Talk

Advanced search

School and religion

(317 Posts)
ThisLittleKitty Tue 28-Nov-17 23:06:05

Is it normal for a school (not a faith school) to teach children about Jesus? My son came home today telling me he had been told about "baby Jesus" and how he was "born on Christmas Day" I'm a little surprised by this as didn't realise the school would be saying this kind of thing. It's a very diverse school in south east london so many religions and we are not a religious family. Aibu to think this is not right?

CheapSausagesAndSpam Tue 28-Nov-17 23:08:33

I expect they will also teach about Eid and Ramadan. Religion is something most schools will touch upon.

Amanduh Tue 28-Nov-17 23:20:56

Well yes yabu, I assume they teach R.E

Littlelambpeep Tue 28-Nov-17 23:21:28

It is Christmas soon - they are bound to be learning about it

ThisLittleKitty Tue 28-Nov-17 23:25:47

But why speak about like it's fact? And what about the other children of different religions. Very confusing if you ask me! An no he has never mention Ramadan or eid.

HeyRoly Tue 28-Nov-17 23:27:20

They have to do assemblies of "a broadly Christian nature". I hate it. I think some schools pay lip service to it but others are more into it. Unfortunately my DD's school is the latter.

My DD started Reception with no concept of religions, God or church but now regularly tells me that she wants to become a Christian. I tell her she's welcome to do it when she's an adult wink

Neolara Tue 28-Nov-17 23:29:09

Totally normal. It would be weird and frankly negligent if schools didn't give kids basic knowledge about Christianitybgiven its cultural significance in the UK. And I saw this as an atheist who is totally against the principal of religious schools.

Neolara Tue 28-Nov-17 23:29:56

(So many typos..... Apologies)

noblegiraffe Tue 28-Nov-17 23:30:03

State schools are required to do a daily act of collective worship of a mainly Christian nature.

It’s what comes of having a state religion.

Each local authority has an agreed syllabus for RE. This one is Kensington and Chelsea https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/pdf/Agreed%20Syllabus%202014.pdf
If you put SACRE and the name of your local authority into google you will see what is taught. It sounds like festivals.

WorraLiberty Tue 28-Nov-17 23:31:56

It's only 'not right' if you want him to live in ignorance about religion and what other people believe.

How old is he?

ThisLittleKitty Wed 29-Nov-17 08:07:29

5 in year 1. So how best to deal with this and what would other parents do who don't believe/are different religions?

ShutUpBaz Wed 29-Nov-17 08:14:31

My DC (7 & 9) go a a very ethnically mixed state school (white-British minority if it matters). They learn about pretty much every major religion but the 'undertone' if you like is Christian (daily act of worship etc). We are not a religious family but I like that it teaches them background to our culture and also teaches them to understand and respect other religions. They can choose what they want to be when they are older. I can't get worked up about them quoting what they learn and smile and remain neutral.

I believe if you are dead set against it you can opt your children out of acts or worship, nativity etc if you ask the school? I could be wrong.

HuskyMcClusky Wed 29-Nov-17 08:16:34

I think YABU. I wouldn’t have an issue with it.

Allthetuppences Wed 29-Nov-17 08:19:19

Yes. Religion is still on the curriculum thanks to the unreasonable lie that religious leaders are moral lights with the best interests of children at heart. It's misplaced. As religious interest in education is entirely due to potential future worshippers and thus income.

treaclesoda Wed 29-Nov-17 08:21:08

There is a lot to of Christianity at my kids state school, and no learning about other religions. And although it's not a faith school it does say in the school information booklet that it promotes a Christian outlook. But we're in N Ireland and I've never come across a primary school that doesn't do the same.

HuskyMcClusky Wed 29-Nov-17 08:22:29

Religion is still on the curriculum thanks to the unreasonable lie that religious leaders are moral lights with the best interests of children at heart.

No, it’s still on the curriculum because it’s inextricably linked to culture & society & history, and knowing about religion is part of a well-rounded education.

PotteringAlong Wed 29-Nov-17 08:24:27

We're a Christian country. There's no such thing as a non-religious state school.

And you cannot be surprised that he's learning about the nativity at Christmas, surely? Did you really think you'd get through 7 years of primary education without any mention of a major festival, celebrated in some form by the majority of the country?

BarbarianMum Wed 29-Nov-17 08:24:51

I have a total issue with religion (well let's face it, Christianity) being taught as fact rather than belief. Luckily our school doesn't do this.

PotteringAlong Wed 29-Nov-17 08:25:10

No, it’s still on the curriculum because it’s inextricably linked to culture & society & history, and knowing about religion is part of a well-rounded education.

^^ this, exactly.

ThisLittleKitty Wed 29-Nov-17 08:27:02

It's more that it's being taught as a fact. I don't mind them learning about Christmas but "baby Jesus was born on Christmas Day" is inappropriate IMO.

LoniceraJaponica Wed 29-Nov-17 08:35:45

“I'm a little surprised by this as didn't realise the school would be saying this kind of thing.”

Really? That is a little naïve. Given that most of us celebrate Christmas in one form or another don’t you think children should be taught what Christmas is all about? The clue is in the name.

“Aibu to think this is not right?”

Yes, very hmm

“So how best to deal with this and what would other parents do who don't believe/are different religions?”

Given that most people are atheist/agnostic, exposing their children to religion at school hasn’t given us a generation of religious children has it? Just tell your son that this is what some people believe in, and that you don’t. It isn’t difficult. You can’t “shelter” your son from other points of view about religious belief, and if you want him to be able to think things through for himself and make an informed choice he needs to see all points of view.

I agree with HuskyMcClusky that knowing about all religions, including Christianity is part of a rounded education.

“but "baby Jesus was born on Christmas Day" is inappropriate IMO.”

Get over yourself. Everyone knows this isn’t a fact, even our vicar. A man called Jesus existed. No-one knows for sure when he was born. Christianity hijacked the winter festival to celebrate his birth. I assume that you don’t do Santa or the tooth fairy then?

Being told the Christmas story won’t damage him hmm

missyB1 Wed 29-Nov-17 08:37:28

Wow OP it must have come as such a terrible shock that your child's school has been talking about the nativity in the run up to Christmas, I can imagine you never saw that coming at all!!

ohhereweareagain Wed 29-Nov-17 08:41:04

Oh ffs .i have no problem with dd coming home discussing religious related stuff. Often does. Would you complain if it was about another religion? Fwiw no, I'm not Christian.

ShatnersWig Wed 29-Nov-17 08:42:25

Is this your eldest son, OP? I know you have four children so I can't understand why this wouldn't have come up before now in that case?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now