Talk

Advanced search

Would you look after a friends child for three days?

(45 Posts)
Tinkerbec Thu 30-Nov-17 13:45:59

Well exactly as it says in the title.

Friend of two years ( have kids at same school) has asked if we can look after her child for three days and nights.

One night I see no problem but three seems a lot. My dd does not get on well with her child as she is pretty hard work. Sulking, complaining, always hungry. It is ok for a bit but three days.

We don’t have much room for her either as I am staying with my parents.

Friend is going to a concert and a selling conference for her job. I mean I would if she was in hospital or something. I also would for my sisters kids and my best friends children.

AIBU?Would you?

Narnia72 Thu 30-Nov-17 13:47:32

No!

upperlimit Thu 30-Nov-17 13:50:28

No. Best friend or family, as you say, yes. In an emergency, ok. Otherwise, that is cheeky fucker territory.

Mrsdraper1 Thu 30-Nov-17 13:50:57

Depends on the reason. If her prev childcare arrangements had fallen through due to some major catastrophe and she was definitely not a CF then I probably would.

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Nov-17 13:51:10

No! And if you are staying with your parents it’s teally up to them anyway.

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Thu 30-Nov-17 13:52:01

No, she is taking the piss. It's a big ask even if your children were very good friends, but this isn't something you should ask a casual, school mum friend unless it is an emergency.
It will drive your own child nuts and you will have a very difficult 3 days because you will be constantly reinforcing your house rules and dealing with the fact that hers are completely different.

pallisers Thu 30-Nov-17 13:52:54

not in your circumstances - you don't have space and their child doesn't get on with yours. I have in the past had friends of my children stay for a few days so their parents could go on a special holiday.

Butterymuffin Thu 30-Nov-17 13:53:22

I would say you don't have the room and can't impose any more on your parents. Where is the kids' dad in all this?

expatinscotland Thu 30-Nov-17 13:53:47

NO! And hello? You are staying in your parent's house. Don't they get a say?

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Thu 30-Nov-17 13:53:58

Missed the bit where you said you were staying with your parents. That's your perfect excuse to decline easily. Only a true cf would expect you to take their child to your parents for 3 days!

expatinscotland Thu 30-Nov-17 13:54:28

'Sorry, can't do it, not enough room.

Sludgecolours Thu 30-Nov-17 13:54:43

Bit cheeky to ask under those circumstances tbh

Frustratedboarder Thu 30-Nov-17 13:54:45

No way! Easy to decline in your current circs as well - just say you wouldn't like to impose on your folks, unless she's pally with them enough to ask herself Should do the trick!

rcit Thu 30-Nov-17 13:54:50

no not in the situation you describe
You are at your parents’ house!!
Which is a great excuse not to do it.

lionguard Thu 30-Nov-17 13:55:01

Nope. I would barely ask my sister for three days and nights.

Way too long. If the kids don't get on I wouldn't even agree to one night

Kentnurse2015 Thu 30-Nov-17 13:55:15

Why are there 2 of these threads?

SleepingStandingUp Thu 30-Nov-17 13:55:56

Yup definitely no. No room, not your home. No.

Stompythedinosaur Thu 30-Nov-17 13:56:36

Not if they didn't get on with my dc and it wasn't an emergency.

I would if the kids got on or if in dire need.

fuzzywuzzy Thu 30-Nov-17 13:57:29

Would you even have some? What do your parents think of this additional proposed person in their household?

I wouldn’t as it’s not your husband use to open to other people, your dc does not get on with this persons dc, this person has presumably known for a while she’ll need to arrange childcare, why hasn’t she?

It’s a massive ask.

Under the circumstances I wouldn’t.

rightsofwomen Thu 30-Nov-17 13:57:33

My good friend has looked after my son (8) a couple of times for that period of time (split over a week actually, 2 days and then another).

She offered after some discussion of what childcare I needed while I was away travelling for work. I am a single Mother with a very difficult relationship with my ex (DS's dad) and she has been a great support for me, both emotionally and in a practical sense.

Her son and mine get on well and DS loves going over there.

I don't think for a minute she's telling anyone I'm a CF. I have made sure that she knows I value our friendship hugely and would never place any expectation upon her. She knows she can say if it's not working out.

fuzzywuzzy Thu 30-Nov-17 13:59:39

Room not some
House not husband
God I hate my phone

tinysparklyshoes Thu 30-Nov-17 14:01:09

In an emergency yes. For that, no. And its not your house to have people to stay in anyway.

NameChanger22 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:02:44

I would. I like to think I would help my friends wherever possible .

I might expect a contribution towards the cost of the food, although I wouldn't ask for it.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 30-Nov-17 14:02:53

I have done; but I wouldn't if they're hard work and dont get on with my lot, no.

SausagePerfume Thu 30-Nov-17 14:03:18

I maybe would. Depends on circumstances.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: