Talk

Advanced search

... to ask you for your non-cliche presents for the (very) elderly

(141 Posts)
rightsaidfrederickII Fri 24-Nov-17 21:02:56

Let's be honest. They've had a lot of Christmases and they've been considered old for about the last 15/20 of them, and all the classic old person presents have been done to death so many times they never want to see a set of smellies or pot plant again.

The following are officially off the list:
Calendars
Nice toiletries
Flowers
Chocolates / other sweet things
Long books (the concentration isn't there anyway)
Tech which contains more than 3 buttons (more trouble than it's worth to teach them how to use it and have them forget by Boxing Day, and again the day after that)
Shite made by the kids
Pot plants
Alcohol (half a glass and someone will fall over and break their hip)
Jigsaws and other puzzles
Hat / glove / scarf sets

What has everyone else come up with? Previous successes of mine for someone nearer 100 than 90 but still independent include
- 'One cup' kettle that dispenses a cup of hot water at time and means she doesn't have to lift the kettle any more www.argos.co.uk/product/1219292 (11 months on and she's still saying how good it is!!)
- Coffee table books of her favourite animal species and - for the people watcher in her - Humans of New York Stories www.amazon.co.uk/Humans-New-York-Brandon-Stanton/dp/1447295552?tag=mumsnetforum-21
- A 'meet the animals' experience at the local zoo where she got to go into the enclosure and feed them (wheelchair friendly, hurrah!)

Anyone else had any inspired ideas?

ButterflyForest Fri 24-Nov-17 21:04:19

Jigsaw, favourite chocolates, scarf, jumper, jewellerysmile

SausagePerfume Fri 24-Nov-17 21:05:00

I bought a gift voucher for her local theatre for my grandma last year. We ended up going together and she loved it.

She's also enjoyed vouchers for massages/facials etc.

confusedlittleone Fri 24-Nov-17 21:05:29

My go to is blanket with arms 😂

TheNoseyProject Fri 24-Nov-17 21:05:47

A selection box of dried fruit. I know it’s a bit odd but it went down so well as it was a treat in her childhood.

ButterflyForest Fri 24-Nov-17 21:06:11

Sorry, wrote some of your no-go list.

Another idea: duvet cover and cushions for bedroom/lounge- something that the recipient might not buy often.

RedBlackberries Fri 24-Nov-17 21:06:20

Audible books.

ChoccyJules Fri 24-Nov-17 21:06:21

One of those 'Britain from above' photo books.

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 24-Nov-17 21:06:23

A voucher for lunch out?

A home made cake?

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 24-Nov-17 21:07:46

I've just had a box of Medjoul dates from Asda - they are absolutely gorgeous.

I found with my mum and dad that they liked nice food - although they didn't eat as much as before, whatever they did eat they liked it to be really nice.

Pattyandbump Fri 24-Nov-17 21:07:52

ButterflyForest did you read the OP?

DVD boxsets have gone down well in the past, as has a DAB radio.

sandgrown Fri 24-Nov-17 21:08:12

Magazine subscription, Music compilation like the one by Len Goodman. Digital radio. Theatre tokens or tickets for a show.

aniceearlynight Fri 24-Nov-17 21:08:13

Voucher for tea in a 'posh' hotel nearby which you will pick them up and chauffeur them to/from.

TeaBelle Fri 24-Nov-17 21:08:36

I'm making christmas cakes but in cupcake sizes (4 in a box) so hopefully a treat without being overwhelming/ too much waste. Gifted with a tea towel decorated by dd (3)

Todayissunny Fri 24-Nov-17 21:09:08

My mil is I an op home. Ds made her a cushion with a heart on it out of old material we had (on sewing machine with my help). She was thrilled. Book with a dc home made bookmark -she read the book and passed it on.she has no space for anything though probably wont give her anything this year as I have no ideas.. .

Ffsdh Fri 24-Nov-17 21:09:17

I know they are cliches but my gm (94) loves a photobook. I’ve got her some really nicely bound ones that she keeps on her coffee table to bore all her visitor with.

She’s also a big fan of slippers, particularly soft, easy to get on ones like the Ugg slippers.

She likes RSPB and National Trust memberships as much for the magazines as for the free entry.

Juancornetto Fri 24-Nov-17 21:09:40

Local history book for the area they grew up in

FemaleDilbert Fri 24-Nov-17 21:10:02

My go-to for oldies is a regular basket made out like a hamper and go round m&s or Waitrose and filled with posh nibbles, sweets, chutneys - that kind of thing. Tends to go down well as it’s the kind of things people may not buy for themselves or not be able to browse for in shops.

Plus get a dozen or so things they’re bound to like at least some of them

Bananamanfan Fri 24-Nov-17 21:10:21

When our grandmothers were suffering with dementia/alzeimers they loved cuddly toys. My nanny loved dogs and I bought her a lovely soft jellycat dog. DH's nana loved bears and used to keep a teddy bear tucked into her jumper.

ByThePowerOfRa Fri 24-Nov-17 21:11:03

I’ve just ordered a photo blanket for my granny, with pictures of all her great-grandchildren on it.

I love the one cup kettle idea too though.

Ttbb Fri 24-Nov-17 21:12:44

CDs, things relating to hobbies ( e.g. Pinncushion, knitting box, gardening gloves), calendars (chilche but useful), tea cups/pots/nice tea.

ByThePowerOfRa Fri 24-Nov-17 21:13:07

You can buy cuddley companion dog and cat soft toy things which look and sound like they’re breathing. They aren’t real obviously, but they look like real, sleeping animals.

reallyorange Fri 24-Nov-17 21:13:52

nice big cushion or blanket type thing. My grandma loved a cushion I got her from Past Times

DJBaggySmalls Fri 24-Nov-17 21:14:13

A selection of old fashioned sweets in easy to open containers. (I found some plastic cookie jars in the pound shop).
Home made cakes, rock buns and biscuits.

echt Fri 24-Nov-17 21:15:57

A subscription to "The Oldie". I've been reading it since it came out when I was in my 30s. An entertaining read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now