Talk

Advanced search

Can someone give me a wake up call?

(28 Posts)
missladybird Mon 20-Nov-17 15:57:47

I'm 27 and a single parent to dd(3). I don't smoke or drink alcohol but I massively binge on anything sweet. I'm miserable, disgusting and have zero energy. Am I heading for an early grave if I continue with this horrendous diet? For example, I'll eat a 'normal breakfast - usually porridge with bananas and almonds. Then I won't have another meal for the rest of the day.

Today I've eaten a 6 pack of cherry bakewells, 2 ice lollies and 3 kitkats. I'll probably binge again later when dd goes to bed too. I can't stop.

In the past I had an eating disorder where I was petrified of eating and ended up in hospital. Now I've gone the other way.

What do I do?

wheresTheSunroof Mon 20-Nov-17 15:59:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Battleax Mon 20-Nov-17 16:01:00

In the past I had an eating disorder where I was petrified of eating and ended up in hospital. Now I've gone the other way.

It's not exactly "the other way" inasmuch as it's still a form of disordered eating.

You need professional support again.

missladybird Mon 20-Nov-17 16:02:25

Telling me to eat sensibly is like saying 'cheer up' to someone with depression hmm

MissFlashpants Mon 20-Nov-17 16:03:07

Bloody hell sunroof shock

DayKay Mon 20-Nov-17 16:06:44

It sounds like you could have a sugar addiction.
Try starting the day with eggs. Have more protein and less carbs.

Why don’t you have lunch? Try having lots of veg and protein with a bit of good carbs (brown rather than white stuff) Chicken salad, soup, tuna, sandwich, leftovers.

Have dinner and then don’t eat anything after that.

Drink lots of water and find things to do to fill your time.

When do you binge on sugar? Is there a pattern you can see?

Bubblysqueak Mon 20-Nov-17 16:07:31

Try the Paul McKenna app I can make you slim (or something like that). Helped me to completely ignore a buffet of sweets and chocolate at a Halloween party with no effort at all (didn't even fancy any of it dispite my favourites being there).

He teaches you different techniques to help you stop comfort and binge eating and then you fall asleep listening to his night time session.

It helped me loose 3 st.

Bubblysqueak Mon 20-Nov-17 16:08:01

Lose not loose bloody auto correct.

purplecorkheart Mon 20-Nov-17 16:11:27

Could you ask for a referral to a dietician maybe? They would probably be in a good position to advise. Try not to have to have cakes and sweets in the house if you can. Sometimes that help.

SlowlyShrinking Mon 20-Nov-17 16:11:36

Apparently it can be common after being anorexic to go the other way and become either bulimic or develop binge eating disorder. There’s a really good book called ‘brain over binge’ by Kathryn Hansen which explains why this is and how you can stop it. It also might be worth looking into eating low carb high fat. I’ve found this helpful because you don’t get hungry because fat is satiating, but, contrary to popular belief, doesn’t make you fat. There are loads of groups on Facebook dedicated to LCHF/keto way of eating.

sayhellotothelittlefella Mon 20-Nov-17 16:14:52

It does sound like giving in to sugar cravings/addiction and because you haven't eaten all day you go overboard. I have seen a diet that helps people who binge on sugary foods that combats the body's need for sugar by eating nut butters instead - like peanut butter or almond butter. I think the whole earth type varieties are better than for example the sun pat ones. Maybe see if you can find something about it online

misscph1973 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:19:39

Plan every single meal. Have a supermarket delivery so that you avoid the sweet/cakes aisles. Do not go shopping. Stick to your plan. It will become habit, just like your sugar binging has become habit.

Alpacaandgo Mon 20-Nov-17 16:20:30

You realise the problem and that's the first step. What does your dd eat if you are not preparing meals? Maybe you should try a sit down meal with her everyday to fill up that way and don't buy any of those sweet things you've mentioned so they are not in the house in temptations way.

It might also be a good idea to visit your doctor as they may be able to point you in the right direction of getting some good guidance to help you through this .

missladybird Mon 20-Nov-17 16:21:49

I eat to cheer myself up. If I feel low I'll just eat a full packet of biscuits or chocolate bars without a second thought and that will give me a buzz for a while. I eat when I'm upset, stressed or nervous. Basically any negative feelings! I used to have enough control to not buy junk food but now I just can't control it. Even if I don't need anything else from the shop I will go out of my way to make sure I get a 'fix'. It needs to stop.

