Talk

Advanced search

To take a home made cake into work for my birthday knowing at least one person doesnt eat homemade?

(273 Posts)
Slartybartfast Sun 26-Nov-17 09:00:03

for reasons I cannot fathom

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sun 26-Nov-17 09:00:46

If most people will enjoy it, go for it.

CasperGutman Sun 26-Nov-17 09:00:54

Of course YANBU.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 26-Nov-17 09:01:10

Possibly worried about cross contamination and they have an allergy?

So yes, YABU.

NoSquirrels Sun 26-Nov-17 09:02:36

Buy a packet of biscuits to go with the cake- job done.

Slartybartfast Sun 26-Nov-17 09:02:36

No she has no allergies and what is the deal with cross contamination?

LunasSpectreSpecs Sun 26-Nov-17 09:03:04

If they have a nut allergy or something similar, it would be nice to get a cheap supermarket cake instead.

If they're one of those "ewwww, germs and bacteria" people who think that baking your own is disgusting and filthy, crack on with the baking and don't feel bad about leaving them out.

LunasSpectreSpecs Sun 26-Nov-17 09:04:21

Cross contamination - means that even if your Victoria Sponge is nut-free they might still have a reaction if you'd prepared peanut butter on toast for your breakfast in the same space.

But that's not an issue you say, they're just one of those weird people with hangups about homemade food.

Slartybartfast Sun 26-Nov-17 09:04:54

they are of the eeeew camp

KnockMeDown Sun 26-Nov-17 09:04:57

Surely if it's home made you can better control ingredients in case of any allergies? But OP says it's for unknown reasons, so YANBU, and it means that there is more for the rest of you!

ColonelJackONeil Sun 26-Nov-17 09:05:30

Take it and may be a packet of biscuits or something that keeps as an alternative.

crunchermuncher Sun 26-Nov-17 09:06:00

I don't understand the whole 'I don't eat home made' thing (except for allergies). What do these people do if they're invited round to someone's for dinner? Insist on getting a takeaway?

It's their choice but why should everyone else miss out on a nice cake that isn't full of additives and crap? Bring shop biscuits too if you can be arsed.

Pengggwn Sun 26-Nov-17 09:06:25

I don't understand why people object to eating a home made cake but not one cooked in god-knows what factory? It's weird. Take your cake in.

RoganJosh Sun 26-Nov-17 09:06:31

I don’t see why everyone else should have to put up with a less nice cake because of one. I’d bring in a homemade one and reassure her that it was made entirely hygenically.

ABCEDFGHIJKMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ Sun 26-Nov-17 09:06:34

If she's of the 'Eeeeeeeeewww' camp then YANBU. Her loss.

chickenowner Sun 26-Nov-17 09:06:49

Most people appreciate homemade, the fact that you've taken time to make something shows that you care about your colleagues.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 26-Nov-17 09:07:14

Cross contamination is if you use (eg) a knife that's been used to cut something with an allergen in and then use it on the allergen free version without cleaning it properly.

Or am I using the wrong terminology? I probably am grin

But if no allergies then crack on!

judgymoo Sun 26-Nov-17 09:07:32

Just buy a shop made cupcake for the awkward one and let the others eat lovely homemade cake - job done

Skarossinkplunger Sun 26-Nov-17 09:07:40

I wouldn’t bother thinking about her at all. Take in your homemade cake and enjoy with the rest of your colleagues,

ivykaty44 Sun 26-Nov-17 09:07:50

It’s your choice to bake a cake and take to work and share

It’s her choice whether she eats your offering

GracielaSabrocita Sun 26-Nov-17 09:08:25

I will have his/her slice.

SomethingPhishy Sun 26-Nov-17 09:08:27

I'll have their slice! I take a small shop bought alternative in case someone doesn't like the cake I've made. A packet of Jaffa cakes or Mr Kipling slices work well.

DamsonGin Sun 26-Nov-17 09:09:26

Mmmm, cake 🎂

If its your birthday and you that's bringing in the cake then I'm fairly sure it's you that gets to decide what to bring in.

If they had allergies, it would be considerate to make it safe for them but as they're just ewww, they can go and buy their own.

Happy baking, what are you going to make?

Lweji Sun 26-Nov-17 09:09:57

Just take your home baked cake.

sparechange Sun 26-Nov-17 09:10:13

There was a thread about people who don't eat homemade food recently

I was shock how many people have issues about obsessive hygiene, and how many think it's ok or normal. Totally bizarre.

I'm glad none of my friends have this sort of neurosis and I definitely wouldn't be pandering to anyone who did

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now