Talk

Advanced search

To Dislike chuggers!

(79 Posts)
geekone Wed 29-Nov-17 15:27:57

I know they are just doing their job but seriously! 1. No you cannot borrow 5 mins of my time unless you can somehow give me it back. 2. I am working not on mumsnet 3. I give to charity, no not yours. 4. Bloody leave me alone.

I know IABU probably

Sparklingbrook Wed 29-Nov-17 15:30:07

YANBU. One said to me

'Are you going to be the person that does something amazing today?'

They have no idea what is going on in your life where that is totally not the right thing to say!

angry

wasonthelist Wed 29-Nov-17 15:31:30

Yanbu I actively avoid charities that employ chuggers

scaryteacher Wed 29-Nov-17 15:33:32

I just tell them I already have a Direct Debit set up for their charity, and they back off. This line works, even if abroad.

Vitalogy Wed 29-Nov-17 15:33:41

I just say no thank you. They're on commission aren't they.

Bananalanacake Wed 29-Nov-17 15:34:22

Me: I am only talking to you if you believe in bringing back the death penalty in this country.
Chugger: No, absolutely not.
Me: fine, I'm not talking to you then. grin

ImminentDisaster Wed 29-Nov-17 15:34:55

I can't bear them. I recently went to a town centre and they were everywhere and I remembered why I don't go to town centres anymore. Well, that and other reasons.

I had one on my doorstep once that tried to guilt trip me about vulnerable children in an increasingly hysterical way. Put a sign up and don't get bothered anymore.

Chowmum Wed 29-Nov-17 15:35:10

YANBU - I hate them. They get paid by results. Most monthly donations that are signed up would take a year to cover the costs to the charity. Which they never mention.

And they're always so bloody cheerful

TheNaze73 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:36:58

YANBU

geekone Wed 29-Nov-17 15:40:03

Sooo bloody cheerful.....

Bananalanacake love it 😂

The80sweregreat Wed 29-Nov-17 15:42:21

Head down, no eye contact - cross the road or street to avoid.
i know they are doing an awful job and get lots of abuse, but I dont want them bothering me. I choose my own charities to sponsor etc etc.

LoverOfCake Wed 29-Nov-17 15:43:55

They don't only get paid by results, some of them get paid an hourly rate as well (up to £12 an hour).

I had one knock on my door once begging for the Red Cross. She started out on her mission to which I responded "I'm not going to give you money," "oh I wasn't looking for money," she said, to which I responded "I'm not going to fill in a direct debit for you either." Her response to that was "Don't you care about starving people in the third world then?" To which I responded "no," and shut the door.

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:44:05

Yanbu. Many of them are not doing it from the goodness of their hearts, but the commission they get.

lessworriedaboutthecat Wed 29-Nov-17 15:44:43

I don't like them much either. I don't want to give them my bank details and set up a direct debit. I'd be happy to give them a quid though.

MiracleCure Wed 29-Nov-17 15:46:43

"Do you like cats, Madam?"

grin

PippaPiper Wed 29-Nov-17 15:47:11

Yanbu, I pretend I'm talking on my phone and breeze past them.

Bananalanacake Wed 29-Nov-17 15:47:50

Geelong. If I've got more time I like to taunt them with "If we had the death penalty in this country we could spend more money on your charity instead of keeping murderers and child abusers alive in prison" there is no come back to that smile

geekone Wed 29-Nov-17 15:48:43

I couldn't ignore them they came to my door angry

Ttbb Wed 29-Nov-17 15:50:03

YANBU

"Missss! Can I have a quick word"
<in my head> I have one whining toddler on my hand and another in the buggy. Do I look like I can stop to talk to you about how ambivalent I feel about your not even to tell local dog shelter?

Chowmum Wed 29-Nov-17 15:50:39

@geekone There's always the "release the hounds" option. Or is that just me?

Rebeccaslicker Wed 29-Nov-17 15:52:07

My DP hates them because they always say to him, "wow! Daddy Daycare!" And "Wonderdad!"

He's a SAHP ffs, why is that so amazing just because he's a man? It must be some sort of script because they all say the same thing.

I wonder how much they make per day for the charity - would they make more if they worked full time and donated one day a week's pay to the charity instead?!

AnneElliott Wed 29-Nov-17 15:54:16

I always ask how much they're paid and what charity direct debits they subscribe to.

That or I sign to them and they can't get rid of me quick enough. BSL by the way, not a rude gesture!

But the death penalty Ken is great!

AnneElliott Wed 29-Nov-17 15:54:49

Death penalty one! Not sure who Ken is!

ButchyRestingFace Wed 29-Nov-17 15:57:51

That or I sign to them and they can't get rid of me quick enough. BSL by the way, not a rude gesture!

I was going to say best avoid that with the NDCS chuggers, but I doubt (m)any of them can sign.

bigbluebus Wed 29-Nov-17 16:01:09

We had one at our door last week from St John's ambulance. He was most strange almost aggressive. He then went to my elderly neighbour's house and was rude to her because she wouldn't take her door chain off and he said he wouldn't speak to her through the door when she asked him what he wanted. Why on earth would a old lady living on her own take a door chain off to a complete stranger who knocks on her door after dark. We both filed a complaint about him. A quick Google shows there have been issues in the past with this firm of chuggers and SJA suspended them for a while but then re-instated them. Clearly their investigations didn't unearth the sharp practices these people are using.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now