Talk

Advanced search

to feed my child a sandwich off the tube floor

(60 Posts)
JollyGiraffe Thu 23-Nov-17 21:06:28

I was on the tube earlier and a family with 2 children (aged around 7-9) were sitting next to me.

Mum got out a bag of sandwiches (ham and cheese) and gave one to the younger child, who was messing around and being silly and dropped the sandwich on the floor.

Oh well, no harm done, mum has a whole bag of sandwiches to replace it with! Or so I thought....

Mum picked up the sandwich, put the 2 halves back together and handed it back to the child who started eating it sad

I know I'm strict about hygiene, but surely this is disgusting...or totally normal? Who knows what's been on that tube floor... blush

FYI, the sandwich landed filling side down and was there for about 7 seconds, if that helps you decide.

MrsJamin Thu 23-Nov-17 21:07:26

Yuck!

Ummmmgogo Thu 23-Nov-17 21:09:03

it's a bit gross but won't do any harm.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Thu 23-Nov-17 21:09:12

She may not have been able to provide anything else OP.

Some people are very poor.

glow1984 Thu 23-Nov-17 21:10:33

No way would I have given that to a kid. They once took samples from the seats and even found semen. FROM THE SEATS!!!! 🤢

eurochick Thu 23-Nov-17 21:11:10

Euw!

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Thu 23-Nov-17 21:11:38

Well in some families it's the 3 second rule, in some it's the 5 second rule I've even heard the ten second rule.

However that's in places that are not over populated and cleaned regularly home and even pushing it work or school.

Never ever outside, who knows what the feet have trod in. And er never on public transport jeez yuck

AfterSchoolWorry Thu 23-Nov-17 21:12:04

That's gross.

And I eat sesame seeds that I find in the couch.

DullAndOld Thu 23-Nov-17 21:12:20

OK that is truly gross.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 23-Nov-17 21:13:35

Which line? Northern, possibly Picadilly I'd say no. They're really manky.

W&C, sure. Victoria - probably.

Nomoresugar Thu 23-Nov-17 21:14:08

Haha, the kid will be OK.

katiethekittenfreddythefrog Thu 23-Nov-17 21:14:24

I would (and do) do this in my own home and probably in someone else's home that I knew was clean like my parents or ILs. Toddler DS frequently launches food on floors which gets put back on her plate. I don't have outdoor shoes on in my home though.

But not on a tube. Yuck yuck yuck!

Bubblebubblepop Thu 23-Nov-17 21:14:42

That's fucking disgusting. THE TUBE?!?

Itchytights Thu 23-Nov-17 21:16:52

Eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

That's just fucking vile shock

JollyGiraffe Thu 23-Nov-17 21:16:59

Zebra it was indeed the Piccadilly line! grin

They were on their way to the theatre and a restaurant for dinner, so not sure they were too strapped for cash! And mum's bag of sandwiches was far too big to be shared between a family of 4!

MarthaArthur Thu 23-Nov-17 21:17:14

That is disgusting and could cause the child to get sick. I watched a documentary a couple months ago and the guy put the tube train into a massive vaccume and it sucked all the dirt out and he showed all the bins full of dust dirt human skin hair etc.

Passmethecrisps Thu 23-Nov-17 21:17:32

It is grim. Really really grim. But surely she must have had good reason to do that. I am glad I’m not her

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Thu 23-Nov-17 21:20:53

The five second rule relates to a relatively clean kitchen floor in your own kitchen hmm. The fucking Tube?? I feel I need a shower after just travelling on the bloody thing, ever mind eating off the floor.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Thu 23-Nov-17 21:22:02

One tube line is not distinctly less germy than another, Zebra.

AnotherDunroamin Thu 23-Nov-17 21:23:48

Grim. I live in London and used to get about 7 or 8 colds / other bugs a year (admittedly I have a pretty crap immune system).
For about the last 18 months I've been religious about washing my hands really well as soon as possible after getting off the tube and I've cut my sickness rate down to about 1/2 of what it was. Those trains are teeming with all sorts of bacteria and viruses.

JollyGiraffe Thu 23-Nov-17 21:24:17

greyhound, I think it was just a lighthearted comment. The newer lines do often seem cleaner (newer trains). I don't think it's a judgement on people living on those lines (I hope not anyway)

TheSpottedZebra Thu 23-Nov-17 21:24:30

Zebra it was indeed the Piccadilly line!

Ha. Then she's a scummer.

LaurieMarlow Thu 23-Nov-17 21:25:13

Ooh it definitely is lama. Compare the filthy Piccadilly with the much more acceptable jubilee.

Efferlunt Thu 23-Nov-17 21:25:38

Ewwww the tube is really minging there is no way that’s okay.

Ansumpasty Thu 23-Nov-17 21:26:17

Not a chance, I don't even let my poor kids have a toy back if they drop it on the train until I've wiped it confused
If it fell on the floor in a forest etc then I wouldn't care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now