Talk

Advanced search

to think it's time to look for a new job?

(17 Posts)
VelvetSpoon Wed 29-Nov-17 09:51:27

I enjoy the actual work I do, and some of the people.

But the petty rules and being constantly checked up on are infuriating.

I hold a professional qualification, have done so for over 20 years making me one of the most senior people in my dept.

But I have so little flexibility. Take today. I have a plumber coming to do some work at home. I have no holiday left at this time of year. My bf has taken a day off work to help me out, losing money in the process, but he couldn't get to me til 9.30. Plumber arriving at 8.30-9. I'm due at work at 9. So I told a colleague yesterday I'd be in a bit late but should arrive by 10. My journey takes up tp an hour depending on traffic.

Plumber arrives, i discuss job. Leave just after 9. Get a call at 9.20 asking where i am apparently there's some big fucking drama because one of the managers wanted to speak to me and I wasn't in!

Seriously is this how you treat senior staff? Because I don't think it is.

strongandlong Wed 29-Nov-17 09:55:30

That sounds ridiculous, and amazingly old fashioned. Have you discussed it with you manager? I would have thought they rather give you some flexibility than lose you all together.

ZaphodBeeblerox Wed 29-Nov-17 09:58:26

Some jobs and managers are very much like this. And you will soon get a bunch of posters saying you’re unreasonable for expecting anything else.

BUT, I’ve always worked in environments where my work is what was valued rather than clocking in and out. On occasion this has meant working on a Sunday or waking up at 5 to do something or staying till 8 pm, and on others it has meant coming in at 10 am or working from home because I need to let in a plumber or engineer. I couldn’t work in any other environment. If possible, yes I’d definitely look for another job.

rightsaidfrederickII Wed 29-Nov-17 10:01:56

You sound more senior than me and I would get that level of flexibility (probably work 10-6)

VelvetSpoon Wed 29-Nov-17 10:04:43

I'm allowed to work from home once a month. This is to complete a piece of work that requires more recent software than we have at work - think Excel 2010 not 2003, that kind of thing.

Other than that working from home isn't really a thing.

My manager is off atm due to a bereavement but I will raise this in my EOY review.

mumblechum0 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:07:11

My last employer (Solicitors firm) was just like that, always questioning if I was 10 mins late ( though never acknowledged when I worked late because I was stuck in court)

I got fed up and went freelance as a Willwriter and have never looked back.

Would you consider going self employed?

newmumwithquestions Wed 29-Nov-17 10:07:41

It’s old fashioned. However, talk to your manager to clear coming in late, not just mention it to a colleague.

I’ve managed people and tried to be flexible. I would always have accommodated a request to be in late for a plumber. However I was always approached by any employee in person and asked. I wouldn’t have been massively impressed to walk into work and not know that my team were coming in late/where they were etc as it made me look bad (especially as I gave my team more flexibility than other managers did so I needed to be able to justify anything if I was pulled up on it, which I sometimes was!)

Also an offer to make up hours was always appreciated. I knew which of my team were working over their hours anyway so I’d often tell them that it wasn’t necessary, but I always appreciated the offer regardless.

So maybe you should look for another job, but you should also look at managing your position to get the most out your current one.

VelvetSpoon Wed 29-Nov-17 10:25:44

My manager is currently off, so not possible to let them know beforehand otherwise I obviously would have done. There wasn't anyone else to 'ask' so I let my colleague who sits at the desk next tp me know.

VelvetSpoon Thu 30-Nov-17 08:45:01

So today I was trying to get to work early after the shit I got yesterday.

My bf was going to give me a lift to the station. He got stuck in traffic and took 25 mins to do 2 miles to my house. I just made it tp the station on time then all the trains were delayed. I basically burst into tears because I'll be late again.

I cant work in an environment that is upsetting me like this.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 30-Nov-17 08:46:34

Thats more about maintaining a sense of control over staff than about actual productivity. Its really outdated.

wasonthelist Thu 30-Nov-17 08:51:45

It is amazing how many backward and stupid employers like this still exist. A local software company I worked for briefly demands all male employees wear a suit and tie at all times and must have short and neat hair. They don't allow flexible or part time working at all. In 2017.

VelvetSpoon Thu 30-Nov-17 09:12:56

The worst part is that a male colleague regularly works from home, comes in late, leaves early. As far as I'm aware nothing is said. Yet I once am 20 mins late because I need to deal with a plumber and it's a big drama.

It's really unfair.

hamburgers Thu 30-Nov-17 09:30:32

This would drive me up the fucking wall. No way would I put up with being micro-managed like this. You’re a responsible adult and the fact you’re in late by an hour once in a blue moon to let the plumber in and get told off for it would have me walking out the door.

This happened to my friend recently - she had new carpets being fitted (old carpets are over 17 years old so it’s not like this happens every year) so said she’d work from home that day while they lay the carpets. She was told to take the day as annual leave. She quit then and there.

Clearoutre Thu 30-Nov-17 11:03:19

@hamburgers Go your friend! My husband had similar around the royal wedding a few years back when everyone wanted to combine the public holiday with annual leave. His boss said he couldn't take it off although there was no good reason (e.g. a deadline) so he said "Fine I'll just quit" - he was allowed to take the holiday!

You basically work hard to make your boss richer & more successful (and yourself of course) - if that doesn't sit right then look for someone who is worth investing your time & effort in and gives you the flexibility/support/mentoring/etc you want.

VelvetSpoon Thu 30-Nov-17 17:17:16

I have to give 3 months notice which does mean I'm stuck there til March even if I do tell them to stick the job somewhere...

My main worry is that I'm a lone parent, i don't have any money coming in apart from my earnings, and I am in a really niche role that wouldn't exist anywhere else.

But I can't put up with all this for much longer.

Neverender Thu 30-Nov-17 17:57:28

Go to a competitor and maybe they'll put you on gardening leave?

VelvetSpoon Thu 30-Nov-17 18:57:06

They would never pay gardening leave, I've worked here for nearly 10 years and loads of people have left, and all were made to work the full 3 months...

In some ways knowing I was leaving would make the 3 months easier to bear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now