I'm not obese but I am overweight. You can also see the effects it's having on my face as my skin looks dull and spotty. God knows what damage I'm doing to my organs.

berliozwooler Mon 20-Nov-17 16:23:42

Might it help to follow a complete diet sheet for a few weeks and know exactly what you are having for each meal. Or even get some ready meals in. You could have some fresh veg on the side. Even sticking something in the microwave would be better than loads of chocolate.

fucksakefay Mon 20-Nov-17 16:24:36

Julia Buckroyd
Understanding my eating

It's an absolutely brilliant book and you will stop blaming yourself and understand why you eat in a disordered way

www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Your-Eating-Worry-About-ebook/dp/B005LJY4BG?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Once you've read it I'd highly recommend therapy to follow up, but if you can't afford it / have to wait too long for NHS referral, the book has some good self help exercises to work through

fucksakefay Mon 20-Nov-17 16:25:14

By the way Julia Buckroyd completely gets that over eating / binge eating is an eating disorder and writes about the causes

cherrycola2004 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:26:58

Not helpful but I’m the same. I eat junk to get a buzz and sort of cheers me up. Like you I had (still have) an eating disorder. flowers

DayKay Mon 20-Nov-17 16:29:19

Do you do any exercise?
The hormones released when you exercise can make you feel good and help your mood.
Do you think you can do some exercise when your dd goes to sleep instead of eating crap?
YouTube have some good short exercise sessions.

Do you like fruit? I know it’s sugar too but switch to fruit for your evening snacking. A bunch of grapes may not sound as appealing as cake but when you eat them, you can still feel quite satisfied as you’ve had a sugar hit. Have a big glass of water too and some herbal tea.
Once you’ve warned yourself off the carby cakes and junk, then you can start reducing the snacking.

SD1978 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:29:22

As others have said- this is still an eating disorder. You need to talk to your go about getting counseling again. Being alone is hard, and boring once your DD is in bed. Have you tried online food shopping? Limit the amount of treats you buy, and don’t go into food shops, then you can’t eat what you don’t have. The most important thing is to realise that it’s a problem, which you have. I hope you can find a way through it x

FlowerPot1234 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:39:36

Buy a really great cookbook not written by a TV chef.
Work out what you will eat for the next 3 days, or a week if you can.
Write your shopping lists.
Do not veer off the list.
Only buy from that list.

Don't have any junk in your house.
Clear your cupboards.
Get used to a shake mid morning after your porridge.

Olivetappas Mon 20-Nov-17 16:40:05

you have zero energy because your not eating meals throughout the day
Your binging on sweet things at night as your craving sugar rush as u have zero energy as you've not eaten all day ( and the cycle repeats)
I think u need to start preparing meals for throughout the day, weather it be a small lunch and a good size meal for tea time. Or vise versa.
Living off sugar and junk food is no good

Pythonesque Mon 20-Nov-17 16:41:05

Well done for recognising what is going on. I tried low carb bootcamp on here (look up the board!) earlier this year and it turned out to have really positive effects on my cravings. I need to go back to it! In my case it is a combination of cravings and lack of time / will / whatever to plan my meals. I imagine providing meals to your daughter and matching that with realistic meals for yourself is also quite tricky.

Have a read of the bootcamp threads and see if you find motivation there to change how you are eating - it may work for you. You probably don't need to go massively low carb if you are only a bit overweight, but constructing your diet differently may prove more maintainable. Good luck.

OhNoFuckADuck Mon 20-Nov-17 16:42:14

Can you find something different to cheer you up? Maybe have a list of stuff written on lolly sticks in a plant pot and pick one to just do quick when you need a lift? Cos it sounds a bit as if you might just be a bit bored - and maybe lonely? Also how about getting into cooking? Would you be able to think of interesting things to shop for/cook with DD? It would be good for her to have proper meals and to be able to share them with you.

JaneEyre70 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:44:52

If you want a wake up call, being very truthful you are on the fast train to high blood pressure and diabetes. I know because that's right where years of eating junk and never being full has got me sad. Now i'm on medication for it all, I feel a million times better. I walk 4/5 miles a day, watch the carbs I'm eating and try to never eat sugar. If I do, I feel absolutely horrendous for 48 hours after. Sugar really is a poison to our systems, and it's in so many everyday foods.
You really need to be a positive role model to your DD, and together eat well and look after yourselves. It's the greatest gift to yourself and to her flowers. It isn't easy, but you can do it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: