Talk

Advanced search

To be sad to say goodbye to my beloved old Mini?

(49 Posts)
NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:35:04

I'm 9w2d pregnant with my second, and am very excited at the prospect of (hopefully) having my dream of a sibling for my DD - I've waited nearly 7 years for this, and have had a lot of sadness over the past few years so it is really nice to have some happiness.

My DH and I are looking at replacing my 13-year old Mini One with a more family friendly car for a baby and my DD. I absolutely love my car to bits, and after driving a new Mini Cooper S this week while my car is being repaired, it has made me feel dissatisfied with the thought of having a car for 'family' purposes.

Realistically, I know I have to cut my cloth, and having a family means sacrificing nice things like prestige cars etc. Our budget will be pretty low - £5k - and I know I'm never going to to be able to afford anything like a Mini, on a par with its build / performance etc.

Please tell me AIBU to want to drive something as good as a MIni? - I've clung onto this car for years while my daughter was small and now I've got to be realistic and get rid of the car for something I'd give anything to have; another child.

I am thinking this is such a first world problem too - please tell me to get a grip a bit...

splendidisolation Tue 21-Nov-17 11:38:17

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

Keep your mini. Fuck it, you can make it work.

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:40:41

Lol! Thank you! I guess you're saying what I want to hear - but it is just SO small in the back and the boot is practically non-existant. It is literally a single person's car, and there's no way I could realistically take everything unless I just had a car seat for the baby, my DD and a changing bag. That would be it..! grin

But as you say, I could just say 'sod it' and keep the car... it's not as though I drive very far that often in it...hmm

sausagerollsrock Tue 21-Nov-17 11:43:25

I'm sure you could continue with the mini, my friend has 2 children in a Suzuki alto. It's tiny.
And besides if you really have to get a new car there are loads of lovely cars other than minis.

viques Tue 21-Nov-17 11:46:28

It's sad to say goodbye to an old friend. I scrapped my last car, was not happy selling on as I had had a small rear shunt, it drove fine, but would not have wanted to pass on any problems, anyway, when the scrapper came to pick it up the first thing he did was smash the front and back windows in order to grab it on to the lorry. I was not expecting the rush of sadness I felt at watching my old car being abused.

But the new mini coopers are lovely. I have always had a weak spot for them since a long ago boyfriend who went rallying.

splendidisolation Tue 21-Nov-17 11:47:27

"unless I just had a car seat for the baby, my DD and a changing bag."

Well there you go then!

My mum had an old mini and it was her and us three preteen kids in it. She managed. We all loved that car. Although we must have looked like a comedy.

As very small children she took us around by bus which Im sure was a pain in the arse but obviously doable, women have been doing without big cars since forever.

Keep the mini! Have your baby and the mini and be happy after so much turmoil. Good luck!

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:47:33

There are lots of other lovely cars, I agree. I think I've been a bit too attached to it, and don't want to say goodbye! grin

I do know people who make do with small cars. If I do keep it, I guess it is a case of figuring out how to fit everything in the boot, but I guess babies are pretty portable when they are little.

FaintlyBaffled Tue 21-Nov-17 11:50:10

We've recently bitten the bullet and got rid of our last ancient, leaky, costly, smelly Land Rover. The replacement is a soulless but practical Skoda which costs a fraction in fuel, sailed through its MOT without even an advisory (I've not had a car do that in all my years of owning LR's grin) and doesn't piss water all over my knees when I go round a corner.
Logically the Skoda is the sensible and grown up option for us but it's just no fun <stamps foot>
OTOH a car that is too small for your needs becomes a millstone around your neck so you need to weigh up realistically how often you would use it as a family and if you have access to a bigger car (does DH have a car for example?)
I would keep the car (assuming you could fit a newborn baby seat in it) but then I'm a stubborn and impractical bitch (see years of Land Rover owning above grin)

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:50:35

splendid wow, three children in an old Mini? That must have been a sight... grin That will be me in a few years!

I might have to persaude DH to keep the Mini - he is the one saying I should get rid... hmm

Neverender Tue 21-Nov-17 11:52:22

Can you look at a Clubman? They’re bigger!

splendidisolation Tue 21-Nov-17 11:53:19

Think about how happy you're going to be with a new baby and your beloved mini!

We had a hilarious time in that little mini. Memories of my knees around my ears as Mum bombed around with pink floyd blaring out the speakers and fag ash everywhere. Them were the days.

She sold it last year and was heartbroken. She had to sell it because work meant driving on the motorway and the mini was so old she didnt feel safe next to all the massive modern cars. It was sad.

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:53:43

Faintly Yes, souless but practical - that is what DOESN'T appeal about other cars. They just aren't as fun to drive, albeit a lot more practical but then why have that when you only live once!

