Talk

Advanced search

To be suprised

(96 Posts)
1DAD2KIDS Fri 24-Nov-17 10:02:05

I parked at the supermarket with my toddler in a parent and child space (1 of only 2 spaces). A woman parked in the other parent and toddler space next to me. It was clear she didn't have a child with her. I pointed out that it was a parent and child space. She said I have a car seat. I pointed out that having a car seat was not the same as having a child with you. I was expecting abuse or her to just walk off but surprising she mumbled something (I didn't hear) got in her car and drove off.

One part of me felt a bit of a dick, I mean who made me the parking police. But then I thought no. There are only 2 parent and child spaces in the carpark. Its massively selfish and unfair for her to take a space away from someone who has to get young children out of the car just because she was to lazy to park further away.

Dippydippydora Fri 24-Nov-17 10:03:53

Gets out popcorn grin

EdmundCleverClogs Fri 24-Nov-17 10:05:44

One part of me felt a bit of a dick, I mean who made me the parking police.

This. Obviously P and C spaces are not that important to this supermarket and I’m sure most parents manage with such... mediocre parking facilities.

ZigZagandDustin Fri 24-Nov-17 10:06:04

Lol, fair enough to point it out to her.

Lol even more that she thought having a car seat was reason enough to use it!!

Sparklingbrook Fri 24-Nov-17 10:09:30

I am surprised to see a P&C space police thread quite so soon after the last 11 or so pager.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Fri 24-Nov-17 10:38:03

I once drove into Tesco car park and the boy racer type who'd roared into the car park ahead of me swung into the only available p&c space. I slowed down and mouthed 'knob' through the window (I know, hardly my finest hour but didn't want kids to hear and was exhausted and frustrated). To my utter surprise he got back in his car and moved to another space. I tried to find him in the supermarket to say thank you but didn't see him!

tinysparklyshoes Fri 24-Nov-17 10:48:52

One part of me felt a bit of a dick, I mean who made me the parking police. But then I thought no

Should have gone with your first instinct, you were totally a bit of a dick.
I would have told you to fuck off.

JacquesHammer Fri 24-Nov-17 10:51:06

One part of me felt a bit of a dick, I mean who made me the parking police

And there you have it. They're a courtesy nothing more. It is - and I know, bear with my because this is controversial - totally possible to get kids out of a car without a P&C space

ZigZagandDustin Fri 24-Nov-17 10:52:48

I only once confronted a woman, outside Dobbies, She pulled into the P&C spot directly in front of me and as I struggled from the far end of an enormous car park to the store with a bump, screaming one year old under one arm, other arm desperately clinging on to 2yr olds hood and shouting at the 4 yr old to stay close I had to pass her as she got out of her car. I was close to tears (it had been an awful morning) and just said 'you know some people do need parent and child spots for good reason'. I wasn't rude, more tearful. And she offered to move which I appreciated (but it was too late) and said 'no, no, don't worry. Just maybe keep in mind next time'.

I wouldn't usually say anything but I was glad I did that time.

Sparklingbrook Fri 24-Nov-17 10:53:13

I am going to the shops in a minute. I live to see one of these rows where someone tries to police the P&C spaces in a car park. Here's hoping...

MoistCantaloupe Fri 24-Nov-17 10:54:17

You haven't really included an AIBU; more a story time of how great you were!

You were BU though. It's just a parking space. Can't get worked up about it.

MoistCantaloupe Fri 24-Nov-17 10:56:57

Oh wait, it is AIBU to be surprised.
Yes.

1DAD2KIDS Fri 24-Nov-17 11:01:29

MoistCantaloupe is it unreasonable? what is the point of an extra wide parent and child space if its not to aid parents with children? Is it unreasonable for the supply P&C spaces to assist customers with children?

MoistCantaloupe Fri 24-Nov-17 11:03:44

No, its not unreasonable to have parent and child spaces at all, not what I said.

The unreasonable part, as you identified yourself, is you taking control and being the 'parking police'. The spaces are an extra, not a law, so you do unfortunately just sound like a bit of a dick being the one who monitors them.

RunningOutOfCharge Fri 24-Nov-17 11:05:17

Is it worth getting so riled about?

Myheartbelongsto Fri 24-Nov-17 11:06:03

I can't understand why parents are so precious about these spaces.

1DAD2KIDS Fri 24-Nov-17 11:06:13

MoistCantaloupe so is unreasonable call someone out for being anti social and depriving the people the space was intended for? I didn't even ask her to move. I guess she moved because she knew she was in the wrong?

MoistCantaloupe Fri 24-Nov-17 11:08:19

You did imply for her to move by pointing it all out though.
It's just the getting so heated about it that I can't understand.

1DAD2KIDS Fri 24-Nov-17 11:14:30

I was clear (maybe as a parent her self due to car seat in the back) that she knew she was being unreasonable as she moved. It was a surprise though that she did move. It wasn't very heated, I simply said.

afrikat Fri 24-Nov-17 11:15:27

I think you totally did the right thing and you're not a dick at all. It is rude, ignorant and thoughtless to use one of those spaces when you don't have a child with you

tinysparklyshoes Fri 24-Nov-17 11:15:44

so is unreasonable call someone out for being anti social and depriving the people the space was intended for?

It's unreasonable for you to "call someone out" (and to use that inane phrase as well) when it isn't your business.

FattyCutty Fri 24-Nov-17 11:16:32

Or maybe she moved because she thought you were unhinged and would damage her car.

paxillin Fri 24-Nov-17 11:17:59

One part of me felt a bit of a dick What can this thread possibly add to this summary?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Fri 24-Nov-17 11:20:51

I need them because I am terrible at parking. Truly, I don’t know how I ever passed my driving test.

When my children get too big to park there I might have to shop online grin

1DAD2KIDS Fri 24-Nov-17 11:22:32

tinysparklyshoes that phase does have meaning and is in very common use these days. I don't see what's inane about it?

So is it OK to park in P&C spaces with out the C and possibly not even being a P? Is it wrong to highlight when you think someone is being unreasonable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now