or is this how all nurseries are ran??

Chaosofcalm Thu 30-Nov-17 14:37:33

It is 30 free hours education not child childcare so it is only for 38 weeks a year, the same as school.

butterflynight Thu 30-Nov-17 14:38:48

I'm confused as to what the question is. Is the fact you have to pay top up fees on the free hours? If so yes that's normal n

MissMudskipper Thu 30-Nov-17 14:40:37

Thanks Chaos like I said I'm new to this. So am I being unreasonable to ask to pay for a half day whilst she's there during the weeks when the place is funded?

Again I have said I am happy to pay for that extra half day when she is not there due to the way the weeks and hours run. I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear....sorry!! blush

WhyamIBoredathome Thu 30-Nov-17 14:41:03

But 30 hours should cover 2.5 days?
My DS gets 2.5 free and we only qualify for 15 hours as I don't work.

WoodenRainbow Thu 30-Nov-17 14:43:59

I’d say £150 is about right for half a day. Depending on where you live of course. I pay £300 a month for one day a week (London)

butterflynight Thu 30-Nov-17 14:44:04

OP you should be able to pay for an extra half day, my friend pays for an extra 10 hours as she earns over the threashold.

MissMudskipper Thu 30-Nov-17 14:45:07

Sorry totally confused everyone and myself! So I'd be asking for the 2.5 days funded and then paying for an additional 0.5 day (to bring it to a full 3 days).

The nursery said no I can't do that. They only do 2.5 days fully funded where she attends as if at school.

The alternative is she attends 3 full days throughout the year - they take off the funding I would get for 30 free hours and I pay the difference which is £156 a month.

Sorry does this make more sense?

ItStartedWithAKiss241 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:45:10

I think it depends on your nursery days 9-3 or 7-7 is my sons nursery- Busy Bees. As he is only allowd to use funding in the 9-3 but I have to pay a fortune in before and after fees aswell as lunch x

SylviaTietjens Thu 30-Nov-17 14:45:14

I’m confused. Why do want to pay for the half day when she’s not there? Most nurseries offer full time places (as in every week of the year) or term time places. If your dd is only going to be using her 2.5 days for the term time (when it’s funded, and you just pay the top up) why the 0.5 day full time? Just add him an extra half day for term time only would make more sense? Or am I missing something?

Ecureuil Thu 30-Nov-17 14:45:27

My DD1 does 3 days, 9-3 so 18 hours. I get 15 free and pay for the extra 3. Are they not allowing you to do that?

Ecureuil Thu 30-Nov-17 14:46:00

Seems very complicated!

RatRolyPoly Thu 30-Nov-17 14:46:04

So you want to pay for one half day a week the full year round, in addition to the 2.5 days a week funded in term time, to allow you to work 3 days a week not 2. Right?

The only problem I see is will you only be working term time? Because if not you'll only have 0.5 days a week of nursery in that time, not 3 like you'll need. I think what they're saying is you would ALSO have to pay for the 2.5 days each week outside of term time as well as the 0.5 days extra year round. Which seems fair.

WoodenRainbow Thu 30-Nov-17 14:46:05

I don’t really understand- they said no but then gave you a break down which is essentially you paying £35 a week (4.5ish sessions a month). So ... that’s the same thing isn’t it?

SylviaTietjens Thu 30-Nov-17 14:46:07

Sorry x post with op

MissMudskipper Thu 30-Nov-17 14:46:20

Ouch WoodenRainbow! I'm up north so nowhere near that expensive. Should count myself lucky!

SylviaTietjens Thu 30-Nov-17 14:46:45

I guess they had a certain amount of places for term time only funded places? I can see why it’s annoying though.

RatRolyPoly Thu 30-Nov-17 14:47:28

The alternative is she attends 3 full days throughout the year - they take off the funding I would get for 30 free hours and I pay the difference which is £156 a month

This sounds like the right solution though. Unless you'll only be working in term time?

BellyBean Thu 30-Nov-17 14:49:30

That's what confused me. You said a half day should be £35, which is near enough what you're paying at the end of the calculation.

Are you saying a half day should actually be a lot less if they allowed you to pay for just that?

butterflynight Thu 30-Nov-17 14:52:51

My nephew started on this scheme in Sept. They qualify for the 30 hours free & he goes to preschool 9-3.30. However they have to pay for lunch & the 30 mins care during lunch plus a childminder collects him 2 days a week & has him from 3.30-6 (sis works part time). Childcare still costs them about £260 a month & then extra outside of term. When she was explaining it to me I was very confused!

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Thu 30-Nov-17 14:53:18

So it's 2.5 days a week, term time only, or £156.50 a month for 3 days a week year round. That seems reasonable.
My son does 2 days a week, year round, fully funded. If I wanted him to go an extra day then £156.50 a month would seem fine. We use year round as I work and my work is not term time only, so term time only care is tricky. (Fuck knows what I'll do when he starts school next year!)

MissMudskipper Thu 30-Nov-17 14:58:33

Thanks guys you have helped me work my head round it - glad to hear it wasn't just me getting confused and other people have in the past!! It makes more sense doing it all year round and paying the £156 a month extra.

Sorry for the confusion it's been one of those days confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: