Talk

Advanced search

To ask parents not to smoke at the school gates?

(55 Posts)
Whatsinanameanyway201 Fri 24-Nov-17 11:33:19

Every morning myself and my children have to walk through a cloud of smoke. Surely smoking at the school gate is unreasonable??
I've mentioned it to the school but they seem reluctant to address the issue.
Its particularly bugged me this week while I'm suffering from bronchitis. Breathing clean air is hard enough but having to breathe in that crap just to take my children to school it horrendous.

Stormwhale Fri 24-Nov-17 11:34:09

Yanbu at all.

OldWitch00 Fri 24-Nov-17 11:35:20

The school should put up a no smoking within so many feet sign. Standard here in Canada (150 meters btw) along with no idiling car engines.

cherrycola2004 Fri 24-Nov-17 11:35:29

Signs all up at my local primary gates to say no smoking. You think they could wait 5 mins then have a fag after dropping off their DC or before they collect. YANBU

Jaxhog Fri 24-Nov-17 11:41:08

YANBU!

Missonihoni Fri 24-Nov-17 15:42:28

I smoke and this is disgusting I would say to them you don't smoke neither do your children so move !

Missonihoni Fri 24-Nov-17 15:46:12

Imagine if I used punctuation in that comment, it would actually make sense. grin

LunasSpectreSpecs Fri 24-Nov-17 15:48:38

Yes of course it's unacceptable but some parents couldn't care less. They're probably the same sorts of people who park in the disabled spaces at my child's school so that the parnents of the children who need the spaces can't get in.

Trinity66 Fri 24-Nov-17 15:49:06

I'd probably ask the school to say it to them or put up signs. You might just get abuse if you say it the them yourself (I mean do if you want but it would probably have better results coming from the school)

cathyclown Fri 24-Nov-17 15:49:11

I'm not one for complaining about people's choices, but at a school gate, entrance to hospitals etc. I do agree that it is awful.

No smoking within say 50 metres/yards of the gates might help, but it would have to be enforced. Who will do that?

FlashTheSloth Fri 24-Nov-17 15:51:19

YANBU. They do this as our school too. Same ones every day, turn up to pick up children 25 minutes early so plenty of time to not smoke at the gate. They aren't the the you would confront either.

Shoxfordian Fri 24-Nov-17 15:51:46

Smoking outside is legal. I'm sure if you walk through quickly then it'll all be over soon.

Rebeccaslicker Fri 24-Nov-17 15:54:21

YANBU. Who is that un-self-aware?? I wouldn't be able to keep quiet and I'm normally pretty laidback.

Although I suppose if kids see parents doing it, it might make it less cool? That's the only straw I can clutch at!

PorklessPie Fri 24-Nov-17 15:55:44

YANBU

windowSong Fri 24-Nov-17 15:56:29

YABU. Calm down.

Discotits Fri 24-Nov-17 15:58:26

YANBU. I can’t imagine the sort of people who would do this are the sort who’d take kindly to being confronted either.

ArbitraryName Fri 24-Nov-17 16:00:39

Being legal doesn’t make something ok. I’m pretty sure that most smokers think standing at the school gate smoking is poor form.

Invisimamma Fri 24-Nov-17 16:00:49

Yanbu! Although the health risk outside is minimal it’s not good role modelling!

There’s some good info on this page about why smoke free Spaces are important for preventing children from taking up smoking later in life, and signs the school can use at the gates too www.ashscotland.org.uk/play.

x2boys Fri 24-Nov-17 16:36:28

What exactly do you expect the school to do ?I get that it isn't pleasant but its outside of the schools property the schol cant dictate what parents do out of their grounds confused

LoniceraJaponica Fri 24-Nov-17 16:39:46

"Being legal doesn’t make something ok. I’m pretty sure that most smokers think standing at the school gate smoking is poor form."

This ^^

HousefulOfBoysNow Fri 24-Nov-17 16:42:45

The school could at the very least send out a message asking parents to be respectful and not smoke directly outside the school gate.

I would ask the school again op rather than approaching them yourself.

Yanbu though, it's gross.

Trinity66 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:43:34

What exactly do you expect the school to do ?I get that it isn't pleasant but its outside of the schools property the schol cant dictate what parents do out of their grounds

My kids schools often sent out texts/letters asking parents stuff that wasn't against the law either, they're just requests to make the school safer for kids

Ellendegeneres Fri 24-Nov-17 16:47:07

This pees me off. Every morning same thing. Luckily they move when lots of people are there, so quite fast, but for the sake of 5mins, you'd think they could wait

bingolittle Fri 24-Nov-17 16:47:56

It's one of the things that put me off a couple of our local schools. It was a factor we discussed when doing the schools application form.

Small thing, but the attitude of the other parents is a factor in the atmosphere of the school and how much the school can achieve.

x2boys Fri 24-Nov-17 16:53:47

My son's school do the same Trinity but they can only request they can't stop stuff .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now