I had a Fiat Punto before my Mini and it was dire - it practically went on two wheels going around corners, and the handling was dreadful. I wouldn't be happy giving up my car that drives brilliantly for something with a bit more room but has all the excitement and handling of a slug...

peachgreen Tue 21-Nov-17 11:55:22

Gosh, I'd give anything to be able to afford to replace our car (which was the best we could afford at the time we bought it and while not completely unworkable, isn't very family-friendly OR reliable) with something - ANYTHING - else!

You're in a pretty privileged position, OP - focus on that and enjoy your pregnancy, which will hopefully bring you way more joy than any car. smile

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:55:41

splendid yes, I would be ecstatic with both baby and Mini... two things I love the most in the world together! Ha ha!

Now you've put that idea in my head, I'm even more reluctant to say goodbye! Mini Clubmans are bigger but I'm not sure I could get one of a decent age for that price.

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:56:56

peach yes, I know I am in a privileged position... you have reminded me to practice my gratitude for today. Thank you flowers

splendidisolation Tue 21-Nov-17 11:57:12

Go on, you know you want to! It'll be a pain but also a laugh.

Anyway, be sure to update us on what you do x

FaintlyBaffled Tue 21-Nov-17 11:59:22

Ah well, if it's DH's decision then I would do this,
Be adamant that you don't want to sell (I guess you've already gone that anyway)
Agree that you will reconsider once the baby is here if the situation does indeed turn out to be untenable (because if it is then you can back down gracefully without being told that DH was right all along!)
Look at other cars if he mentions it but make no efforts otherwise
Research thoroughly how pushchair/ car seat/ luggage etc will fit
Find out how much it would be to hire a car for long trips eg to visit family.
That way you've got all your bases covered and have been totally and utterly reasonable with it grin

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:59:48

Thank you spendid - I will! I just have to get to my 12-week scan in less than a month to be happy things are progressing well! (I still can't believe I'm pregnant! My dear departed brother who passed away this year must be looking down smiling and wanting me to be happy) smile

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 12:00:51

Faintly Fab plan - I will consider your idea! grin

ConfusedLivingDoll Tue 21-Nov-17 12:00:56

I've a Suzuki Swift Sport, 3 Dr, 1.6 vvti and have a DS (old enough to only need booster seat now, though). Small car, with good economy, but also great performance. I like to have a small car for parking and manoeuvrability, but I'd hate to struggle with a small engine. I'd stick with the mini, unless it proves too small to your needs. Only time can tell and babies don't need that much stuff. Don't get a tank of a pram, like a huge silver cross, and you'll be fine! I loved, loved, loved my Nuna Pepp. Had many others (pramaholic), but that was the best to push, sturdy and compact.

There are used, larger minis for sale around the price of 5000, if you want a larger car, but I'd stick with your old one. It might, and is likely to, be completely fine. Unless you have tons of hobbies requiring lots of bulky kit or own a farm, etc. You won't need a large car. Also, if you live in a town/city, the parking will be harder!

splendidisolation Tue 21-Nov-17 12:02:30

@FaintlyBaffled

Before the mini my mum had an ancient jeep, she was a woman of extremes. Also great fun!

wonkylegs Tue 21-Nov-17 12:04:21

It's really sad to say goodbye to a car you love - I'm doing that now. My lovely 13yo Yaris has been a dream to own but now we have 2 kids it was getting a bit too much of a squeeze. My new hybrid VWGolf arrived yesterday and I now need to sell my old one but I don't really want to let it go.
The new one is shiny and fancy but I still have heartfelt love for the car that has been so reliable and cheap to own and so brilliant even though it's tiny.
Don't dismiss a small car with a baby it can be done I managed for 8years of child with mine, it's only been tight since I've had a growing big child (with guitar/ school crap) and a toddler (pram etc)

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 12:04:35

Confused can a Nuna Pepp be used from birth? We have a Mamas and Papas Urbo which we would need to replace the frame for, we bought it years ago as it was the only one that would fit in the boot!

I guess we could sell it if necessary then use something like a Nuna after a while...

NooNooHead1981 Tue 21-Nov-17 12:06:46

wonky (love the name btw!) yes, it is so hard! Modern cars are amazing but I still love my retro Mini with its cassette player and its easy to park manoeuvrability!

I managed for nearly 7 years with my DD, I guess there is no reason to see why I couldn't do it again...

ConfusedLivingDoll Tue 21-Nov-17 12:06:56

Yes, can be used from birth! The new version I think now can also parent face. I heartily recommend. Tested so many others only to find the perfect one when DS was already 3!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now