Talk

Advanced search

To think MIL is out of order?

(68 Posts)
Butterfr33 Sat 18-Nov-17 19:15:55

NC for this...

It's DP's brother's 23rd birthday today and he's having a meal with all his siblings and partners. We're the only ones with a DC and with no babysitter, I've said I'll stay with DD so DP can go and enjoy his DB's birthday.

MIL has asked DB if he can can take her DD so his little sister (10yo) along. MIL is not an easy person to say no to. So now a 10yo is going along to a meal along with a bunch of people in their early 20's. She is going to bored, moan and everyone is going to have to mind what they say around her.

AIBU to think MIL is out of order for asking this? Knowing full well that it's not what the birthday boy would want. I feel sorry for him tbh.

MrsPicklesonSmythe Sat 18-Nov-17 19:18:09

I couldn't really get worked up about this. Birthday boy hasn't protested presumably and your DP has agreed so..

honeysucklejasmine Sat 18-Nov-17 19:20:17

I wouldn't do it, but it's up to your dp to say no.

Wolfiefan Sat 18-Nov-17 19:20:54

Why shouldn't she go to her brother's meal?

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 18-Nov-17 19:23:30

It won't affect you, you won't even be there.

Or could you volunteer to babysit the ten year old at yours, instead of her being bored at the meal?

toriatoriatoria Sat 18-Nov-17 19:24:29

I think it is not really your place to get annoyed. If it was your birthday then I would definitely say this is unreasonable however as it's your partner's brothers birthday is his place to decide.

Grimbles Sat 18-Nov-17 19:26:36

If, as you said, it's a meal for all his siblings then why is it out of order for his sister to be there?

Hmmalittlefishy Sat 18-Nov-17 19:29:05

It's your bil not your dh.
You're not going
If you say anything to either party - bil or mil you will upset someone.
Stay home with a nice glass of wine out of it all and don't comment on the outcome whichever way it goes!

Belleoftheball8 Sat 18-Nov-17 19:30:46

Why shouldn’t their sister attend?

RemainOptimistic Sat 18-Nov-17 19:33:10

Are you just pissed off that your DC isn't invited? How old are they? Just take them along.

Or, enjoy a nice night to yourself.

bridgetreilly Sat 18-Nov-17 19:33:31

What on earth has this got to do with you? You aren't even going to the dinner because you're staying at home with your DC.

And why wouldn't his sister be at his birthday party?

YABVU.

SaturnUranus Sat 18-Nov-17 19:33:41

I think it would be worse to exclude his sister from an occasion that is supposedly for all the siblings.

Ameliablue Sat 18-Nov-17 19:34:51

She's a sibling and it's a meal, don't see a problem. Surely they can just go on out for a drink or to a club later.

QueenUnicorn Sat 18-Nov-17 19:35:41

You said he was going with "all his siblings."
MIL probably doesn't want her to feel excluded. 10 is not a young child and most adult conversations would be OK for them.

junebirthdaygirl Sat 18-Nov-17 19:38:59

A 10 year old would be fine there. I dont see any problem

Appuskidu Sat 18-Nov-17 19:39:02

I wouldn't do it, but it's up to your dp to say no.

I’m totally lost-what has it got to do with the OP’s dp? Why is it down to him to say no?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 18-Nov-17 19:39:40

Does the 10yo want to go?
Would she be allowed to have a dreaded iPad at the table if she gets fidgity?

Ttbb Sat 18-Nov-17 19:41:21

Not all 10 year olds are annoying brats. I have known sone positively delightful ten year olds that are great fun at dinners and things.

Glumglowworm Sat 18-Nov-17 19:43:31

She's a sibling. All his siblings are going. I'm not seeing the issue.

Even if there was an issue, it should be for BIL to deal with.

TrojansAreSmegheads Sat 18-Nov-17 19:44:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PurpleMinionMummy Sat 18-Nov-17 19:46:17

It's a family meal confused

DancingHouse Sat 18-Nov-17 19:46:32

It's not your birthday and you won't be there to be annoyed about it.

BrioAmio Sat 18-Nov-17 19:47:01

We have a big age gap in our family and the youngest always goes to the family birthday meal,

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sat 18-Nov-17 19:48:23

Why on earth do you care? confused

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Sat 18-Nov-17 19:52:26

My eldest DS would have been fine at that type of thing at the age of 10. It's a very different kettle of fish to a smaller child, and if they are eating out in a public place they should keep their language suitable for 10 year old ears anyway out of courtesy to other customers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: