Talk

Advanced search

To be completely shocked and disgusted at her reaction?

(18 Posts)
panicmodeenabled Mon 27-Nov-17 10:50:56

Bumped into Ex-DP's mum and DD in town the other day. Their whole family is a bit weird to say the least. Long history of hating each other and going to all sorts of extremes in their love/hate relationships.
She hasn't seen my DD (her granddaughter) in over a year. Her reaction to this was to say to my DD "Have you been a good girl?" And then turn away to ask me if I still had that DVD she lent her not so DS 2/3 years ago.
No further communication with her GD. Not even a second glance in her direction. Her 10 year old DD was actually making an effort, bending down to have a chat with my DD.

AIBU to be completely shocked at her lack of reaction to this random meeting?
Surely there should have been some sort of emotion there?! maybe they're all just heartless b*stards-

IlikemyTeahot Wed 29-Nov-17 21:41:39

does seem odd

AnneLovesGilbert Wed 29-Nov-17 21:44:25

Very weird but if it caught her completely off guard she might not have known what to say.

Does your ex never take DD to see his mum?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 29-Nov-17 21:54:35

Very sad. Probably explains a lot about why he's your X?

CrossFreelancer Wed 29-Nov-17 21:57:06

She just sounds like a strange strange woman. It's really sad that she isn't taking a part in her granddaughters life

BarbarianMum Wed 29-Nov-17 21:59:31

Unless they used to be very close "shocked and disgusted" seems a bit of an over reaction - she said hello, dhe didn't spit on her.

Lots of grandparents aren't particularly close to their grandchildren, or particularly demonstrative with them. Dh never got more than a pat on the head and a "run along and play" from one of his grannies but doesn't feel short-changed.

I guess if she has several children over a wide age range she's probably in mum rather than grandma mode at the moment anyway.

Gemini69 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:04:59

I'm confused... does she also have a DD ? and you also have a DD ?

MistressoftheYoniverse Wed 29-Nov-17 22:08:31

You totally know these people are ODD..lol expect nothing less, weird people act weird wink

JoJoSM2 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:08:43

If they haven’t seen each other in over a year, then she’s probably not that fussed about being in touch or she’s been kept at a distance. And bumping into you must have been pretty awkward anyway.

Bluntness100 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:10:42

I read it the granny has a daughter, who is ten and rhe op has a daughter, who is younger and the granny ignored the daughter, but asked for her cd back and thr daughter tried to engage with the Garland daughter.

Mumof56 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:13:56

You were not bothered about their relationship for over a year, yet if she doesn't gush on meeting, you are shocked and disgusted. hmm

IslingtonLou Wed 29-Nov-17 22:24:32

I mean if you haven’t spoken in over a year and weren’t planning on a reconciliation what did you expect? They haven’t really developed a relationship or been very close so her reaction was tame (which is sad don’t get me wrong)

Viviennemary Wed 29-Nov-17 22:26:28

No I don't think it was that strange given the fact that she hasn't seen either of you for a year and it seems you live in the same area if you bumped into each other. She probably just felt awkward about the whole thing and didn't know what to say. And the CD was mentioned just out of searching for something to say.

Gemini69 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:56:18

aahh ok.. thank you Bluntness ..

harrypotternerd Wed 29-Nov-17 23:06:05

I wouldn't worry about it tbh. My ex's parents haven't bothered with my DC since 2010, when I split with their son, ex hasn't seen the DC for that long either because he hasn't been bothered.

I messaged ex's parents a few years ago on facebook and offered to keep them updated on the DC, arrange times to see them etc but they both refused.
Their loss

MrsPringles Thu 30-Nov-17 06:18:14

Yeah weird.

But she sounds mental so you’re better off without her in your life I think. So I would thank my lucky stars you didn’t have to deal with that on a daily basis to be honest confused

Emlou07 Thu 30-Nov-17 06:20:19

Just weird. Your poor daughter sad

panicmodeenabled Thu 30-Nov-17 08:45:02

@mumof56
It's not like I haven't been trying to keep in touch. All I get back is "I'll let you know when we're free" or just nothing at all.
@Viviennemary
Though its nice to think she was just awkward, that is sadly far from the truth. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, she once went 3 years without seeing her 'DS' and when they finally met up again she acted like she couldn't of cared less, as if he'd just popped to the shops for 15 minutes, not disappeared for 3 years.
@BarbarianMum
They used to be close. Used to see her nearly every week, she was besotted with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now