Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to do Elf on the Shelf for my class?

(93 Posts)
Bottomofsmughill Tue 28-Nov-17 19:14:18

Just looking for your thoughts really... I've bought Elf on the Shelf as I thought my year 4 kids would love finding him each morning. I'm not planning to tell them he's spying on them for Father Christmas though as I don't want to upset them/ be unfair to children of other faiths. My AIBU is will I get parents complaining it ruins EOTS at home/isn't fair on kids/it's too commercial/other complaints I've not considered? I feel a bit like I can't win at the moment so don't want to make a rod for my own back.

I wouldn’t have a problem with it if it was my DD. I think they would find it quite fun and engaging.
If you are worried could you not send an email out to the parents

Valerrie Tue 28-Nov-17 19:16:41

I did it for mine. They absolutely LOVED it and he did quite outrageous and naughty things throughout the school. The other teachers got involved and it was a huge success.

I also used it for learning opportunities. We engaged reluctant writers with stories and predictions and letters to Santa to complain about his naughtiness etc.

I still see some of them, now in comprehensive school and they remember him and his antics so fondly.

mygorgeousmilo Tue 28-Nov-17 19:17:22

Why do you say you can’t win at the moment? I guess the main question is, what are you hoping to achieve? I’m not a fan of elf on the shelf, but that’s not why I’m asking. I guess I just don’t see the point, and your post sounds as thought there might be underlying issues that this won’t gloss over.

Allthetuppences Tue 28-Nov-17 19:17:30

It is really commercial and unimaginative. But probably better than gradually constructing a nativity scene.

paxillin Tue 28-Nov-17 19:18:13

How many parents are involved to that degree at year 4? Chances are at that stage I'd hear about it after about a week if at all. I have found come year 3 even the most demanding PFB parents have relaxed a bit and the precious baby does not need a podium place every day.

gingergenius Tue 28-Nov-17 19:19:41

My daughter is yr 4 and she's LOVE this! Go for it!

Balfe Tue 28-Nov-17 19:20:31

Do it the last week or so.

It's a pain in the backside thinking of seventeen funny things for it to do.

Ttbb Tue 28-Nov-17 19:20:39

I wouldn't mind at all despite not being an elf on the shelfer myself.

ludothedog Tue 28-Nov-17 19:22:31

Yip, my dd who's in p4 loves the naughty elf. The elf Having a poo on the coffee table was one of her favourite naughty antic although she did have nightmares after he did that!

LuckyAmy1986 Tue 28-Nov-17 19:22:58

I think that’s really sweet even though I don’t do EOTS and would have no issue with it

thepatchworkcat Tue 28-Nov-17 19:23:32

Some year 3 teachers at my school do it and the kids love it. If it was me I could not be bothered!

When my DS’ nursery did it last year I was v pleased as then it meant I didn’t have to!

TheweewitchRoz Tue 28-Nov-17 19:24:02

I don't do it myself, but think my year 4 son would quite like it so I say go for it!

ArbitraryName Tue 28-Nov-17 19:24:51

DS2’s Y2 teacher did elf of the shelf with them. The kids really liked it.

She had them writing letters about his behaviour, and also had him cause ‘messes’ that involved the children using maths or literacy to ‘clear up’/sort out. Sadly I can’t remember any clear examples of it, but she was pretty inventive with it.

why12345 Tue 28-Nov-17 19:28:19

My daughter came home from school so excited today that an Elf is coming to visit their class room. So you wont be the only teacher doing this. It's a lovely idea!! Don't be worried about offending people at this time of year you can't stop doing festive things just because some people don't celebrate Christmas.

Valerrie Tue 28-Nov-17 19:31:21

Unimaginative? I'd say it was quite the opposite.

Mountainpika Tue 28-Nov-17 19:34:41

Does it have to be an elf? Another creature could take up residence.

gateto Tue 28-Nov-17 19:36:16

I would maybe say Yr 4 is a little old for this?

How many of them would actually believe?

EekThreek Tue 28-Nov-17 19:40:21

I don't do elf on the shelf, because I cba to think of new naughty things every night, year after year. Christmas is enough effort without having to remember the fucking elf too!

But if DD's (y3) teacher did this, she would love it! So I say knock yourself out! Even better if you get the other teachers in on it too.

And if DD's teacher did this, I would think she was ace and I'd really appreciate the extra effort she was putting in, on top of teaching and herding a classful of excitable 7/8 year olds through Christmas play rehearsals, panto trips and all the other stuff teachers have to do this time of year!

FlakeBook Tue 28-Nov-17 19:42:19

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as you didn't pretend the elf was actually real, or that children have to be good to get presents. If it was just a game, I'd be fine with it.

Bottomofsmughill Tue 28-Nov-17 19:45:47

Thanks all! I like the idea of using it for free writing valerrie. mygorgeousmilo it's just a few niggles from a couple of parents but along the lines of me being too strict/not strict enough. Not too bad in itself but parents x2 have been a bit odd. The head is aware and v supportive of me so no worries, just wearing. gatego I've found there's usually a mix of believers and non FC believers in year 4 but they're really good at letting others believe!

Valerrie Tue 28-Nov-17 19:47:09

My Year 5 child still believes and so do most of his class, bar one or two. I've taught many a year six class who have mostly believed.

ferntwist Tue 28-Nov-17 19:48:04

I’m intrigued, what’s elf on the shelf?? Sounds fun

ArbitraryName Tue 28-Nov-17 19:49:05

DS2 is in Y4 and would probably enjoy it.

From your comments, you could be his teacher. In our case, the whinging parents are arses and will complain about anything.

Bottomofsmughill Tue 28-Nov-17 19:50:05

eek you sound lovely! 99% of my parents are like this but it's the others you think about after work! I agree flake that the pressure to be good for the elf would be too much. My first thought a few years ago when I heard of Elf was it was tacky commercial shit but now I fancy giving the kids a bit of fun! L

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: