Talk

Advanced search

to think Facebook has had its day?

(80 Posts)
rcat Sun 26-Nov-17 21:55:54

Dh uses it,PIL and my parents use it,pretty much everyone I know uses it including me (reluctantly) but it’s so utterly crap I keep wondering what the appeal is.

Years ago when I first joined it was a bit of fun and now I’m luckily if I even see an old friend’s fb feed because Facebook’s algorithm filters many friends out.People try to sell me stuff on there which annoys me and there are so many ads on there now.

But everyone is on there and to leave it feels a bit like living on the moon.Dh thinks im bonkers and a fusspot doesn’t get why it’s so crap.AIBU to think Facebook is very boring and tired?

donajimena Sun 26-Nov-17 21:57:28

Don't use it if you don't like it.

RunningOutOfCharge Sun 26-Nov-17 21:58:37

What do you like instead?

FittonTower Sun 26-Nov-17 22:00:02

There are other ways to keep in touch with people if you don't like it. I don't think it's going anywhere but it's not compulsory so I wouldn't let it worry you op

scrabbler3 Sun 26-Nov-17 22:01:11

I agree. I've missed pregnancy and promotion news because of all the ads clogging up my timeline. I see that person x (whom I don't know) has written "it was good to see you earlier" on my friend's wall but I don't see that friend's status update about their health, which I'd want to observe and comment on.

It was much better when I joined in 2007. Simpler and more user friendly.

Mamabear4180 Sun 26-Nov-17 22:02:05

yanbu it's boring, full of ads and self obsessed selfies and attention seekers.

Violletta Sun 26-Nov-17 22:03:11

I report EVERY ad as offensive..... it's my little backlash against fb

SardineJam Sun 26-Nov-17 22:03:45

I made a conscious decision nearly 2 years ago to deactivate my account and can't say I miss it one bit, I found it was becoming a place to share crap, and I was always wasting my time trawling through for any worthwhile update (never was anything that worthwhile). Family all staying connected on Whatsapp now

10kToBe Sun 26-Nov-17 22:03:52

YANBU thanks to the algorithms all I see are ‘pages’ and ‘videos’

DancesWithOtters Sun 26-Nov-17 22:04:33

@Violletta that's fucking genius!

I'm doing that now.

SwishswishBiTCH Sun 26-Nov-17 22:04:41

I agree with you OP I find it so boring and same shit all the time. I've been off it 6 years and never looked back smilemost people don't know much about my life. Most of them don't even know I've had a second child.

I have a phone I can ring the people I want/need to talk to. Don't need that crap. I found when I had it all it did was brought me trouble anyway.

I don't judge anyone that has it though lol. DP, DGM, DM and the rest of the family all use it and absloutley love it. This is just my own preferencesmile I'm a boring bed at 7pm woman

MammaTJ Sun 26-Nov-17 22:05:03

Violetta, I love that and am going to start doing the same!

ShowOfHands Sun 26-Nov-17 22:06:17

I'd like it better if I saw what my friends were doing. I see stuff from the same 4 people, plus sponsored crap, adverts and selling stuff. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong. If I set to "most recent", I still see stuff from days ago first. I can go to a friend's page and they've announced news, posted pictures of new babies, passed exams and on and on. Does this come up in my newsfeeds? Never.

rcat Sun 26-Nov-17 22:06:53

Yes scrabbler I miss the days of 2007 Facebook it was easier and I actually liked it then.

Dh thinks I should stay on fb just to make life easier to arrange things contact family.I don’t like twitter or Instagram either all those people doing selfies puts me off.

I’m just a grumpy old woman these days!

shittyshittybang Sun 26-Nov-17 22:08:13

I've just deactivated my account too. I just can't bare it.
The only positive things on there are some of the groups.....but MN ticks that box too.

My Space was great....I'd love to see that have a resurgence.

LagunaBubbles Sun 26-Nov-17 22:08:20

Oh an anti- FB thread, that's new! My Facebook isn't boring or tired, must be the people you have on yours.

Twoevils Sun 26-Nov-17 22:08:31

The ad onslaught on my page seems to have diminished (apart from the pages I have liked/followed). I went through a sustained period of objecting to every ad that appeared (and they were every 10 posts or so at one point). I asked to hide all ads from that advertiser. After quite a long time they seem to have just stopped appearing! Can only hope that FBs algorithms do learn that you don't want to hear about random shit - who knows though!

oliviapopeswineglass Sun 26-Nov-17 22:08:44

I deleted my account almost two years ago, it’s wonderful. I email, text and call more of the people I want to be in touch with and vice versa. Seeing someone’s post or liking a photo is not being genuinely in touch. Everyone knows someone who has posted a photo or message that is the front or impression of their lives they want to show and not the genuine real life situation they are in.
I’m happy for people who get what they want out of it, but if it isn’t doing it for you deactivate and don’t lose ok backsmile

oliviapopeswineglass Sun 26-Nov-17 22:10:44

*Don’t look back! That should have said.

WantingMuchMore Sun 26-Nov-17 22:12:50

I've never had a Facebook account...

Nestlyn Sun 26-Nov-17 22:12:55

Be brave and deactivate your account, you'll free up so much of your time. I came off a couple of years ago and after speaking to different friends I found out they were no longer on anymore either.

People with interesting lives are too busy to post every five minutes. Who cares that someone is in costa buying a coffee, how boring. Last time I went on someone was sharing that they were changing their type of contraception. Who wants to waste 5 minutes of their life reading shit like that.

rcat Sun 26-Nov-17 22:13:01

Oliviapope yes I agree about the liking photos it’s not really being in touch at all.Its very fake I am tempted to just delete it.Dh is laughing at me again,he loves fb.

Tryingtogetitright Sun 26-Nov-17 22:13:44

I only joined FB in July after always being a bit nervous of it! I quite like it, but I agree that you don't seem to see all your friends' posts. Is there a setting I should change?

rcat Sun 26-Nov-17 22:14:44

Nestlyn I agree.There are a lot on mine who share boring things but mainly there are so many attention seeking people with big egos.

rcat Sun 26-Nov-17 22:16:51

Tryingtogetitright no I think fb is engineered to show you the friends who you most interact with.At least that’s how I understand it.I go for long periods not bothering with it so I hardly see anyone’s posts unless I look them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now