Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to keep him off a 4th day running?

(13 Posts)
MissCommunication Thu 30-Nov-17 04:29:58

Have just finally got DS age 5 and in reception back to sleep after a 2 hour bout of coughing. He coughed for two hours at bedtime meaning he didn't get to sleep until gone 9pm and was up again at 2am. He woke up on Monday morning complaining of sore throat and his glands were very swollen. I kept him.home (am SAHM to him and 1 year old DD) and by 5pm he had a raging temperature and foul cold. DD has been unwell since Friday night and I finally succumbed on Monday night as well, although I seem to be mending a lot quicker. He barely ate on Tuesday and temperature was up and down all day and night. His temperature has stabilised today (Wednesday) but now he's coughing and awake. In my addled state (as he was pretty chipper during the day so hoped he would be ok to go to school on Thursday) I don't know if I'm being over-cautious keeping him home or cruel sending him in!

He's a skinny scrap and very susceptible to bugs etc (is a ruddy picky eater, and I just can't seem to get him built up).

Any midnight words of wisdom?

CiderwithBuda Thu 30-Nov-17 04:32:30

Keep him home. If he has been awake coughing he will be shattered. And he is obviously not completely better yet.

lalalalyra Thu 30-Nov-17 04:32:49

Keep him off until he's better.

FlyMaybe Thu 30-Nov-17 04:34:52

Keep him home, OP. Hope he feels better soon.

MissCommunication Thu 30-Nov-17 05:11:35

Thanks. Alarm off...as soon as I got back to bed, baby woke up. Ain't that just sod's law?

toomuchtooold Thu 30-Nov-17 05:36:44

Keep him off, and phone the GP for advice because it might be scarlet fever/strep throat. It's doing the rounds this year, and it takes a while for the spots to appear.

RescuedByATurtle Thu 30-Nov-17 05:55:29

He is 5. He’s been ill. Keep him home.

Bowerbird5 Thu 30-Nov-17 06:02:32

I would keep him home and I say that as a mum of four and I work in a Primary school. Poor mite. I would keep him off the rest of the week and let him recover. Try and see a G P too.

isitme88 Thu 30-Nov-17 06:32:24

Keep him off. As xmas hols approaching you don't want to pass illnesses around to the staff and kids. Plus he could do with an extra day to recuperate by the sounds of it

Flinkyflonk Thu 30-Nov-17 06:51:26

I'd also keep him off OP. My DS (also 5) is prone to getting chesty coughs with a cold, and can have a few nights of very little sleep as a result.

I used to keep him off pre-school when he was like this, but felt bad keeping him off once he started school as he was generally ok during the day when like this. So sent him in... and got a call from school 2 hours later to say he had been sick from coughing so much confused I felt awful.

He's only 5, he'll catch up. Hope he's better soon (and you manage to catch up on some sleep!)

MissCommunication Thu 30-Nov-17 07:46:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissCommunication Thu 30-Nov-17 21:22:44

Thanks all...finally got him to the doctor after an epic faff with both kids and no parking. He's got tonsillitis. DD luckily not but they've both been bludgeoned by this particular bug.

Stay well, lovely Mumsnetters x

Flinkyflonk Fri 01-Dec-17 10:12:10

Awe your poor DS. Hope he's on the mend soon. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now