Talk

Advanced search

That they could write a James Bond Villain as a woman.

(22 Posts)
Nottheduchessofcambridge Wed 22-Nov-17 20:07:47

I am watching Spectre and I was just wondering why, in this day and age, the main villain of James Bond is never a woman. I get that the books were written in a different era but if they can update the technology used in the films, surely they can have a female lead villain?

ginghambox Wed 22-Nov-17 20:13:39

They have. Elektra King in The World Is Not Enough.

MagentaRocks Wed 22-Nov-17 20:14:28

From Russia with love and the world is not enough had females as the main villain.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Wed 22-Nov-17 20:16:07

Eh? There’s been loads. And loads. Or do you just mean the very recent Bond movies?

MagentaRocks Wed 22-Nov-17 20:16:38

Some of the other novels too.

jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_female_James_Bond_villains

Shenanagins Wed 22-Nov-17 20:18:47

Grace Jones was pretty memorable.

Nottheduchessofcambridge Wed 22-Nov-17 20:19:20

Are they the main villain or the sidekick to the main villain? Like Mayday. I couldn’t think of one that was the main villain but if there are, I stand corrected and shall step off my (vodka induced) shouty step!

Nottheduchessofcambridge Wed 22-Nov-17 20:20:05

Grace Jones was memorable, my favourite bond film but just a sidekick.

MagentaRocks Wed 22-Nov-17 20:20:21

Main villain in the ones mentioned.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Wed 22-Nov-17 20:22:23

Well I’m not a Bond fan but I just seemed to remember seeing quite a few women ‘baddies’ over the years (when forced to watch a bloody Bond movie on Christmas Day grin) so I googled and there’s a fair few. Rosa Klebb in Dr No being the first I think.....

Shenanagins Wed 22-Nov-17 20:24:05

The thing is I can’t remember who grace jones was a side kick to.

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 22-Nov-17 20:25:03

Sophie Marceau plays the main baddie in one of the Bond films. Can't remember which one though.

amicissimma Wed 22-Nov-17 20:25:13

Who is 'they'? Ian Fleming died in the 1960s.

FleagleBingoDrooperSnork Wed 22-Nov-17 20:27:49

Wasn’t there a baddie called Xenia Onatopp? Played by Famke Jensen if I recall, but not sure if she was the main villain.

Nottheduchessofcambridge Wed 22-Nov-17 20:29:52

Electra King is the sidekick of Renard. I’m talking about the main main baddie. Grace Jones was sidekick to Christopher Walken. There are women baddies for sure, but they don’t seem to be the main boss/mastermind.

ginghambox Wed 22-Nov-17 20:31:17

Grace Jones played May Day in A view to a kill, Max Zorin played by Christopher Walken was the main villain.

Nottheduchessofcambridge Wed 22-Nov-17 20:31:48

Onatopp worked for Alec Trevellyan so not the main baddie.

Panicmode1 Wed 22-Nov-17 20:33:51

Wasn't Octopussy's villain female?

Nottheduchessofcambridge Wed 22-Nov-17 20:40:01

Ok just Googled it, someone has already looked into this for me. From Russia with love and the one with Elektra King are the only ones with female lead villain. 2/26 films. Ok, about to me for another one then, who would be an awesome female villain???

emma1282 Wed 22-Nov-17 20:40:21

Actually in most James Bond movies, there would be a female villain but not a primary villain character. That said, those female villains were given a powerful role that steal the show.

For instance, in The World is Not Enough, Sophie Marceau played a negative role and she was the center of attention in that movie. Then in Golden Eye, Famke Janssen played a female villain role. I am now thinking probably it was the case with Pierce Brosnan as a Bond. With Daniel Craig probably its different. May I am wrong...

Nottheduchessofcambridge Wed 22-Nov-17 20:42:10

About time. Not about to me. hmm

Nottheduchessofcambridge Wed 22-Nov-17 20:47:28

There are some strong female bad gals but I would just love it one, for once,the woman to be the whole crazy psychopath mastermind behind world domination. I am hormonal with so maybe my opinion is clouded with Amazonian type “I am woman hear me roar” tendencies toward female rule.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: