Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if this mum calling for Sleeping Beauty to be banned is going a step too far, or not?

(236 Posts)
ShatnersWig Thu 23-Nov-17 12:30:23

Don't worry, I've not linked to the Daily Fail.

metro.co.uk/2017/11/23/mother-wants-sleeping-beauty-pulled-from-school-because-it-teaches-bad-lesson-about-consent-7101539/

Is this taking things a step too far or has she got a point?

falange Thu 23-Nov-17 12:33:00

Yes it’s a step too far. It’s quite funny actually. And I couldn’t have cared less if you’d linked to the daily mail. You can read what you like.

Laiste Thu 23-Nov-17 12:33:31

Step too far I think. But I can see her point.

curlii103 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:34:13

Not far enough! As if snow white got a say either! Personally I think it's a load of rubbish. You teach your kids about consent and they understand that fairy tales are fairy tales.

Splinterz Thu 23-Nov-17 12:34:19

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5110415/Mother-demands-son-s-school-ban-Sleeping-Beauty.html - I will because it gives everyone moral out rage

She needs a dollop of reality.

Aperolspritzer123 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:37:14

Beauty and the beast is even worse! If you stay with an abusive monster long enough you’ll eventually be able to turn him into a prince. Great message!!

DesignedForLife Thu 23-Nov-17 12:37:22

SIBU for way over sexualising a quick kiss.

CanIBuffalo Thu 23-Nov-17 12:37:58

I'm not clicking but if it's because of consent issues I can see a problem that I'd discuss in a light hearted way with children - he should really have asked her first and if she was sleeping maybe he could have kissed her hand.
It's the whole having to be beautiful and white thing that riles me more.

Emlou07 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:38:00

It's getting fucking ridiculous! Everyone is offended by everything!

TrojansAreSmegheads Thu 23-Nov-17 12:38:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Goldfishshoals Thu 23-Nov-17 12:38:38

Well, in some of the original versions it's more obvious that the prince rapes the unconscious princess (she gets pregnant and only wakes after the children are born), so I think that aspect to the story is pretty central, even if modern versions clean it up by making it 'just a kiss'...

ButchyRestingFace Thu 23-Nov-17 12:39:38

It’s been a while since I read the story so my memory may be a bit shaky.

Isn’t it the case that the handsome pwince thinks whasserface Sleeping Beauty is actually dead?

And he’s so overcome with her peerless beauty that he can’t resist giving her dead body a quick peck on the lips?

Consent doesn’t come into it if she’s dead.

Necrophilia might though.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 23-Nov-17 12:40:20

In the original story the prince rapes SB and she wakes up giving birth... so maybe that's where the Mum is coming from?

<clutches at straws>

ButchyRestingFace Thu 23-Nov-17 12:40:29

Well, in some of the original versions it's more obvious that the prince rapes the unconscious princess (she gets pregnant and only wakes after the children are born),

shock

Link!!!

TheQueenOfWands Thu 23-Nov-17 12:40:34

I can see both sides.

It is a very old story. Which they've already watered down from the rather harrowing original. Originally he rapes her. They've edited that out.

But should young boys be taught that it's okay to kiss women who are in a coma? Probably not.

TrojansAreSmegheads Thu 23-Nov-17 12:42:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RJnomore1 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:42:54

"As the handsome prince took her habd in his and gave her a very polite and totally not boundary crossing handshake of the type he would have offered to any new person he met, her eyelids began to flutter open"

Hmm...

Somethingfantastic89 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:45:00

I think she has a point. Fairy tales pass on really old values and beliefs, completely irrelevant to life today: that all girls dream of being saved by a prince, that all stepmothers are evil, that physical beauty is a sure sign of inner beauty etc etc.
But to say that those beliefs are actually harmful to pass on... hmm, yeah maybe they are.

Baaaaaaaaaaaa Thu 23-Nov-17 12:46:37

Oh FFS!

ButchyRestingFace Thu 23-Nov-17 12:47:15

Oh well, I take it back. Maybe Irate of North Tyneside does have a point. 🏳️

Thanks for the link.

LoverOfCake Thu 23-Nov-17 12:47:18

Dear god. Do people really think that fairy tales teach young boys about consent and non consent? Really?

Get a fucking grip.

saoirse31 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:48:18

Crazy. Amazingly children can tell the difference bt fairy tales and not fairy tales. Otherwise how come they frequently want to visit their granny??

Fairy tales and legends are genetally great stories esp once they're not disneyised too much...

I still remember the horror of The Hungry Grass, The Little Match Girl etc.. Why would you want to not expose your children to great stories.

Fluffypinkpyjamas Thu 23-Nov-17 12:48:46

Ridiculous.

SumThucker Thu 23-Nov-17 12:50:19

As long as they're not doing the original (never heard that version confused) I can't see anything wrong with it.

BelleandBeast Thu 23-Nov-17 12:56:18

Belle kisses the beast when he's comatose. Just saying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: