Advanced search

AIBU that not much is talked about NDE and it's all hush hush but probably many more people believe it than want to admit to?

(245 Posts)
Ruabelieber Thu 30-Nov-17 10:58:01

Probably for fear of being thought of as nuts!
Got this article via a friend and the more I hear / read the more I believe it..
But if I was to admit this in RL people would think I am bonkers?

Ruabelieber Thu 30-Nov-17 10:58:51

With link working:

Ruabelieber Thu 30-Nov-17 11:14:52

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 30-Nov-17 11:19:21

I think most people have heard of this.

I think people believe it because they want it to be true.... they want to believe they will see relatives again and want to believe there's an afterlife.

When we are gone we are gone.....finito

tinysparklyshoes Thu 30-Nov-17 11:20:15

It's a load of old bollocks.

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 30-Nov-17 11:21:19

tiny grin

Ruabelieber Thu 30-Nov-17 11:26:02

Tiny grin this is why the people who believe it keep schtum about it ... so they are not judged by people like you.

PhilODox Thu 30-Nov-17 11:27:06

I've died (and been resuccitated, obviously!) - there was NOTHING....

SleepFreeZone Thu 30-Nov-17 11:31:14

I think it's interesting when people survive one or two near death situations only to then die in another bizarre accident. It's as though the Final Destination films are true. Once your card is up, your card is up!

Ruabelieber Thu 30-Nov-17 11:31:56

Phil, sorry to hear you had to go through that... however it does say that it's 1 in 5 that experience this.
You could have theoretically been one of the 4 who doesn't ...

Ruabelieber Thu 30-Nov-17 11:33:55

Sleeofreezone - that's scary I know.
I remember the case of that guy who nearly died in the 911 attach only to decide to start a new life and then died in the New York plane crash a few months later! What the chance it that...

tinysparklyshoes Thu 30-Nov-17 11:34:33

Did I say I judged the people who believe it?

There is a proper scientific explanation for a lot of it, it's not a question of belief but fact. That white light and the tunnel etc, it's a symptom of the progression of your brain shutting down. It's not difficult to understand why so many people report the same things, it's explainable by neuro biology, not by woo.

elQuintoConyo Thu 30-Nov-17 11:36:00

What about squirrels?

HTKB Thu 30-Nov-17 11:38:38

Its a really interesting theory as to how the idea of an afterlife/heaven got started though. Prehistoric man has NDE.... Tells their friends.... And we have an afterlife myth created

buttercup54321 Thu 30-Nov-17 11:38:56

Tinysparklyshoes Can you prove it? 100 per cent?
If not then who are you to judge?

tinysparklyshoes Thu 30-Nov-17 11:40:05

I'm the same as anyone else and can judge as I like. You can believe what you like and I can comment as I see fit.

Somethingfantastic89 Thu 30-Nov-17 11:46:15

The problem is that science seems to "know" and everything else is "belief". Humanity has long ago decided that only rational proof is acceptable as knowledge. If someone said I don't believe in gravity, they would definitely be considered to be strange/irrational etc.
We do need to remember that there is a lot that was considered crazy before science caught up with it - the existence of germs for example.
So we should keep an open mind. We are not at a point in our evolution/civilisation where we can say we know it all now and can decide what is woo and what is not.

elQuintoConyo Thu 30-Nov-17 11:47:10

Do squirrels 'see the light'? Do dolphins? Warthogs? Rats? Spiders?

Or is it only humans? Because we couldn't possibly die and turn into dust...

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 30-Nov-17 11:48:02

At what point does common sense kick in?

thatcatpidgeon Thu 30-Nov-17 11:50:33

Its not hush hush as such, it's just a load of nonsense. People don't 'talk about' other crackpot theories, they might read about them and move on but if it clearly isn't true then you wouldn't go on to discuss it particularly.

I'm aware that 'some people' think that this is a thing (despite it having a proven science based neurobiological explanation). Just as 'some people' think the world is flat or Paul McCartney died in the 60's and was replaced by a clone. Or people believe there is a big man in the sky judging you or a place you're going to go to after your decades of life on earth where everyone since the beginning of time who has complied to an arbitrary set of rules will live for infinity. People will believe all sorts of shit!

BeyondAssignation Thu 30-Nov-17 11:51:59

Phil "(and been resuccitated, obviously)" made me laugh!

I agree with the neurological explanation of NDE

araiwa Thu 30-Nov-17 11:53:04

More woo

Theres plenty of real, interesting, actual science you could read about the brain or anything instead

Ruabelieber Thu 30-Nov-17 11:53:22

Well Colombus was called crazy because he thought the world was round grin and now you would be called ignorant if you still believed that because the horizon is flat so is the earth!
Somethingfantastic has put it better than me. We only believe in what science has proved so far... however we don't know what will be proved in let's say 200 years?

BeyondAssignation Thu 30-Nov-17 11:55:02

That would only apply if this hadn't been proven though

BeyondAssignation Thu 30-Nov-17 11:56:08

(I'm with you in general, I wonder if a scientific reason for "ghosts" may appear in the future. But what a NDE is has already been answered)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now