Talk

Advanced search

Help - painful throat?

(35 Posts)
VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 19-Nov-17 19:25:12

Had my tonsils out as an adult 14 years ago, so it's not that!

My throat is very very sore on one side. It looks white but inflamed on that side of the back of the throat and where the tonsils used to be, IYSWIM. It's not closing up.

Swallowing is very painful, and I'm struggling with it, just like I used to when my throat basically closed up. Sleep is a nightmare, I'm waking up every few minutes choking and struggling to swallow. I feel like someone has beaten me head to toe with a cricket bat.

I'm presenting a case in court tomorrow (ha!) and have to drive 3hours each way to get there, so calling in sick is not an option

I have the usual battery of OTC meds in the house and a shit load of alcohol but nothing specifically for throats. No 24hr pharmacy options in rural Cornwall.

What can I do to get some bloody sleep tonight?! Save me!

Monoblock67 Sun 19-Nov-17 19:28:47

I think you need to go to out of hours OP, sounds really nasty. Is there a 24he supermarket even? Throat spray can be really relieving

Sparklesocks Sun 19-Nov-17 19:29:51

Ouch I sympathise OP! That’s the worst.

You might have picked up cold like symptoms from the recent weather change. I find gargling warm salt water helps when I have a sore throat as it reduces the swelling and helps chase out the bacteria, but Unfortunately there’s not much you can do but wait it out, stay hydrated and only eat soft foods. Hope you feel better!

MyrtleMaracas Sun 19-Nov-17 19:32:31

I know drs don't like giving antibiotics for bog standard colds and sniffs but in your case it does sound like strep throat.
As you've got a court case and can't be off I would go to out of hours beg for some penicillin, drink lots of water and fingers crossed it'll improve by tomorrow. Ime abs kick in really quickly for bacterial throat infections. Obviously if it's viral they won't work but no harm in trying.

thelastredwinegum Sun 19-Nov-17 19:33:55

I know it's envy but got any TCP you can gargle?

GinPleaseOrTen Sun 19-Nov-17 19:38:42

Paracetamol and ibuprofen time about every 3 hours and plenty fluids should help if you have a fever, or possibly help avoid it. I had the same at the end of last week followed by a severe headache and sickness which landed me in the hospital so if you feel it worsening get on the phone to 111.

Cakesprinkles Sun 19-Nov-17 19:43:05

I had this last week, and felt dreadful-on the plus side it was strep throat and I was given antibiotics and felt so much better within 24 hours. Definitely get to out of hours ASAP and get some penicillin.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 19-Nov-17 19:56:42

Oof, OOH here is dreadful... Will have to look into it.... Definitely no chemist or shop options, we are the back of beyond!

Sadly no TCP in the house. Will sort salt gargle and put a mug of water on the radiators as the central heating has been on today.

I used to have antibiotics at least 8 times a year before the surgery, so have been trying to avoid them ever since.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Sun 19-Nov-17 20:01:24

Have you got a petrol station open late? Some of them have mini sections of stuff behind the counter. If you can get it, even tomo I recommend strefen. It has flurbiprofen in it which will help numb the area. Only throat sweet ever that numbs the throat not the tongue! Good luck for tomorrow

Crunchymum Sun 19-Nov-17 20:09:58

Soluble paracetamol?

IvorHughJarrs Sun 19-Nov-17 20:59:58

Paracetamol, ibuprofen and plenty of fluids now
When you can get to a chemist get Strefen lozenges or Chloraseptic throat spray. They are the only things I have found to help a really bad throat

Polarbearflavour Sun 19-Nov-17 21:04:45

I had this last week - co-codamol was the only thing to work pain wise.

Rainbowqueeen Sun 19-Nov-17 21:06:50

eat a spoonful of honey very slowly

Hope it gets bettersoon

Allthewaves Sun 19-Nov-17 21:18:26

Difflam throat spray, lots if ibuprofen, honey and lemon juice in warm water. If it's strep you can get feverish too

Worldsworstcook Sun 19-Nov-17 21:29:51

Lots of fuzzy drink - the bubbles clean the crap off your throat

BakedBeans47 Sun 19-Nov-17 21:35:56

Ow I feel your pain literally. I suffer a lot with sore throats.

If you can get to a pharmacy I would suggest difflam spray and/or tyrozets lozenges. They numb the throat. As for drinks I find luke warm drinks best too hot or too cold are painful. Luke warm water or ribena x hope you feel better soon.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 19-Nov-17 21:43:44

I'm literally getting worse as the evening goes goes on... Now a bit feverish and achy joints. Need sleep more than anything else, so OOH not a goer given I have to be on the road at about 8am.

Have had a couple of lemsips, some ibuprofen and a vitamin C thing. Gargled a dispersible aspirin. Drunk 2 pints of water.

Off to bed in a mo, flagging now! Frankly, if I feel like death in the morning it's not safe to drive (I don't want to fall asleep at the wheel) so will have to make the decision on whether I'm fit to drive 6hrs or not. FFS.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 19-Nov-17 21:44:23

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions, I'll hit the pharmacy in the morning come what may!

nocoolnamesleft Sun 19-Nov-17 22:08:09

Alternate gargling aspirin with gargling salt water helps a bit. Difflam spray is amazing, but you'd have to get your hands on some.

MichaelFabricantsHair Sun 19-Nov-17 22:25:44

Sounds very similar to what I've been struggling with over the past few days, it's grim. Cocodamol is taking the edge off and I've found ice lollies give temporary relief. It's morphed into a horrible head cold for me, hope it bogs off soon, I'm fed up.
Hope you feel better soon flowers

Pinkvoid Sun 19-Nov-17 22:32:04

White is a sign of infection and fwiw it’s very possible to get a throat infection without tonsils. You need to see a doctor, possibly will need penicillin. I know when I get tonsillitis it’s always white which indicates bacterial rather than viral and won’t go away without penicillin.

As for pain relief, I gargle aspirin and place a hot water bottle on my ear to sleep. Hope you feel better soon.

Nicae Sun 19-Nov-17 22:34:11

Just a thought but could it be scarlet fever? My daughters both had it and it comes with a very sore throat as well as rash (although that came later) and extreme tiredness. Can be nasty so might be worth getting checked.

Givemeallthechocolate Sun 19-Nov-17 22:45:44

You can still get tonsilitis after having tonsils out, I suffer a few times a year and I had my tonsils out 12 years ago. I tell everyone who will listen...... and you know what they told me I had?! But I have no tonsils!

Sorry, I do love to babble on, what we use in our house when the world can't stop and we're suffering;
Blue robutussin- it's for coughs but honestly it really helps soothe.
Numbing throat spray,
paracetamol and ibuprofen alternated each 3 hours.
I also love to suck cherry drops when I'm ill.

Do get to Drs ASAP, it could be strep throat, I remember the Christmas I had it vividly. I really felt so poorly,
Hope you feel better soon!

QuestionableMouse Sun 19-Nov-17 23:02:57

Don't take ibuprofen and aspirin at the same time (gargling it counts too!) I was told not to take them within 12 hours of each other by my GP.

It doesn't sound like you'll be well enough to drive in the morning. You need to see a doctor- there are some online services staffed by GPs now who can prescribe. If you can use on of those and get the prescription sent to a nearby chemist, you might be able to start taking antibiotics tonight.

missm0ppet Sun 19-Nov-17 23:05:07

I suffer from something similar despite having my tonsils out years ago. I get it approx 3 times a year and it’s awful. In the short term you need tyrozets, solpadeine ( ideally soluble so you can gargle then swallow it) and ibruprofen. I don’t always need antibiotics as if often goes by itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now