Talk

Advanced search

Road Safety

(11 Posts)
Chrys71 Mon 20-Nov-17 15:04:53

Councils are keen to keep the road safety message fresh in the minds of 5-11 year olds but Government cuts are undermining its efficacy.

Jaxhog Mon 20-Nov-17 15:06:21

Then reinforce it yourself. If everyone did this, the government wouldn't have to worry about it.

GladAllOver Mon 20-Nov-17 15:06:22

And your AIBU is?

Chrys71 Mon 20-Nov-17 15:25:37

Do you know which side of a parked vehicle it's safer to cross by? Many parents don't and it's one of the biggest causes of death or serious injury amongst Primary age.

LurkingHusband Mon 20-Nov-17 15:47:20

Do you know which side of a parked vehicle it's safer to cross by? Many parents don't and it's one of the biggest causes of death or serious injury amongst Primary age.

Sounds like a good idea to restrict parking near schools then ?

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Mon 20-Nov-17 15:49:34

Sounds like a good idea to restrict parking near schools then

It might interest you to know that people cross roads in places other than outside schools.

wheresTheSunroof Mon 20-Nov-17 16:02:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

IHaveACuntingPlan Mon 20-Nov-17 16:23:08

Tbh I think it's not really the job of the school and of the council to teach road safety; that should fall on the parents. It can be reinforced in schools but really, the only way children will learn road safety is by doing it and by parents modelling it every single time they cross or walk near a road.

Sirzy Mon 20-Nov-17 16:26:39

Surely it’s down to parents to teach children how to cross the road safely?

safariboot Mon 20-Nov-17 16:34:56

Do you know which side of a parked vehicle it's safer to cross by?

In the rare case there's a parked vehicle, I'd say safer to cross somewhere else. But usually there's a near continuous line of parked vehicles.

Chrys71 Mon 20-Nov-17 17:25:58

In the inner cities where most of the casualties occur, parked cars are the norm. The responses here pretty much prove my point. Parents are often the worst people to teach road safety.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: