Talk

Advanced search

To not want to do a big Christmas?

(77 Posts)
TammySwansonTwo Tue 21-Nov-17 23:11:18

I love Christmas. Frankly though, it's the most exhausting day of the year if I'm hosting. Since my mum died, it's either been DSis and BIL at ours or us going to theirs. Last year our twins were tiny so they came to us and kindly did most of the cooking. This year we've decided to stay home with the twins and they want to stay in their new house - we would go to them but can't fit everything we need for the twins in the car, let alone Christmas presents too. My sister is totally fine with this.

So it will just be me and DH and the twins. I really want to enjoy it and don't want to spend the whole bloody day cooking for the two of us plus the boys who will mostly throw it on the floor. I know when they're older Christmas will be even more exhausting so this might be the last time I get to take it easy at Christmas for a long time!

I don't want to totally forego a good Christmas dinner though - how can I do a mini version that requires less time? Any tips greatly appreciated.

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Nov-17 23:14:02

It's just a roast dinner!
I will do a turkey breast thing. In foil tray. Shove in oven.
Get prepared veg if you want.
Store bought dessert.

MsHarveySpecter Tue 21-Nov-17 23:14:26

How old are your twins? If under 3 feed them whatever is normal.
Do nice supper for your and dh
Relax!

QuopQuop Tue 21-Nov-17 23:17:01

Get a set meal!

Cook
M&s
Etc do them.

Put all in oven and throw away all trays (no washing up)

Wahhhhhhhlaaaaaaaa

AuntieBeast Tue 21-Nov-17 23:17:08

Not at all unreasonable. You'll probably have a much more relaxed and enjoyable holiday!

Just do a simple version of whatever you normally crave at Christmas. Don't blow it by taking on too much!

dancinfeet Tue 21-Nov-17 23:24:03

I was a single mum of two for many years, so I used to be trying to entertain the kids / open the packaging on new toys etc whilst cooking. I saved time by cooking a roast from frozen turkey crown which needed less attention than a whole turkey, and lots of pre-prepared stuff. The kids were too young to notice if it was lovingly hand prepared or from the Tesco made earlier stuff. Not having to peel carrots and potatoes etc meant that I could chuck everything in at the relevant times and leave it, which meant more time with my children. Now my children are older I tend to spend a bit more time prepping, but I don't spend all day in the kitchen, and still buy a turkey crown!

GlitterGlassEye Tue 21-Nov-17 23:29:19

I’ve spent far too many xmas’s getting all dressed up and kids organised to go to familys house for a 5 course dinner when they want to play with their toys. After dc3 was born, I couldn’t care less. I’m used making a roast most weekends so now it is basically a fancier version (big turkey and lots of nibbles that can get thrown in the oven) with a few more people invited if I want and I’m comfy in my own home with my jammies on if I want to. Crap telly on. Bliss.

mumisnotmyname Tue 21-Nov-17 23:31:24

Pick the couple of things that you really care about, for me it is bread and cranberry sauce, hand make these in advance, freeze and reheat. Buy everything else pre made. Use tinfoil trays for everything, you can put them through the the dishwasher and recycle if you feel bad (I know, I have done this). But nice Xmas paper plates if you want, a paper table cloth (you can get ones DC can colour on). Buy wine. You are sorted. If DC have a couple of big boxes that can play in they will be happy.

mumisnotmyname Tue 21-Nov-17 23:33:02

Goodness sake, typing was awful however I am sure you get the gist.

pinkpantherpink Tue 21-Nov-17 23:36:05

The other year I ordered practically everything from M&S. All pre-prepared. Easy. Few pounds more but no waste and less stress.

GreenTulips Tue 21-Nov-17 23:39:10

Tray turkey
Frozen veg
Frozen pigs in blankets
Frozen yoorshire puddings
Bread sauce mix
Decent timer
Job done

(Please stop referring to them as 'the twins' I find it offensive)

Giraffey1 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:41:12

It’s only a roast dinner, don’t stress. You can have what you like, when you like and please yourselves!

user1497997754 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:44:17

This year just me and DH and 2 dogs going to do salmon, new potatoes, green beans, carrots, parsley sauce. Easy

GlitterGlassEye Tue 21-Nov-17 23:52:55

What’s offensive about “the twins”?

GreenTulips Wed 22-Nov-17 00:01:51

Because they aren't a set or a pair, they have their own names, personalities and differences

You don't refer to 'Emma' as 'the singleton do you? She has a name

But 'The twins' suggest the same, no differences, not worthy of their names

Just annoys me!!! I have DS1 and DD2 who have names!!! And don't get me started on the 'lastname twins' at school!!!! Rude

mumisnotmyname Wed 22-Nov-17 00:17:17

They will be a pair, I describe mine as a bogof. Of course they will be different but they are also going to be twins. This is an anonymous site so she can't refer to them in any meaniful way. In real life if your family or friends will not give your children any separate identity I can see it would get grating but here it makes sense.

KC225 Wed 22-Nov-17 00:45:10

I have twins. I don't see how describing as twins is any different from saying the kids or DC. It is certainly not offensive. The OP will be quite familiar with their names.

OP some great tips on here. Buy prepared, take short cuts, freeze ahead of the day. Don't bother getting dressed.

On the Christmas thread, there are posts about what you can get organised prior to the day.

I’m quite sure she can refer to her own children as The Twins if she wants to, and it’s knack all to do with you.

oldlaundbooth Wed 22-Nov-17 01:01:03

What are you getting the twins for Christmas op?

tealandteal Wed 22-Nov-17 02:16:52

I buy a boned, rolled and stuffed turkey, only takes an hour! Potatoes peeled the night before and any fancy veg you fancy from m&s plus a pudding bought or pre-prepared and in the fridge. Make it your day, choose your favourite traditions from you and your DH childhoods

BabsGangoush Wed 22-Nov-17 04:19:55

Should she call them Dave and Barry and out herself

Jenijena Wed 22-Nov-17 04:27:02

Last year, on DS1 (4 yo) request, we had lasagne. I made it the day before, him and the then eight month old were happy.

Buy nibbly bits if you want, but no point killing yourself on something else. It’s ususlly just immediate family 3/4 of us and frankly I prefer it though this year going to the ils.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Wed 22-Nov-17 06:12:12

Saying "the twins" is no different than saying "The kids"

speakout Wed 22-Nov-17 06:19:03

When our kids were young we often had an Indian Takeaway.
The kids loved it and so did we.
I simply set the table complete with crackers, warmed the plates and OH would pop out to our favourite Indian.
Only plates to wash up afterwards, no cooking.

There are no rules to say what you have to eat on christmas day.
Do whatever will make your life easy and you will enjoy- whether that's grazing on cold buffet style food all day, or a large lasagne cooked the day before.

It's silly to stress over feeling a certain meal should be cooked simply for the sake of it.
I am sure your children would prefer a simpler meal and relaxed parents.

IdaDown Wed 22-Nov-17 06:19:43

www.rivercottage.net/recipes/chicken-and-mushroom-casserole-with-cider

What about a casserole?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now