Talk

Advanced search

To ask my neighbour opposite to close her curtains?

(194 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Sparklyshoes16 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:42:16

Last few days we’ve noticed a bit of odd behaviour from our neighbour opposite. She sleeps with her curtains open all night and then gets undressed/dressed with them open in the morning. When she’s going to bed she’s starkers! We’ve resorted to leaving our bedroom curtains closed all day everyday as she’s been naked during the day confused

My husband opened our curtains this morning after we’d got dressed etc to find her stood staring across butt naked...husband went bright red and nearly ripped the curtains down pulling them shut...we’ve asked our neighbour next door but one if they’ve noticed ...they’ve said yes and asked her to close her curtains or put net curtains up etc she said she didn’t realise but this morning she’s starkers again! Aibu to think she should know better and at least close her curtains when getting dressed?

FriendsFriendsFriends Tue 21-Nov-17 23:44:49

She knows what she’s doing, clearly. She’s getting her kicks.
Your other neighbour asked her to close the curtains and she didn’t. So there is your answer.

BertrandRussell Tue 21-Nov-17 23:45:03

Have you considered not looking?

gamerchick Tue 21-Nov-17 23:45:22

Or you could stop peeping at her.

MontyPants Tue 21-Nov-17 23:46:10

Is this a confused old lady who has forgotten? If not, she is obviously an exhibitionist and doing it on purpose. Ask her to stop. If she doesn't, ring the police (obviously not on 999, just have a chat with your local beat team so they can have a word)

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 21-Nov-17 23:48:11

If she's suddenly started doing it, aren't you worried about her?

FriendsFriendsFriends Tue 21-Nov-17 23:48:39

Depending on the proximity of the houses/windows, they may not have any option if they wish to cast a glance out of their window. It’s hard not to look out of a window when you’re opening the curtains! If there’s a naked woman stood right there, you can’t help but see it. FFS!

GreenTulips Tue 21-Nov-17 23:50:46

She's my doing anything wrong or illegal

Whys your husband so shocked? It's only a body.

AnnieAnoniMouse Tue 21-Nov-17 23:51:39

Stop staring into her house.

Presumably you’ve both seen naked people before, stop being so ridiculous about it.

DontLetMeBeMisunderstood Tue 21-Nov-17 23:51:45

You can't ring the police because someone is naked in their own home! She might just not care whether or not you see her nude and she has every right not to.

Theresnonamesleft Tue 21-Nov-17 23:52:42

Maybe she decided to spend more time in the buff. Maybe she's got fed up with all her neighbours looking in and decided to give them something to look at.

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Tue 21-Nov-17 23:56:38

You can actually open/shut your curtains without looking across at her window, just look at the road/garden or whatever. I’ve been baked a few times in front of my window when I’ve not noticed the blind is open and I’ve got out of the bath, I’m sure no one would be re-perving on my saggy tits and hairy flange though.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 22-Nov-17 00:01:50

We had naked neighbours we could see in one of the flats across from ours back in the day. We just ignored them.

I also have a chap opposite who has a tendency to walk around at night naked. I don’t think he realises that with the lights on he is visibie to the world. We’ve also used Not Looking™️ in this scenario too. I have bought some window film to go on the bottom of the lower sashes because it’s the dc rooms facing his (and both dc seem to be always in the nip) but I haven’t got round to putting it on yet.

Landed Wed 22-Nov-17 00:02:32

We had a neighbour who we would see in the nude sometimes. Not looking is not so simple as people seem to think. We ended up keeping curtains closed but when we had visitors this wasn't good, so we ended up having to move furniture so at least they didn't catch sight of him.

Originalfoogirl Wed 22-Nov-17 00:03:00

If you don’t like it, don’t look. I doubt the window is so close you can’t look elsewhere.

It’s her house, if she wants to be naked in it, that’s her prerogative.

Allabitmuchisntit Wed 22-Nov-17 00:04:44

And if it was a man doing this....

Triskaidekaphilia Wed 22-Nov-17 00:06:24

Sorry OP I keep meaning to set myself a reminder to close them blush grin

Landed Wed 22-Nov-17 00:06:28

Oh yes and i forgot, when we pulled out if our drive in the winter we would light one room up and all would be lit up clearly for anyone to see. And before you say don't look or switch your lights off til you pass, i challenge you try it!

GreenTulips Wed 22-Nov-17 00:06:38

And if it was a man doing this....

Yep .... one near me does, only catch him of the lights are on red though .... damn those geeen lights!!

Maya12 Wed 22-Nov-17 00:10:14

What on earth is so wrong with a naked body, especially in ones own home? I assume she's not in the middle of some sexual act, but just getting dressed or otherwise going about her business?

Liiinoo Wed 22-Nov-17 00:10:15

The way you describe it it sounds as if she wants to be seen and whilst that is a bit pervy, that's her prerogative. Whilst nudity in public is an offence I don't think nudity in your own house is (if it is, I am sure someone will let us know soon). That means you have to either avert your eyes, keep,your curtains shut or put up some sort of blind/heavy net or frosted vinyl that lets light through but blurs your outlook.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Wed 22-Nov-17 00:20:58

All this "don't look" crap!

OP it's actually illegal. If it were a man standing there like that over and over again, then people would call him a flasher.

That's what she is.

I'd report her on the non emergency number. Pervy cow.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Wed 22-Nov-17 00:24:44

Just got this from the BBC

It's not an offence to be naked in public in England and Wales but it does become an offence if it can be proved the person stripped off with the intention to upset and shock. The complainant has to prove this.

So that's hard to prove and since it doesn't sound as though this woman is actively flashing herself or touching herself, might be tricky.

Personally I would put a note through her door advising her that I don't want to see her naked body and will be speaking to the police if it doesn't stop immediately.

Imalloutofoptions Wed 22-Nov-17 00:25:41

gamerchick OP is not peeping by simply looking out of her own windows?! Who expects their neighbour to be full on starkers with no curtains!

BeALert Wed 22-Nov-17 00:28:25

www.radiolab.org/story/living-room/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now