Talk

Advanced search

Do we move again?

(6 Posts)
greyhairdontcare Wed 22-Nov-17 15:46:47

Hi
Sorry if this is a long post but I'm so confused and need opinions from people not emotionally involved.
We moved 2 years ago to be closer to family/husbands work and for better secondary schools. And to move away from a tiny village where we feel we don't really fit in even after 7 years.
To cut a long story short things didn't work out financially in Surrey and we moved back to Northants after just 3 months. I think my husband panicked as we found out I was pregnant just after moving (unplanned and 10 years after the last) and he assumed we'd need a bigger house/car etc.
We moved back (our house hadn't sold in the time we were away) and the older kids are now at the local secondary school but one in particular is hating it! The school struggles to retain teachers and behaviour of the children is not great. There have been 4 new head teachers in the past 18months.
My yr 7 says he has lots of friends but he never sees them out of school. He just doesn't seem to fit in. This is the only secondary school in the area (apart from private) as it's not a heavily populated area.
My year 8 seems happy and has a couple of friends made through a football club who also go to the school.
I feel totally isolated with a toddler. It takes 20 mins in the car just to get a pint of milk and I have no real friends in the area.

Should we try to move again? We could move to the next town (not much bigger than a village) but it's where the school is and maybe they'd see friends a bit more and things would be within walking distance or so we just say what the hell and up sticks again?!! What would you do?

GeorgieBoy95 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:54:34

Can you afford to move? Do you have a mortgage?

We moved a lot over the last few years and I think we're finally home. You don't sound like you're home so if you're financially able to do then go for it..

Silverthorn Wed 22-Nov-17 15:57:44

I would move if no-one is happy. I would make sure it's not going to deeply distress any of the kids first.

Hillarious Wed 22-Nov-17 16:03:58

Certainly having school friends close by will help.

greyhairdontcare Wed 22-Nov-17 16:05:41

That's my worry silverthorn. I think unless we move to the next town (which will solve some of our problems) it may distress our eldest. so hard with kids in tow trying to do the right thing

greyhairdontcare Wed 22-Nov-17 16:13:15

It also doesn't help that I desparately miss my family in Surrey since my toddler was born. Husband's family is close by but we rarely see them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: