Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you buy for someone you hate

(188 Posts)
SparkyFire Fri 24-Nov-17 15:43:53

Ok, hate might be a bit strong but I really dislike my OH's dad.

The problem is that my OH lives at 'home' still (bit of an unusual set up - my OH's dad has tonnes of land and my OH lives in a second house (alone) on that land (he pays rent to his dad), as that's where my OH's business is and the business isn't something that can be moved).

ANYWAY.

At first I could have a laugh (kind of, it was still that fake type of laughing) with his dad but it's gotten to the point I just think he's insufferable.

He treats OH's mum like crap most of the time, he's mean with his words, he doesn't care about any of his sons' emotional well-being (they're men, why would they ever feel sad? hmm) and he is constantly patronising me in terms of my financial situation (which is perfectly normal, I'm just not driving around in a different car every day like he does...) and every day choices. But of course, it's mostly all said in a joke voice so I can't take offence.

I generally try to spend as little time around him as possible but I told my OH I would spend Christmas with his family and now I'm wondering what the heck to buy his dad.

Any ideas? blush

InsomniacAnonymous Fri 24-Nov-17 15:44:58

A plot in a graveyard?

expatinscotland Fri 24-Nov-17 15:45:10

The Nick Knowles album.

TheQueenOfWands Fri 24-Nov-17 15:45:49

Bridesmaids on DVD.

Trinity66 Fri 24-Nov-17 15:46:56

Socks? grin

user1474128210 Fri 24-Nov-17 15:47:15

A zip for his big mouth jk

isseywithcats Fri 24-Nov-17 15:48:49

a lynx gift set lynx smells ok and is just under not giving a shit about what youve bought a person

Cornettoninja Fri 24-Nov-17 15:49:00

Selection of jam in tiny jars. Quite clearly a gift but shit and of no use to anyone.

If he likes jam get dried herb version.

LexieLulu Fri 24-Nov-17 15:49:06

One of those fake scratch cards that are "winners" x

Shoxfordian Fri 24-Nov-17 15:50:25

Bottle of something generic

GrockleBocs Fri 24-Nov-17 15:51:25

A cookery book.

SootSprite Fri 24-Nov-17 15:51:38

A second vote for the Nick Knowles album.

As he likes cars how about some shite car washing stuff from Halfords? You need to choose a gift you can present with an innocent face, so needs to be related to something he would like, but is actually utter tripe. Car air fresheners?

Rebeccaslicker Fri 24-Nov-17 15:51:53

There's a thread about Gisela Graham items and liberty at the moment where people have bought a Christmas tit on a toadstool. There are photos and it looks perfect for someone like your FIL!

Rebeccaslicker Fri 24-Nov-17 15:52:48

Cornetto - my dad loves those bloody jars. He wheels them out every time we stay over.

I've been his daughter for several decades and he's never seen me eat jam yet. But he still persists!

toolonglurking Fri 24-Nov-17 15:53:44

If he likes whisky get him a bottle of gin.

If he likes gin get him a bottle of whisky.

If he doesn't drink, get him both!

SparkyFire Fri 24-Nov-17 15:53:44

These replies have me howling. Please keep them coming.

"You need to choose a gift you can present with an innocent face, so needs to be related to something he would like, but is actually utter tripe"

This is bang on and what I need to aim for grin

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Fri 24-Nov-17 15:54:00

Hard to chew toffees.

HottySnanky Fri 24-Nov-17 15:54:10

This, since presumably he thinks of himself as one what with owning an estate and all.

randomer Fri 24-Nov-17 15:54:46

Nowt

Rebeccaslicker Fri 24-Nov-17 15:56:39

Or a £25 title to go with his ideas above his station:

www.thepresentfinder.co.uk/buy/become-lord-lady!_120.htm

Whatsoccuringlovely Fri 24-Nov-17 15:56:52

THought nick knowles did house makeovers!! Explain

Oh soap on a rope, miniature board games, a ped egg?

teaandtoast Fri 24-Nov-17 15:58:31

A Billy Bass (singing fish). It's got a big mouth.

Toohardtofindaproperusername Fri 24-Nov-17 16:01:18

One of those gifts like "a toilet" or goat or something - you can say you know he cares about others and doesn't need anything ( if it's a toilet it also has symbolism for you and the gift is honest- he's full of shit isn't he?

Oh dear- you could have a field day

PurpleAlerts Fri 24-Nov-17 16:02:55

Buy him one of those sponsor a goat for a poor African village things.

Blodplod Fri 24-Nov-17 16:03:54

@expatinscotland- loving your suggestion of the Nick Knowles album. But yes, get something so shit that it’s not obvious it’s shit and piss taking... I could lend you my Xmas decoration Owl that my mother bought me for my birthday present (in March) a few years back? Wtf have owls got to do with Christmas? Yes it was a decoration because it had a label on it saying Xmas decoration. But but but, she gave it to me on my birthday (obviously bought in the January sales) It confirmed instantly that she hates me.. grin. Oh, and she then tried to blame my dislike of said gift down to the fact ‘I didn’t appreciate it for what it was’. That’s the type of thing you need here..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: