Talk

Advanced search

My lazy winter self - anyone else suffer from winter laziness?

(18 Posts)
LouPeru Thu 30-Nov-17 12:35:23

I'm a member of a gym and a martial arts club however, since it got cold I just can't be arsed to do anything. It annoys me because I WANT to do these things but just can't bring myself to leave the house once I get in from work. For the past few weeks I've been to gym once. I'm normally there 4/5 times a week. Then I get depressed with myself for wasting time sat under a blanket at home dreaming about my "dream body". It's a vicious circle because the less I do, the more depressed I get then I'm even less inclined to go out!!!

Anyone else get winter laziness or do I need to pull myself together?

(P.s. I'm anaemic so REALY feel the cold)

Emlou07 Thu 30-Nov-17 12:54:26

Yup. I suffer from SAD from from around October through to spring! It really sucks x

hanahsaunt Thu 30-Nov-17 12:55:18

Let's just say that our bin wasn't put out for collection last night because on balance it wasn't full enough to justify leaving the house to do it given how cold it was (and I was). I haven't been out on my bike for a fortnight and much as I am missing it, it hasn't been bright/sunny enough to manage. I am definitely settling into hibernation mode (also anaemic so also very cold). It has to be confessed, though, that there is a level of too hot laziness as well come the summer - I definitely only operate with an optimal range.

wasonthelist Thu 30-Nov-17 12:58:32

Yeah my winter laziness kicks in as soon as the summer laziness is over.

Notlostjustexploring Thu 30-Nov-17 14:42:59

I've gone from cooking every meal from scratch to buying ready meals and eating out of the canteen at work. I've now had two weeks of pack lunch ingredients go to waste because I just can't face assembling food. I am lazy at the best of times, but I'm gold star lazy right now!

Nettletheelf Thu 30-Nov-17 14:45:57

God, yes. I have to force myself off the sofa. The trick is, I put my gym/running kit on then I haven’t got an excuse. I focus on feeling smug afterwards and looking forward to a hot shower.

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:47:44

I am the same, can't motivate myself to do anything when it's cold, even the housework suffers blush

mummyretired Thu 30-Nov-17 14:48:45

My outdoor activity levels have really dropped in the last fortnight, I don't like getting cold or wet! I am sleeping extra hours whenever I get the chance and telling myself to get into all those winter pastimes - making soup, knitting, organising my paperwork and plotting New Year resolutions.

MissCalamity Thu 30-Nov-17 16:08:34

YANBU, it's far too much of an effort! I've not done any exercise since Sunday as I just can't motivate myself to drive to the gym never mind actually working out!

RatherBeRiding Thu 30-Nov-17 16:12:37

I suffer from SAD - it is frightening how much my energy/motivation drops off as soon as the days start to shorten noticeably. I can usually keep going until clocks go back then that's it till about mid-Feb when my mood lifts again.

I would love to spend winter on the sofa under a duvet and binge on Netflix series.

VioletCharlotte Thu 30-Nov-17 16:17:27

It's definitely harder to make yourself go out when it's this cold. I've cut my exercise down to 3 classes a week and I've stopped swimming as I just can't face coming home with wet hair when it's this cold.

I do feel better for going to the gym so make myself go. I've also got a SAD Alamo which really helps, and I have a sunbed every now and again to get me through!

heron98 Thu 30-Nov-17 16:18:25

The trick is don't go home first if you don't have to. I was meeting a friend at 7pm last night, and I knew if I went home first I would really not want to go.

So I bimbled around town after work, looked round the shops and killed time.

Greyhorses Thu 30-Nov-17 16:18:37

I have no motivation but sadly horses and dogs force me out twice a day regardless.

I tend to find once I'm out im fine though and quite enjoy it!

bigbluebus Thu 30-Nov-17 16:26:23

I've told DH on a number of occasions this week that I feel like stuffing my face and then hibernating for the winter.

Lily2007 Thu 30-Nov-17 16:30:33

Yes I'm hibernating for the winter.

user1497997754 Thu 30-Nov-17 16:43:31

Yes taking my dogs out makes me take off hibernation comfy pj's but as soon as I get home on they go....just ordered a super king size electric blanket to put over me on the sofa...and marshmallows with chocolate for a fondue....

MusicToMyEars800 Fri 01-Dec-17 10:02:02

I agree with not going home if it can be helped, If I go straight into town after dropping DC's at school I am ok, but the second I am at home I just want to put on pj's and hibernate under a fluffy blanket.

I am at home now, and I have to go out again at 11am, I really don't want to.

Lily2007 Fri 01-Dec-17 10:08:44

I think the home thing may well be true, I'm wfh 4 days a week now and this is the first year I've really got this. It's just so nice working under a duvet in the warm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: