Talk

Advanced search

Fucking migraines

(109 Posts)
mikado1 Tue 21-Nov-17 13:24:32

Floaters and pain sat, floaters, pain and pins and needles in face Sun, just floaters and nausea yesterday and now out of the blue, thinking I was recovered, more pain and floaters. Can only take migrelief once in 24 hrs and nurofen doing nothing. I just hate them. Does anyone do anything else to help? It was months and months since I got one but now I've had two lasting a few days in 3m. I hate them!!!

tiredbutFINE Tue 21-Nov-17 13:36:26

Three aspirin if you can take them. Much better than paracetamol or ibuprofen.

tiredbutFINE Tue 21-Nov-17 13:37:41

Migralive can give me the “headache hangover” I tried a few prescription ones from the GP and ditched migralieve to be honest.

mirime Tue 21-Nov-17 13:42:02

Apart from a pinch of bicarb in water to sort out visual disturbances, it's just painkillers and sleep for me.

They really are shit things to have though.

ijustwannadance Tue 21-Nov-17 13:44:59

Cold full sugar coke and painkillers.
Cold cloth on head.

When was last eye test?

whateveryousay Tue 21-Nov-17 13:45:27

Aspirin works better for me than the triptans I get on prescription. I’ve just started topiramate daily, as a preventative measure, which so far seems to be working, so maybe go down a preventative route moving forward?

ShirleyPhallus Tue 21-Nov-17 13:45:29

Have you tried three soluble aspirin and a full fat coke?

NinonDeLenclos Tue 21-Nov-17 13:46:34

Migraleve pink you can only take once in 24 hours, Migraleve yellow you take every 4 hours.

Aspirin can make you nauseous.

Have you tried prescribed migraine relief like Triptans OP?

nocake Tue 21-Nov-17 13:47:39

Paracetamol rather than ibuprofen... but even better are prescription only drugs. I have a painkiller that's combined with an anti-emetic and a triptan. Go to see your GP.

imelda3 Tue 21-Nov-17 13:48:05

Paramol, Tiger Balm and water. I also import the original formula Syndol from South Africa at ridiculous vast expense but they do knock you out at night. I feel your pain

slowsloth Tue 21-Nov-17 13:48:28

Sleep is the only thing that’s ever really helped me kick a migraine.

If you’ve not already done so then I’d advise looking on the migraine trust website. It has a whole section on preventative treatments. I reduced the frequency of mine by loads by taking a huge amount of magnesium everyday. The neurologist I was referred to advised me to go down the supplement route after I’d reacted badly to a few of the preventative tablets he gave me. For me prevention was better than a cure once it’s already kicked in.

PinkHeart5914 Tue 21-Nov-17 13:48:33

I do suffer with them from time to time

I take the nurofen migraine relief
Cold flannel
Sleep
Dark or darkish room if you can ( if I’ve got the dc I normally at least have the blinds closed while they play so it’s not so light)
I find a cup of coffee or some full sugar Coca Cola can help too

Other than that, not much you can do sorry

MaximaDeWit Tue 21-Nov-17 13:51:07

Three x 300mg asprin.

I took daily preventative stuff for a while and now have a melt thing that seems to help. Both on prescription.

mikado1 Tue 21-Nov-17 14:07:09

At home with 2dc, no car and lashing, can't get out for the coke tho i know it's effective. Ok will add paracetamol to nurofen, have no aspirin. It's not ful force so hopefully will hold it off. Gave up processed sugar two weeks ago, wonder if thats doing something. Interested re magnesium.

ShirleyPhallus Tue 21-Nov-17 14:18:11

Gave up processed sugar two weeks ago, wonder if thats doing something

Absolutely - this is likely to be withdrawal symptoms

EmilyChambers79 Tue 21-Nov-17 14:25:45

I find a cold pack at the base of my neck helps, as lying with a blackout eye mask on and sulphadene

toolonglurking Tue 21-Nov-17 14:33:27

A banana and a bottle of original, non fizzy, lucozade (I know it's the devils piss but it knocks them right out for me).
I feel your pain though, it's utterly miserable!

Fortysix Tue 21-Nov-17 14:33:38

Good work on the processed sugar. That's what cured me after 25 years and an increase in my fitness. Took abut three or four weeks so hang on in there. Down from 8 Elitriptan tablets a month to just one every 2 months. Stay strong. Drink water or fizzy water if no coke.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Tue 21-Nov-17 14:35:29

Imigran nasal spray.
I have had migraine for 30 years and it's the only thing that actually works.
And works well.
Prescription only.

Thishatisnotmine Tue 21-Nov-17 15:25:25

Try a cup of coffee, has the same effect as triptans although might not work this far into a migraine. Ibruprofen, sumatriptan and sleep are the only things that help me.

pixelated Tue 21-Nov-17 16:32:07

Can I ask why some prefer paracetamol or asprin to ibuprofen? I've always had migraines though they're now occurring with increasing frequency and severity. I've been taking ibuprofen and a small cup of coffee and that seems to help. I can't take migraleve because it contains codeine and I'm allergic to it sad

Thanks for the link to the migraine trust slowsloth, I'm just looking at it now.

Sorry you're suffering so much with this OP.

socialmisfit Tue 21-Nov-17 16:35:27

Paracetamol does nothing for my migrainey-type headaches. It only works for me for headaches caused by colds.

Ibuprofen doesn't really work either, though if I take it in conjunction with drinking cola it does the trick. I also have a magnesium roller thing that i roll over my forehead which helps to get rid of sickness.

TheWhyteRoseShallRiseAgain Tue 21-Nov-17 16:40:00

argh wish I knew 200mg topirimate and 16mg candesartan daily, 12 almotriptan a month combined with 600mg ibuprofen and metoclopramide for the nausea for abortives and I still have migraines and cluster headache almost daily angry

Wormulonian Tue 21-Nov-17 16:46:48

Go and see the GP and get some sumitriptan to take as soon as one starts. They can also give you better painkillers such as naproxen and anti sickness pilss if that is how you want to go. You could also try a magnesium supplement - ask GP about dosage - to be effective it usually needs to be quite large.

Dustysparrow Tue 21-Nov-17 16:56:51

A friend of mine who has suffered cluster migraines all her life now has an injection in her neck about 4 times a year which keeps her pain free for a few months til it wears off. I think they botox a vein in her neck or something similar. She has to get this done privately as it's not on the nhs and costs her a couple of hundred quid a time but it is worth it as she is now mostly pain free.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: