Talk

Advanced search

To not watch Strictly Come Dancing?!

(42 Posts)
Chrys2017 Sat 18-Nov-17 17:59:33

A very good friend of mine is mad about Strictly Come Dancing. She keeps inviting me over to watch it with her (I always decline) or if she's at my house she will ask me to put the telly on when it's on. I find the whole thing a tedious affair and have told her so—I've even gone so far as to say I can't bloody stand it. Now, this evening she's having a party with a bunch of 'the girls' so they can all get boozed up and watch it together. I've told her I don't want to come (actually I said it was nice of her to think of me but no thanks) and now she's miffed with me. AIBU?

ilovesooty Sat 18-Nov-17 18:01:48

Is this a serious question?

Of course not, and she's rude to come to your house and ask you to put it on.

TrojansAreSmegheads Sat 18-Nov-17 18:03:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chrys2017 Sat 18-Nov-17 18:05:31

I'm starting to think it's some kind of mental disorder. We were even at another friend's party recently and she had to excuse herself when it came on and go and watch it on the telly in the kitchen. What's more, a few other people actually went in and joined her!

TheSnowFairy Sat 18-Nov-17 18:06:14

YABU.

"A tedious affair"?

Pfft.

KarmaStar Sat 18-Nov-17 18:06:35

Hi,
No of course you are NBU.
She must know you don't like it by now so too be miffed is childish.
Enjoy your evening your way.🌼

Chrys2017 Sat 18-Nov-17 18:06:57

I have sat through it a couple of times with her under duress. You're not allowed to chat when it's on—you have to keep your attention completely on the programme.

ilovesooty Sat 18-Nov-17 18:07:06

I usually watch it but I've spent two Saturdays recently at the house of a friend who doesn't and I wouldn't have dreamed of asking to watch.

Cheeseandcucumber Sat 18-Nov-17 18:07:45

YBVU, strictly is the best thing EVER and your friend sounds great! grin

WorraLiberty Sat 18-Nov-17 18:08:05

A mental disorder because she wants to watch a live show, rather than record it and risk finding out the result? confused

Errrr yes, YABU.

You should always watch things on TV that don't interest you in any way whatsoever...

AlpacaLypse Sat 18-Nov-17 18:09:00

I absolutely cannot stand Strictly and I really don't 'get' this whole reality competition thing. I'm the same with Bake Off too. So yanbu and your friend is deeply sad. Like a worryingly large number of other people to be fair!

BeyondThePage Sat 18-Nov-17 18:09:21

You know she loves it, so why not go with the fun for her sake... like friends do...

I can't stand Game of Thrones but will watch it with hubby to be companionable.

TalkinBoutWhat Sat 18-Nov-17 18:09:53

Soooo, what was that friend's number....???

Oh, and YABVVVVVVU.....wink

PoppyPopcorn Sat 18-Nov-17 18:10:08

I'm a Strictly fan - my 11 year old and I watch it every week and we go to the live tour too. But we're off to friends for food tonight and I wouldn't dream of asking them to put it on. I'll see it tomorrow on iPlayer and that way I can ff through the nauseating Ms McGee too

Happydoingitjusttheonce Sat 18-Nov-17 18:14:17

I’ll watch these shows and enjoy them if I happen to be in front of the tv when they’re on. But the obsession is ridiculous in grown adults. As is the ire at “spoilers”

ElephantsandTigers Sat 18-Nov-17 18:24:03

You think she has a mental disorder because she enjoys watching a perfectly acceptable programme ? Seriously ?

Chrys2017 Sat 18-Nov-17 18:24:46

I tried to go along with the 'fun' a couple of times but she takes it really seriously! And I just find the whole thing extremely irritating.. the hosts, the presenters, the competitors...
If I wanted to watch dancing I'd go to the ballet (as I sometimes do) and watch professionals who are good at it!

user1497545304 Sat 18-Nov-17 18:27:28

Oh lord.

This is the definition of first world problems. wink

Appuskidu Sat 18-Nov-17 18:29:50

I'm starting to think it's some kind of mental disorder

WFT?!

iklboo Sat 18-Nov-17 18:30:02

Each to their own. I can't understand the hysteria over football or some people's behaviour when it's on (FIL demanding it on and everyone be quiet, BIL2 watching it on his phone at the table at a family dinner, humungous sulks when 'their' team loses etc).

Insomnibrat Sat 18-Nov-17 18:30:51

'A mental disorder'???

YABVFU angry

PeiPeiPing Sat 18-Nov-17 18:31:30

Nope don't get it either.

I think it's boring and over-rated.

Same with bake off, x factor, BGT, Big brother etc.

All.

Shite.

RolfNotRudolf Sat 18-Nov-17 18:31:38

I have tried watching because everyone else seems to think its so great and I simply cannot. It's too noisy, too shouty, too glitzy and the slebs in the little films and the bit where they crowd round Claudia are just too much. And don't start me on the wanky judges and the dancers being in awe of them. And I love Claudia in Sewing Bee but find this programme unwatchable. I would enjoy the dances I think if it wasn't for all the other guff.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 18-Nov-17 18:31:58

I love to watch it, but I don't take it terribly seriously. Plus nobody else likes it that I know except my Mum, so I have a like-minded group of very funny people on FB and we watch and bitch about it together. I can understand that she loves it, but can't understand why she would be annoyed with you for not liking it.

PeiPeiPing Sat 18-Nov-17 18:32:57

WOAH !!! Just noticed the 'she may have a mental disorder' comment.

Well out of fucking order!

Nasty. Some friend you are @Chrys2017 angry

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: