Talk

Advanced search

To ask where I can live Monday to Friday

(44 Posts)
Missonihoni Thu 30-Nov-17 14:07:51

This isn't an aibu as such but posting for traffic. I have found a job and it's 55 miles away from
My house .

Where could I find somewhere to stay Monday to Friday. Air b&b charge service fees which amount to a lot. It would be for four months initially.

Help please.

thelastredwinegum Thu 30-Nov-17 14:08:46

Airbnb?

thelastredwinegum Thu 30-Nov-17 14:09:30

Duh sorry I've not got my specs on and thought it said "a b&b service charge".

WillowWeeping Thu 30-Nov-17 14:11:00

55 miles isn’t too far in the scheme of things. Why can’t you commute?

lionguard Thu 30-Nov-17 14:11:49

Look in local newspapers for a bedsit or a shared house.

Air BnB people will often do cheap rates for a repeat booking

Humptyhump1 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:12:43

Whereabouts does it need to be?

Nightmanagerfan Thu 30-Nov-17 14:13:03

Try mondaytofriday.com or contact Airbnb hosts to ask if they would do a long term discount

Finola1step Thu 30-Nov-17 14:13:36

What woukd the commute be like?

Missonihoni Thu 30-Nov-17 14:13:48

Nottingham.

I could commute I supose but from midlands to Nottingham I think I would get hit with traffic both ways. I supose I could do that and book the occasional hotel when I'm fed up of driving.

Blueroses99 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:19:56

Try spareroom.co.uk. I believe M-F stays are fairly common on there

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Nov-17 14:21:26

DH worked with someone who bought a campervan for just this!

Lindy2 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:27:16

How long is the commute? If it's under 2 hours you are probably better off just travelling it. Try and adjust your hours to avoid peak travel times if you can. ie go in early, stay late and go to the gym or similar after work to avoid the rush etc.
I live on the Lindon/Surrey borders. 1.5 to 2 hour commutes are pretty normal here.

Missonihoni Thu 30-Nov-17 14:30:36

Do air b&b allow you to negotiate with the host? I would prefer my own space instead of a room to rent.

i have checked online and the village is only 159 for a week. At least I can use the swimming pool for free lol.

Missonihoni Thu 30-Nov-17 14:32:08

It says an hour on google. To be honest I work for the same company now and today it took me 40 min to get here and it's only about seven miles away because it's the worst location from
My house. I will try the commute I think.

Caroelle Thu 30-Nov-17 14:32:21

Look for a local B and B and ask if they will do you a special rate for 4 nights a week. Advertise on local FB page and ask if anyone wants a lodger for 4 nights a week for 4 months? Someone might like the extra money, especially if they’ve just bought a house.

Hippadippadation Thu 30-Nov-17 14:37:51

How long are you planning to stay in the job? Could you buy a small flat to use in the week? Or could you do compressed hours or wfh a day or so a week so you don't have to do the commute every day?

DailyMaileatmyshit Thu 30-Nov-17 14:42:01

Gumtree, spareroom.com, mondaytofriday.com, easyroomate.com

plenty of places. Even somewhere suggests it's full time rent, contact the landlord and they may do a discount for a M-F lodger.

butteriesplease Thu 30-Nov-17 14:46:56

why not just try the commute and see? If it's too horrific you can decide if you want to move house to be nearer job or rent somewhere Mon-Fri.

Is there no public transport? you might be able to organise a lift share, and then only do the driving a few times a week perhaps?

Missonihoni Thu 30-Nov-17 14:49:06

Thanks for all the suggestions they are really good.

Missonihoni Thu 30-Nov-17 14:49:39

I'll check about compressed hours and wfh one day per week for sure.

OllyBJolly Thu 30-Nov-17 14:49:48

I stayed in London for three years on a Monday-Friday basis on a place I found on www.mondaytofriday.com. I paid £400 pcm and that included all bills and weekly cleaning. It was a little annexe to the owners' home and I hardly ever saw them. SW11 so very central - great deal.

TonicAndTonic Thu 30-Nov-17 15:18:59

Gumtree or spareroom.co.uk for the area you're looking to move to

GinNeeded Thu 30-Nov-17 15:24:42

You can definitely negotiate with air bnb hosts. I have an apartment which is always sold out at the weekend, and I have given up to 50% discount to contractors for a direct booking as guarantees my quiet times are filled.

rightsaidfrederickII Thu 30-Nov-17 15:31:06

Spareroom.co.uk has a specific search filter for Monday to Friday lets

Foxsox Thu 30-Nov-17 15:34:47

I lwoukd Commute

But I should also add that Nottm (well the M1 are kind it) is a nightmare at the moment.
Where in the Midlands are you coming from?
Is the train an option?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: