Talk

Advanced search

It's a Christmas dinner one (lighthearted)

(16 Posts)
MyKingdomForACaramel Sun 19-Nov-17 21:41:12

So it's an odd tradition in my family to have baked beans with Christmas dinner (and I do mean baked - you have to bake a tin in the oven). We all know it's odd- but we stick to it nonetheless. Does anyone else have an odd tradition?

EastMidsMummy Sun 19-Nov-17 21:44:06

WTF? How did it start!

MyKingdomForACaramel Sun 19-Nov-17 21:46:26

I think with my nan during ww2 - though that could just be an excuse!

DeadDoorpost Sun 19-Nov-17 21:49:50

not a food one but my brother has to scream "it's christmas" before we can open the presents.

And we have to have a Brussel sprout on our plate even if we don't like them (those who don't like them can then pass them off to someone who does so ill end up with maybe 4 extras)

MyKingdomForACaramel Sun 19-Nov-17 21:54:34

@deaddoor Aww love that! I'd be the one polishing up the spare Brussels

Glumglowworm Sun 19-Nov-17 21:59:21

I have to have sprouts. I dont really like them, certainly wouldn't normally choose them, I live alone so end up buying a bag of sprouts and eating about two. But it's Christmas so sprouts are compulsory. apart from the one year I forgot to cook them

Hassled Sun 19-Nov-17 22:02:41

Our Christmas tradition is that my brother and I have a heated argument every single year about how no amount of poncing about with chestnuts and pancetta will make sprouts taste of anything other than sprouts, which I hate, and as I'm hosting it's really up to me not him what I cook, and no he can't get in my way cook them himself. Every year. You'd think he'd have given up by now, but he's nothing if not persistent.

CoffeenoTea Sun 19-Nov-17 22:02:56

A family member of mine has rice with every roast dinner they have. ITs so odd.

MyKingdomForACaramel Sun 19-Nov-17 22:08:21

@cofeeno- see I think rice is odd - but I'm the woman shoving Heinz into an ovenproof dish 😂

MyKingdomForACaramel Sun 19-Nov-17 22:16:49

Haha oh I love sprouts but am constantly trying to make them appealing to everyone!

user1497997754 Sun 19-Nov-17 22:19:41

Sprouts mashed with butter and black pepper yummy

Imalloutofoptions Sun 19-Nov-17 22:37:02

We also all have to have a single Brussel sprout on our plate, my daughter eats every ones left over sprouts. One year, she ate 15 (she counted, she was 4). They're now long past believing in Father Christmas but for some reason, every single year before opening presents both children say 'he's been!' I think it's sweet.

Grilledaubergines Sun 19-Nov-17 22:44:07

Does the tin not explode?

How do they turn out, compared to the more usual pouring them into a saucepan?

TooGood2BeFalse Mon 20-Nov-17 07:33:21

I LOVE baked beans OP. I think thats a bloody hilarious tradition grin

No weird traditions as such, except that I won't stay around to put all the presents out, it kills the magic blush So at the ripe old age of 30 and with 2 kids, my dad and brother/sister/sil etc sort all the piles out so it still surprises me in the morning grin

can you tell I was the baby of the family before all these kids came along

LaBelleSausage Mon 20-Nov-17 07:58:38

PIL do mushy peas and baked beans as the only veg.
No carrots, swede, cabbage, sprouts, etc.

They do have roast potatoes, two kinds of meat, two or three kinds of stuffing, Yorkshire puddings, two kinds of sausages with and without bacon, loads of gravy, then mushy peas and baked beans!

And no bread sauce, cranberry sauce, anything like that.

FIL likes meat but not veg and doesn’t see why there’s a place for it at Christmas. I find it utterly bizarre!

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 20-Nov-17 08:28:13

BIL has gherkins. They are the only vegetables he has on his Christmas dinner apart from more roast potatoes than everyone else put together.

First time we hosted them, I knew about the gherkins but didn't know about his expectations re roast potatoes. I cooked what I thought was a generous amount, and expected leftovers, but he piled in and took a load and then took seconds and DP and I got about 2 scrappy ones each. I had to cook more the next day to eat with our leftover meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now