Talk

Advanced search

To be panicking about this driving mistake I made?

(27 Posts)
BriechonCheese Thu 23-Nov-17 16:31:40

There is no excuse for this, it cannot be undone.
I drove up to a traffic light cross road and was about to turn right. I slowed right down and was about to sit in the middle/point of turn when the person turning left/going straight on at the other side of the road just sat there - I assume now, thinking about it they had probably stalled/were distracted. I just kept on going and as I did they moved to go too. So we sort of had a battle of me having to go through because I had gone too far at that point.

I have no idea why I did that, I feel sick thinking about it. It was so dangerous I am generally an anxious but considered driver I don't know WHAT I was thinking.
What's the likelihood of the police getting in contact?

specialsubject Thu 23-Nov-17 16:33:48

Given there was no collision - zero.

Don't worry.

Gizlotsmum Thu 23-Nov-17 16:33:53

If you didn’t qctually make contact I would imagine they swore at you then forgot about it!

EllaHen Thu 23-Nov-17 16:35:10

This happened to me last week. Person who had right of way just sat there so I turned right. Granted they stayed put but me waiting would have held up all the traffic behind me.

There was no accident so why would police get involved?

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Thu 23-Nov-17 16:36:17

Okay thank you.
I feel terrible about it, we weren't close to colliding, it's a large junction and we were going very slow. We were probably 5-7m at closest.

I feel terrible, just terrible. I can't stop thinking about how scared I would have been in that situation.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Thu 23-Nov-17 16:37:07

Ella
I saw a post on here where someone got a letter about "dangerous driving" from the police. So I didn't know if it could be something like that.

custardy Thu 23-Nov-17 16:40:07

I don't think you did anything wrong tbh. Nobody got hurt, no property damaged. You're worrying about something that plenty of people would just think "whoops, buggered that one up!" The worst that COULD have happened would probably be some scraped paint anyway. Which is no big deal in the grand scheme of things. smile

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Thu 23-Nov-17 16:46:35

Thank you all. I think it's panicked me and I needed some reassurance.
I've fixated on it all afternoon now.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Thu 23-Nov-17 16:46:59

Haha name change fail!

amicissimma Thu 23-Nov-17 16:49:11

There are 37.5 million cars registered on UK's roads. There will be many more drivers than that. Of those drivers probably about 3 have never made a mistake (and something tells me they will all be MNers grin).

If the police went after every driver who made a mistake they'd be busy indeed. Even if your mistake was recorded, a letter or a fine is not the end of the world. Many people have points on their licences and carry on driving around.

It takes two to have an accident: one to make a mistake and one not to avoid it. This time you made a mistake, next time you will have to avoid someone else's, which is scary. The main thing is to keep calm enough not to make another mistake because you are distracted by the first one.

One mistake does not a bad driver make. There was no accident. Deep breath and carry on, OP.

RatRolyPoly Thu 23-Nov-17 16:50:51

Oh gosh, I know exactly how you feel; I did something much worse a couple of weeks ago!

Driving along a dual carriageway up to a crossroads with another dual. So the road splits into lots of lanes and traffic lights at the junction, and I want to go straight on. I approach and traffic is queuing in my lane, so although I can't see the lights I know they're red. The lane to my right is empty so I move over, glance up to the lights on my right and see amber so accelerate on through the junction.

On the other side I look in my rear view mirror - no-one's coming hmm Half a minute later, they're still not moving confused And it dawns on me, I've just driven through a red light at a busy high-speed junction, just driven right through it!

The light I saw that was amber will have been the left hand light of a completely different set which control the slip lane turning right onto the adjoining dual carriageway.

Honestly, I swear I'm usually a good driver, I drive that road every day and even surveyed it for work FFS - I know it like the back of my hand! My heart was pounding for a week after, I can't believe what I did.

RatRolyPoly Thu 23-Nov-17 16:52:19

The light did go amber to green incidentally, I wasn't going so fast that I didn't wait to see green.

Mia1415 Thu 23-Nov-17 16:56:06

Don't let it get to you OP. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. No harm was done and you learnt from it.

aintnothinbutagstring Thu 23-Nov-17 16:57:34

These things happen, you took what you thought was an opportunity and it went a bit tits up! Those things happening are par for the course in our city and probably more people doing it deliberately than accidently (its a dog eat dog world! No place for hesitant drivers).

HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Thu 23-Nov-17 16:57:45

People make mistakes every day on the road. A few weeks after I passed a test I ran a red light and felt sick even though Nothing happened, no cameras, I didn't hit anyone. Try not to worry too much about it, we've all been there.

DownstairsMixUp Thu 23-Nov-17 17:00:18

I wouldn't worry. Despite what mumsnet says, none of us are perfect drivers and we've all made mistakes at some point smile

aintnothinbutagstring Thu 23-Nov-17 17:00:43

I've had something similar where I started to move through a keep clear box when lights went green and someone turned right through the keep clear box, it was a bit of a shock but then again maybe I should have seen them in my peripheral vision but was looking too much at the road ahead.

Llanali Thu 23-Nov-17 17:36:40

I drive several hundred miles a day.

Today, I’ve had someone pull out on top
Of me on the a1, someone driving at 35 mph in the middle lane of the m25 and someone turn right at a no right turn in front of me.

Situation normal. I’ve had to really think to remember the above; I can’t recall what yesterday’s drivers did...... there was definitely a car park rage incident in one of the work sites.

Th other driver won’t remember, you were both slow and meters away- why would they be so scared? It’s a mistake. It happens, have a cuppa and move on.

TDHManchester Thu 23-Nov-17 17:40:07

No crash? No problem,,happy days !

LemonShark Thu 23-Nov-17 17:41:41

I'm sorry I don't think I understand your description, why would the other driver have been at all scared?

RatRolyPoly Thu 23-Nov-17 17:42:00

No crash? No problem

I entirely subscribe to this point of view!

socialmisfit Thu 23-Nov-17 17:46:03

A year or so ago I was driving along and I'd overtaken a cyclist. I got to a set of lights and stopped. I could see the cyclist coming up and thought come on lights, please change so he doesn't get in front of me again. The car in front of me moved, so I went too. The lights were still red! I wanted the ground to swallow me up. OK, I'd followed the car in front who had also gone on red, but I felt a complete idiot. And all because I was taking more notice of my wing mirror than what was going on in front of me.

On the other hand a few years ago I was leaving the local leisure centre which has an entrance and an exit , both well marked. As I was leaving by the exit, someone tried to come in. The guy said oi I've got right of way and I said how can you have right of way when you're coming in at the exit which says, exit-only? He refused to accept he was wrong! And another time I was going into the station and someone told me I was going in at the exit and I definitely wasn't. I'd lived there about 10 years at the time! So everyone can be an idiot. It's fine if it doesn't cause an accident.

OlennasWimple Thu 23-Nov-17 17:55:43

We all have near misses from time to time

(If you think you haven't had a near miss, you were so oblivious that you were the cause of the problem)

lljkk Thu 23-Nov-17 17:58:26

Life is full of constant near disaster misses. For everybody, every day.
Try not to fret about what's done; Fretting achieves no good.

gabsdot Thu 23-Nov-17 18:02:15

Yesterday we had some flooding near where I live I came upon a large puddle covering the whole road.
There were 3 cars on the opposite side of the road and one was half way through the puddle.
I put my foot down and drove on.
Afterwards I realized I should have waited until the other car had come through the puddle, the splashing I made probably made it more difficult for him.
I feel bad about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now