Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that animals can feel fear and pain.

(52 Posts)
DJBaggySmalls Mon 20-Nov-17 20:12:48

MP's just voted that they are not sentient, and cannot feel emotions or pain.

''British Veterinary Association Senior Vice President Gudrun Ravetz said: "It is extremely concerning a marginal majority of MPs have voted down this seminal clause.''
"...this action undermines the Government’s previous promises the UK will continue to be known for our high standards of animal health and welfare post-Brexit.''

www.plantbasednews.org/post/mps-reject-efforts-eu-animal-sentience-clause-uk-law

BeetrootTart Mon 20-Nov-17 20:15:22

Frankly, I'd argue that MPs aren't sentient beings and cannot feel emotions or pain.

Mulberry72 Mon 20-Nov-17 20:16:12

^^ what Beetroot said....

averylongtimeago Mon 20-Nov-17 20:17:37

By saying animals can't feel pain, they are opening the way to approve the most vile and explorative treatment of farm animals - you think battery chickens are bad? Just you wait.

sailorcherries Mon 20-Nov-17 20:18:07

It is one of the reasons I went vegan. They are sentient beings and they can feel. Christ you just have to look at some dogs and cats who have been mistreates by humans to know they know and feel fear.

ditzychick34 Mon 20-Nov-17 20:18:17

Oh ffs that's ridiculous

MsJudgemental Mon 20-Nov-17 20:18:51

What beetroot said.

Soubriquet Mon 20-Nov-17 20:19:33

Of course they can!

They can even feel empathy and grief.

Look at elephants for an example. They will mourn their deceased and will even stop at the same place every year to pay their respects

FuzzyCustard Mon 20-Nov-17 20:20:16

Of course they can. Bastard MPs.

PoisonousSmurf Mon 20-Nov-17 20:21:17

MPs are vile. They must have taken a backhander from farmer lobby groups...

Laura25o6 Mon 20-Nov-17 20:21:24

All living creatures feel pain. What a silly question.

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 20-Nov-17 20:22:11

Of course they bloody can.

Anyone that thinks otherwise is fucking thick. This descision has made me so angry.

Kursk Mon 20-Nov-17 20:23:04

After watching a deer get hit by a car then being shot and put out of its suffering I can say for sure they definitely have feeling and emotion.

It’s in my freezer now, at least in death will not be waisted.

snash12 Mon 20-Nov-17 20:23:52

I just can’t believe this. It just proves that literally everything out of these MP’s mouth is utter fantasy.

Saying an animal doesn’t feel pain is like saying rain doesn’t contain water.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 20-Nov-17 20:24:08

Of course they can, it’s horrendous. averylongtime the treatment of most animals in farms is already vile. Pigs are treated particularly badly, especially as they are as intelligent as 3 year old children.

TheQueenOfWands Mon 20-Nov-17 20:24:20

The world is ending, isn't it?

Everything feels very bleak.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Mon 20-Nov-17 20:25:40

Of course they can. The MPs know they can too, it just suits their pockets to vote otherwise. This isn’t about facts or common sense, it’s politics.

EvilDoctorBallerinaRoastDuck Mon 20-Nov-17 20:27:56

They're a bunch of pricks.

kaytee87 Mon 20-Nov-17 20:28:18

I haven’t gone through the link but I’m amazed it’s up to MPs to decide something that should surely be up to scientists or zoologists.

nooka Mon 20-Nov-17 20:28:32

I think you are being deliberately inflammatory OP. MPs did not vote on whether animals can feel emotions or pain. According to your link a motion that the following words from a EU treaty are transferred into domestic law failed to pass:

"In formulating and implementing the Union's agriculture, fisheries, transport, internal market, research and technological development and space policies, the Union and the Member States shall, since animals are sentient beings, pay full regard to the welfare requirements of animals, while respecting the legislative or administrative provisions and customs of the Member States relating in particular to religious rites, cultural traditions and regional heritage."

There are going to be a great many similar motions in the next few months as a number of EU obligations will cease to apply post Brexit. I imagine that the split on this vote (313 vs 295) has more to do with attitudes towards Europe, sovereignty etc than animal welfare, which is sad but not really that surprising in the current political climate.

HermioneKipper Mon 20-Nov-17 20:28:52

Absolute shower of a-holes

Julie8008 Mon 20-Nov-17 20:29:01

The vote wasn't about whether or not animals felt fear and pain. It was about recognizing animals in law as sentient beings. And it is not at all obvious that domestic animals are able to perceive themselves the way a human can.

kaytee87 Mon 20-Nov-17 20:29:40

I think you are being deliberately inflammatory OP. MPs did not vote on whether animals can feel emotions or pain

That’s what I thought.

Llanali Mon 20-Nov-17 20:30:10

Hear hear, @Nooka

IrritatedUser1960 Mon 20-Nov-17 20:33:57

Disgusting, if you've been brought up with animals you know they feel pain and are sentient.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: